Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2024, 04:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #32100
Smile Guidelines for parking for seasonal use

Hello,

We purchased our 2023 Thor Challenger 36FA last year and found a very nice seasonal site we will be using from April to October (and winter storage at the same place) here in Ohio. We made some trips last year and put some miles on the rig.

What are the recommendations for running the engine/generator and any other helpful things (tires/etc.) I will need to keep in mind and do?

When I get close to retirement and working remotely we will travel around (and spend winters down south) but for the next 1-3 years we will be more than likely using a seasonal site.

Thanks in advance!

Randy.

Randy..

Old 03-17-2024, 04:38 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Well seasonal storage and use is about like winter storage. Exercise the generator and chassis engine every few months. I assume you have power at the site, otherwise you need a way to keep the batteries charged- solar?

I would also move the rig a few times each season to keep the tires from getting flattened. Once around the campground should do it. If you are in strong sun most of the time, put tire covers on.

David
Old 03-17-2024, 04:56 PM   #3

THOR #32100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Well seasonal storage and use is about like winter storage. Exercise the generator and chassis engine every few months. I assume you have power at the site, otherwise you need a way to keep the batteries charged- solar?

I would also move the rig a few times each season to keep the tires from getting flattened. Once around the campground should do it. If you are in strong sun most of the time, put tire covers on.

David
Thanks! Yes, we will have it plugged in all season (I have a Power Watch Dog and plan on installing RV Whisper to keep an eye on things).
Old 03-17-2024, 04:57 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard by the way.
So basically, the MH will be sitting and not driven much for the next few years?
IMO one key issue is going to be keeping fresh fuel in your tank, so you can run the engine on regular basis to keep the engine & transmission lubricated & the genny exercised.
Other issues that need to be considered: Flat spotting the tires is a real concern if the coach sits for extended periods. If tires are left uncovered UV can cause problems. Rust can build up on brake rotors or worse in the brake caliper pistons.
The MH is vehicle and all vehicles are designed to be driven. If it were mine and I had decided on a seasonal site, I would be taking the unit out for an extended drive at least once every few months.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:38 PM   #5

THOR #32100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Welcome aboard by the way.
So basically, the MH will be sitting and not driven much for the next few years?
IMO one key issue is going to be keeping fresh fuel in your tank, so you can run the engine on regular basis to keep the engine & transmission lubricated & the genny exercised.
Other issues that need to be considered: Flat spotting the tires is a real concern if the coach sits for extended periods. If tires are left uncovered UV can cause problems. Rust can build up on brake rotors or worse in the brake caliper pistons.
The MH is vehicle and all vehicles are designed to be driven. If it were mine and I had decided on a seasonal site, I would be taking the unit out for an extended drive at least once every few months.
Thanks! Will definitely take it for a drive every couple of months. Also, will be purchasing tire covers to keep them protected.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:10 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwright68 View Post
Thanks! Will definitely take it for a drive every couple of months. Also, will be purchasing tire covers to keep them protected.
Remember that your tires are aging even though there arenít many miles being on them. Replace the tires according to e age of the tire, not the mileage.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
Remember that your tires are aging even though there arenít many miles being on them. Replace the tires according to e age of the tire, not the mileage.
Or better yet: the condition of the tires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:03 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Last summer I worked in Yellowstone National Park living in my Axis 24.2. Sure it was cool to live and work in such a beautiful place but it was also cool to occasionally load up the motorhome on days off and head out to other interesting places in the area.