Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: M29 Windsport
State: California
THOR #17124
Hall power short causing 9 blinking lights

Both controllers do tnis wnen i power up the coach. I have tl hit the retract switch twice causing bed and or slide to move then bold the switch 5 seconds lights go out until cycle the house batt sw. Any ideas

Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Both controllers do tnis wnen i power up the coach. I have tl hit the retract switch twice causing bed and or slide to move then bold the switch 5 seconds lights go out until cycle the house batt sw. Any ideas
What is "hall power short". Power for what? Is 9 blinking lights a code?

What is "bed and/or slide to move??

Holding a switch down for 5 seconds with nothing moving will cause a fuse to blow.

Very hard to understand what you are talking about. Please have someone help
you with this post.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There are five wires used in the controller to motor cable (the sixth wire purple is not used). One is the 12 volt power that powers the Hall effect sensor (brown) and another is the sensor ground (green) and a third is the Hall effect data signal (blue). The brown wire has come intact with a ground in the coach. The cable is in a chase on the inside edge of the coach next to the slide. The chase ends at the upper and lower gears. I assume the extra length of the cable has come loose from the chase and is rubbing on the gear's track grounding the wire out. Of course the are other places where the cable has worn through grounding the sensor's power.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:40 AM   #4

THOR #17124
Cavie it appears you are not familiar with the the LCI slide system. Maybe you can get someone to help you understand the system and you then will understand what 9 blinking lights are and if you read LCI slide and Thor documents you will see thst holding the sw 5 seconds is recommended to sync the motors. Also you might want to follow others who are having the same issues.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:50 AM   #5

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There are five wires used in the controller to motor cable (the sixth wire purple is not used). One is the 12 volt power that powers the Hall effect sensor (brown) and another is the sensor ground (green) and a third is the Hall effect data signal (blue). The brown wire has come intact with a ground in the coach. The cable is in a chase on the inside edge of the coach next to the slide. The chase ends at the upper and lower gears. I assume the extra length of the cable has come loose from the chase and is rubbing on the gear's track grounding the wire out. Of course the are other places where the cable has worn through grounding the sensor's power.
Hi Beau388,
This issue was given to Lippert a d tbe tech rep said to pull the motor plugs and ohm out the brown hall sensor wire and if there is continuity with the chassis then it is shorted as displayed by the 9 blinking lights. She also had me make sure the green wire was grounded. I did this and all checked ok. On other blogs Thor and LCI recomended contoller changes, motor changes and harness chNgex without help. Today i spoke to Thor Tech Service and the acknowledged the issue and has recommended i go into a junction box under the coach just fwd of the gen and reattach the controller 18 gauge wires since they are common to both slide controllers. Thanks for your input everything helps
Old 10-26-2019, 03:59 AM   #6

THOR #15553
Quote:
Cavie it appears you are not familiar with the the LCI slide system. Maybe you can get someone to help you understand the system and you then will understand what 9 blinking lights are and if you read LCI slide and Thor documents you will see thst holding the sw 5 seconds is recommended to sync the motors. Also you might want to follow others who are having the same issues.
Nothing in your post mentioned anything about an LCI slide system. 4 missed spelled words which I could not figure out. Not knowing what a Hall is and not understanding the bed moving thing makes things a little difficult. I did understand the blinking lights as a code. No I do not know anything about an LCI slide system but now I will research it and learn. A better tittle would have helped. Something like " I need some LCI Slide system help"
Old 10-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #7

THOR #17124
Cavie;
BEAU388 has answered with an excellent explanation of the controller harness.
During your research you probably will not see members naming LCI slides. You might just see slides, because us Thor owners with blinking controller light issues and the need to reset the contollers that will cause that slide to move slightly prior to the light going out all know what system is the subject. To some owners this subject is very sensitive due to the cost of changing parts without positive results. Hopefully i word smithed this enough to be understand.
Good luck
Jim M
2018 Thor Windsport M29
Old 10-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

THOR #6411
Here is the LCI In-Wall Service Manual in pdf form <https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/slideouts/ccd-0001769.pdf>
Old 11-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Sonny, may I suggest that you proof read your posts before sending them. We all have typos but your original was a doozy.

