Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #4750
Has anyone added AC power surge protection to class-c Sprinter?

Wife and I are about to begin new ventures as we ready to purchase a class-c Sprinter, lease our home, and drive into a year of travel as we search for a new homestead. While we feel confident about our class-c MB Sprinter decision, we have not yet decided which make. We are persuaded toward a 2016/17 single slide unit with the diner, closet, and queen bed on the port side. However, I wish to add a few things to the motorhome which I believe will greatly enhance our boondocking comfort. While most of the things I wish to add are quiet simple, three items concern me because of available space or necessary coach modification, these are: 1) 300 watts roof-mount photo-voltaic, 2) whole-house reverse osmosis for freshwater, and 3) shore AC power surge protection.

Has anyone installed shore AC power surge protection to their class-c Sprinter? If so, how did you accomplish this? Any suggestions about how to best proceed?

Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
Wife and I are about to begin new ventures as we ready to purchase a class-c Sprinter, lease our home, and drive into a year of travel as we search for a new homestead. While we feel confident about our class-c MB Sprinter decision, we have not yet decided which make. We are persuaded toward a 2016/17 single slide unit with the diner, closet, and queen bed on the port side. However, I wish to add a few things to the motorhome which I believe will greatly enhance our boondocking comfort. While most of the things I wish to add are quiet simple, three items concern me because of available space or necessary coach modification, these are: 1) 300 watts roof-mount photo-voltaic, 2) whole-house reverse osmosis for freshwater, and 3) shore AC power surge protection.

Has anyone installed shore AC power surge protection to their class-c Sprinter? If so, how did you accomplish this? Any suggestions about how to best proceed?
I installed a Progressive Industries unit in my coach, which isn't a Sprinter, but I can't imagine it being too much different. It's a relatively small box hardwired in near the auto changeover relay switch that switches between shore and genny power. If the coach doesn't have this, it would go at the point where the shore power comes in.
Shouldn't be too hard to find a spot for it I would think
Old 07-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post

We have a Sure Guard Surge Protector which mounts on the post. (we have had it for several years)
Once attached to the AC outlet on the post, it goes through a complete stage of checking out the power supply...once it has finished, it sounds and at that time you can plug your power cord to the rv. These items come in various price categories, depending on how many checks they perform.
Money well spent to protect all your appliances and electronic devices against a power surge while hooked up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge protector.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2408
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Whichever you choose hardwired or portable, I would definitely do it. Ours is 50 amp portable & has saved us a couple times due park pedestal problems.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

THOR #4750
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have researched and am persuaded to install a Progressive EMS in the coach … assuming there is an appropriate location for the install. My real issue is where to physically mount the EMS to accomplish a tidy install. Space seems very limited in the Sprinter class-c coach, but, I am only guessing since have no actual experience inside the coach. However, this issue will affect my coach purchase decision. Certainly, I can do this simple electrical work myself, but I'd much rather throw it into the coach purchase negotiation and pay a competent technician to complete the task. The factory rep dances around the question and refers me to a dealer. The dealers promise the world while giving you that “dumb cow” gaze, suggesting that they really haven't a clue. So I come here to meet Sprinter coach owners with real knowledge and experience. I am beginning to wonder if it is even possible to install a neatly fitted EMS into a Sprinter class-c. While a portable unit would certain satisfy system protection needs, I am leaning toward a coach install for several reasons, including security and personal laziness.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
pay a competent technician
The key word here is "competent"...good luck finding one!

I also think that you'll find there is plenty of room for such a unit even in an RV as small as you are looking at.

In our 24.1 there is tons of "internal" room for such devices...

As an example here is next to our water tank in our (only 25ft) motorhome:

(Took this to illustrate how to winterize)

If you look to the left behind the water tank there is plenty enough room there to install:
  • An accumulator
  • An inverter
  • A surge supressor
Probably enough room for all 3! That empty space continues to behind the drawers and only ends near the generator (where the generator 120V feed comes into the camper).

I think you'll find there is a lot of internal "dead" space like this in any Sprinter unit you are looking at.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
As for your choice of a Sprinter type Class C just make sure you fit
into the toilet area and the shower (if it has one).
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

THOR #4750
JamieGeek – thanks ... your photograph is worth a thousand words as it also answers a few of my other questions. Yes ... competent, was a strategically selected word, and the more I discuss this issues with dealers, the more I am realizing that competence and skill were not job prerequisite. While it is often enjoyable to do much of this kind of work on my own project, I also don't necessarily object paying competent people for the service. However, I am quickly learning that these jobs will best left to me.

Phil Saran … wow! Have got that right! At 6'4” 300-pounds, most folks think I'm big guy … but really, I'm just a cuddling puppy. Yeah, the very thing I do when I view these coaches is get into the shower stall close the door and test movement. The second thing I do is sit down to act as though I am making an appropriate political donation. These are both tight, but generally doable without damaging the coach. However, I suspect that while boondocking I'll frequently fertilize the landscape with cat-holes and terrorize the wildlife with outdoor showers. Something I am quite accustom to with lots of primitive camping experience. My wife, however, who is quite petite, finds everything in these coaches very comfortable. I'm sure you know how that works: “A happy wife, a happy life” … thus the driving force behind most of the modification I wish to make.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #9

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I had the Progressive Industries 30 amp Surge Protector mounted in the back of the small compartment where the power cord is stored. Negotiated as part of the purchase agreement, both the unit and the installation. Model EMS-LCHW30 has a display showing voltage, amps and any error codes. Siesta Sprinter 24ft Class C

Did not get remote display but the display is visible through the compartment door.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #10

THOR #4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
I had the Progressive Industries 30 amp Surge Protector mounted in the back of the small compartment where the power cord is stored. Negotiated as part of the purchase agreement, both the unit and the installation. Model EMS-LCHW30 has a display showing voltage, amps and any error codes. Siesta Sprinter 24ft Class C

Did not get remote display but the display is visible through the compartment door.
That's good to know, thanks ...