Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #4750
Has anyone added whole-house reverse osmosis to class-c Sprinter?

Wife and I are about to begin new ventures as we ready to purchase a class-c Sprinter, lease our home, and drive into a year of travel as we search for a new homestead. While we feel confident about our class-c MB Sprinter decision, we have not yet decided which make. We are persuaded toward a 2016/17 single slide unit with the diner, closet, and queen bed on the port side. However, I wish to add a few things to the motorhome which I believe will greatly enhance our boondocking comfort. While most of the things I wish to add are quiet simple, three items concern me because of available space or necessary coach modification, these are: 1) 300 watts roof-mount photo-voltaic, 2) whole-house reverse osmosis for freshwater, and 3) shore AC power surge protection.

Here I would like ask if anyone has added whole-house reverse osmosis to their class-c Sprinter? If so, how did you accomplish this and where did you install the filters? Any suggestions about how to best proceed?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
A reverse osmosis water system seems like a lot of weight and cost for a small RV. I have traveled all over the US and Canada (including Alaska) and water is available everywhere you go. I used to go the Bahamas in my boat and we could last two weeks on 80 gallons of water and some cases of bottled water to drink. With 40 gallons of water in an RV and extra water to drink, you can easily last a week. Are you really going places where you will not be able to fill your tank in a week? Even in the middle of Denali National Park in Akaska, there was water available.
I have always believed in the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid. Every additional complex system you add to your RV (or boat) is another one to break and for you to fix or find someone to fix it for you on the road. Make sure you really need it - not just nice to have or you might need it. It will save you a lot of heartache.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #4750
Thank you for the comment. I suppose I should have clarified my question. I understand how RO systems work and the various economy ratios associated with booster pumps, filter configuration, tank fill time, and brine waste. I use an RO system with a battery operated pump on my mountain camping property, with both sediment and carbon pre-filtering because of turbidity, mineral content and high pH. At this camp, using three 150 gpd RO filters, I can fill my 50 gallons reserve camp tank from my well-spring in about 4 hours. I am not concerned about the 100-gallon brine dump there because I let it flow back into the stream.
However, back to the motorcoach issue. I have read many discussions debating the pro and con of doing whole house installs … it is an active debate with many points on both sides. I apologize for starting that debate here … that was not my intent. Rather, I was hoping to focus on the ability to accomplish a neat and tidy physical install into a Sprinter class-c, and leave discussion about practicality and brine waste to those other threads.