Your original post didn’t make sense due to the typos. Cavie was trying to assist you because you seemed to be seeking help. When I read your post I found it difficult. Perhaps some of us don’t know the secret Thor language and nomenclature so please forgive us.

No matter what, there are probably many here that can help you once we know the problem. Just don’t assume we automatically know your intentions. Most here are not clairvoyant.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #10

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Sonny, may I suggest that you proof read your posts before sending them. We all have typos but your original was a doozy.

Your original post didn’t make sense due to the typos. Cavie was trying to assist you because you seemed to be seeking help. When I read your post I found it difficult. Perhaps some of us don’t know the secret Thor language and nomenclature so please forgive us.

No matter what, there are probably many here that can help you once we know the problem. Just don’t assume we automatically know your intentions. Most here are not clairvoyant.
Delco Bobby, I get it thanks. Now back to anyone that gets 9 blinking lights on the LCI slide controllers when turning on house batteries.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This won't sooth much for you, but:
My slide does the 9 blink code always. It never stops.
The slide works fine. The last thing I wanted was some fixall warranty guy fiddling with it while it was working.
I can tell you, and it may be entirely unrelated, my 110v outlets used to short out on the slide. The slide had crushed a 110v connection box, maybe frying something in that 9 blink system.

Not an idea, not an excuse, this is just a thought for you to file away during your investigation.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #12

THOR #15553
Quote:
Delco Bobby, I get it thanks. Now back to anyone that gets 9 blinking lights on the LCI slide controllers when turning on house batteries.

See page 10. Brake out your multi-meter. Find the short.

https://liferebooted.net/2018-phaeto...ers-Manual.pdf
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 AM   #13

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
See page 10. Brake out your multi-meter. Find the short.

https://liferebooted.net/2018-phaeto...ers-Manual.pdf
I did and the Hall power wire that is suppose to be shorted tests fine. This issue happens on both the bed slide and wall slide controllers. Thor sent replacement controllers but did not help. Being somewhat understanding of digital electronics, I think I will relocate the grounds from their ground posts and make another clean ground. This only happens when the house batteries are turned on. I clear the fault with the reset procedure and I can run the slides in and out without the fault coming back. Turn off the batteries then turn them back on problem comes back.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:17 AM   #14

THOR #17124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
This won't sooth much for you, but:
My slide does the 9 blink code always. It never stops.
The slide works fine. The last thing I wanted was some fixall warranty guy fiddling with it while it was working.
I can tell you, and it may be entirely unrelated, my 110v outlets used to short out on the slide. The slide had crushed a 110v connection box, maybe frying something in that 9 blink system.

Not an idea, not an excuse, this is just a thought for you to file away during your investigation.
Thanks Ducksface I agree with you. I just hate the idea of something like this on a newer coach. Mine also works fine with the blinking lights, but i must push the retract switch twice then the light goes out and the slide works.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #15

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Mine does the same thing on the couch slide when I use shore power after extended it stops blinking and works fine. The bed slide never did it so I just keep using it.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #16

THOR #6411
Quote:
Thanks Ducksface I agree with you. I just hate the idea of something like this on a newer coach. Mine also works fine with the blinking lights, but i must push the retract switch twice then the light goes out and the slide works.
Any time the slide moves the LED blink alternately, slowly. When the slide stops. the lights will blink together until the slide controller is reset. The slide controller can be reset by holding the slide switch in for 3 to 5 seconds after it has stopped moving, pressing the extend/retract switch twice or by pressing the touch switch in the controller. If the slide moves normally, there are no errors. If any error is detect the slide will stop. The error will show with the green LED showing the motor where the error occurred and the red led showing the actual reason the slide stopped. The LEDs will continue to flash the error code until the controller is reset. If you try to move the slide again, the error code will reappear and the slide will not move. If the controller is put into emergency override, the slide will move if one or both motors receive current and all safety functions of the controller are disabled. The controller's LEDs will flash alternately very quickly (5 times as when the slide is moving normally) continually until the controller is reset. Pressing the extend/retract button once will disable the LEDs, but will not reset the controller. Pressing the button in the controller 1 to 6 times will reset the controller. Removing power from the controller for 5 seconds or more will always cause the controller to reset.