Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Problem w/ heat/ac fan and vents

Thor Axis 24.1 2015

Last fall on an extended trip I noticed some "hesitation" in the fan upon turning on the heat or air conditioning a couple of times. Then the fan just stopped operating entirely. Luckily we were able to get by with no heat or cooling for the remainder of the trip

We took it to an "RV whisperer" - guy reputed to be a genius, working out of his own facility in Arizona. Our 2 day repair went over a week. His conclusion - after spending something like 40 hours tracing wires all over the place, he really had no solution. As I remember it, he said the fan leads went into a box? or a computer box? He gave me two alternatives - replace the whole unit for a lot of bucks - and that might work - or he could just "hot wire" the fan. (He was pretty critical of the "spagetti" wiring in my first model year unit... only charge 5 hours labor because he enjoys puzzles and could have just called me and turned down the challenge...)

I went with the second - now whenever I have the ignition turned on and have the "selection" knob turned from Off to one of the heating or cooling alternatives, the fan runs. Not too bad a solution as the fan is quite audible if I turn off the engine and have not turned off the heating/cooling system, so I'm unlikely to forget it on and run down the battery.

Unfortunately, as we were making our return trip this spring, the other shoe dropped. The fan does run just fine, at all speeds... but the baffles that open and close to direct the heated or cooled air to different vents don't operate properly. It seems like the defroster vents are always open, so we were safe to drive - but the console and foot vents don't operate right away when the selector is set. It can take anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes... and then we get full air flow.

Extremely aggravating! Anybody experience anything similar?