Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #3192
Gray/Black Holding Tanks

I have aThor 24.1 Vegas. The holding tanks exit is designed weird. It faces up? It's hard to get the flush started sometimes and there is always something left in the pipe. Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1023 View Post
I have aThor 24.1 Vegas. The holding tanks exit is designed weird. It faces up? It's hard to get the flush started sometimes and there is always something left in the pipe. Any suggestions?
If it's the outlet it is my understanding that it can be rotated.

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Andy,

Welcome to the school of hard knocks (apparently those at Thor enjoy keeping some things a secret). There is a plate on the floor of the cubical that houses your gray and black valves, it is below the valves and it unscrews (eventually and with enough effort) and can be put aside.

Then the hook-up center piece between the gray and black tank valves will rotate forward and point down out of the hole. Be sure both gray and black valves are fully closed (rest assured you will only make that mistake once) for you see on my Vegas you have to take the cover piece off of the part that rotates or else it binds on the floor of the cubical.

Gloves, eye protection and a mask makes for a much safer draining of the gray and black water.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

THOR #3192
Thanks. Will give it a try.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As a note, someone reported on another thread that their dump access cover was screwed in from underneath the coach rather than from inside the compartment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2521
On my Vegas 24.1, I unscrewed the cover, put it away, rotated the valve downward, then just left it that way. Now it looks like my old rv looked. When we park, all I need do is attach the sewer hose to the already exposed valve.
John
Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
If it was screwed on from underneath, don't put it back on that way when you disconnect. Rotate the disconnect up and screw the plate on from inside. If the plate comes loose and it is screwed on from outside, you will loose the plate. If it comes loose when screwed on from inside it will stay on the floor of the compartment.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:57 AM   #8
ETS

Model: VEGAS 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3213
no s--- I just joined the forum today and already amazed - I have been dealing with the upside down drain since April 2015 - hiding my rinse at the end of a dump
We bought our 2015 VEGAS 24.1 in Myrtle Beach and love it - outside of some issues like described above - can't wait to read on

Anyone have a problem with house battery switch?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #9

THOR #3192
Thanks. Will try and see how it goes. Getting cold here in NY.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 AM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
ET,

Look at other threads this forum regarding the house battery wiring and then look inside the house battery area. If the batteries have shifted towards the rear of the compartment they may be touching a fairly well hidden switch with a funny looking yellow reset lever.

Not sure what you have going on with your switch but that hidden one can cause problems if it gets pressed by the batteries sliding around.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #11

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
It's sad, but from the number of people who don't know about the swiveling dump outlet I'd guess that not 1 in 100 are told about it during the PDI walkthrough. Doesn't speak well of the level of understanding that sales and service personnel have of the products they sell.

We didn't get that little tidbit either - found out about it online...

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
It's sad, but from the number of people who don't know about the swiveling dump outlet I'd guess that not 1 in 100 are told about it during the PDI walkthrough. Doesn't speak well of the level of understanding that sales and service personnel have of the products they sell.

We didn't get that little tidbit either - found out about it online...

Regards,

Randy
Could be lack of understanding of product, but could also be of their customers.

I think there is a high probability that they know how it works, but assume buyers know how it works or will figure it out on their own. There are a lot of things on an RV that to people working in the industry seem like common sense, but to the rest of us it isn't intuitive. And for new RVers who aren't technically oriented even more so.

And as RVs have become more complicated (call it more sophisticated if it sounds better) it takes a trained expert to figure stuff out and to keep it running.