Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37FH
State: Florida
THOR #15750
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeoneil View Post
Recent trip from Ohio to Texas and back. Check MPG twice. 14 MGP and 16 MPG. running 65 70 MPG towing an Honda Fit. I was amazed. Last coach got 7-8.
I have a 2020 37FH and the best I get towing a Fiat 500 is 8.2 on flat Florida ground.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:56 AM   #22

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS50 View Post
I have a 2020 37FH and the best I get towing a Fiat 500 is 8.2 on flat Florida ground.
I'm highly suspect of anyone getting much over 8 mpg with the V10, especially while towing. I average 8 on my Miramar with over 12,000 miles. Only one I've ever heard geting in the teens has been a diesel... And they need it with the price of their fuel.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 AM   #23

THOR #15750
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
The Challenger 37FH looks like a great floor plan -would love to hear from a owner. If you have purchased one, please share. Thanks!

We purchased a 2020 Challenger 37FH. LOVE the floor plan! Some advice ... The Camping World we purchased from has had no training on the coach. They are really trying hard to work out the kinks but are not even close and we purchased in July 2019 and this is 23 Sept 2019.

Make sure where ever you buy one you have them set up the Axxera Map system BEFORE you leave the place! There is a sticker that doesn't always peal off correctly for the only code that works with the Axxera Map system. You need to download an Axxera Nav App on your smart device and connect it with a cable to the space in the dash that has 2 USB ports and the top one is the NAV one. You will lose your device to the map system by the way. So get a very long USB cord. The code under the sticker is THE only one that works with the NAV system in your coach and you have to put it in when you set up your smart phone app or you can't go back and put it in! You will need a new user name and password to do that if you don't do it first. The cost for the NAV after you set it up and get your 30 days free (Camping world knew nothing about this and Thor told me I needed a NAV card ... both were wrong) There is a QR code or a little box that my iPhone 8+ Camera was only able to read after I wet the sticker to make it dark enough. After about 3 days of several calls to Thor and Axxera Radio both of which were not totally clued into what to do as the first guy I talked to at Axxera said I was already activated because I had a user name and password. WRONG! Without entering the code that comes with the coach ... you are not activated! So I got my coach back from warranty work after 18 days and by then the Axxera 30 day trial was up so I paid the $79.99 so I could test this out. But since I didn't have the code in, the radio didn't work. So when I got to Carlos at Axxera he had the same problems with the sticker I did so he told me to wet it and the QR code got dark enough to be read by my iPhone 8+ camera. I did finally get the code and get it working ... but only about 15 minutes of NAVing down the road it wanted me to connect the already connected device! So I had to shut it all down and start over and it still said the same thing and would not work!! So after days of this frustration I was ready to do the first line maintenance with a hammer! Carlos at Axxera didn't know who was paid so he didn't know where to get my money back. And the problem was the $79.99 was under my old user name and password and there was no way to put the code into that old user name. So I created a new one put the code in and got 30 days of trial free! But since it didn't work anyway I discovered that iTunes is where the payment of $79.99 went. I went online to get a refund from iTunes and it said they were not authorized to refund it! ( I found out tonight if I had called iTunes it would have been refunded.) So I had to dispute the charge with American Express and got satisfaction.

One slide seal keeps coming off in 2 places but that is the work of Camping World.

All the screws around the 8 lights on the front of the coach (headlight stack etc have the silver bezel around them.) I had to open the engine cover to get to them. It turns out all the bolts on the screws are so loose that all but 2 came off the passenger's side! There is no lock washers or lock nuts so they just come loose and fall off ... or they were never there to start with! The driver's side were all less than hand tight but still on so I was able to tighten them up. Thor is supposed to be sending me the nuts and washers. But I am going to get my own and do it right. Also one of the fog lights doesn't work and one is just flopping around.

The firefly control head had a line in it but they replaced that when I was at a camp ground and the jacks would not come up. Thor had me check the engine compartment for a 100 amp fuse and another one just like it in the battery compartment but they were good. Turns out there are 4 screws you take out on the dash and you have to get some electrical grease. Then you unplug it and grease it up and plug it back in and presto it works! I recommend that on all your towing connections as well. (I just learned that) The jack problem only caused a 5 hour delay. But between the two mechanics and myself we got the Firefly back in and they told me it was already programed to my coach. It was up to a point. All the little pads around the coach that are very handy are all Blue toothed to the FireFly control head. Those guys left and NONE of the handy pads around coach worked. So I started pressing buttons in setup on the FireFly and found out how to connect them. It was very easy and I got them all working one at a time but the FireFly system guides you through it and it is very easy.

We LOVE the floor plan and the storage is unbelievably huge inside and out!

I got Snap Pads for the jacks

https://rvsnappad.com/

I highly recommend them as you don't have to get under the coach anymore.

The coach is in for sway bars front and back.
I am going to get a track bar as my wife said the tail wags a lot.
I am also considering Sumo Springs. Here is a good site for suspension upgrades.

We can't wait for all this to be installed and get on the road. We can't go full time as we are taking care of a 94 year old WWII Hero. My wife is an only child and this is her father. He was a Pilot in command of a B-17 at 19 years old and a retired Air Force LTC. He even flew in Viet Nam!

I am also considering the 5 star tuner for the engine if it doesn't void the warranty.

This is our first coach and there is a big learning curve. But we love this floor plan and I can't find another one that has this much room no matter diesel or gas. I hope this was helpful.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #24

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Old 09-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #25

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeoneil View Post
Recent trip from Ohio to Texas and back. Check MPG twice. 14 MGP and 16 MPG. running 65 70 MPG towing an Honda Fit. I was amazed. Last coach got 7-8.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I'm highly suspect of anyone getting much over 8 mpg with the V10, especially while towing. I average 8 on my Miramar with over 12,000 miles. Only one I've ever heard geting in the teens has been a diesel... And they need it with the price of their fuel.
Yeah, I think there is something wrong with Joe's calculator. We have a Miramar 37.1 which is very similar to the 37FH and is on the same chassis. I get a tad bit over 7 mpg whether I am towing our CRV or not. Our old "04 Georgetown 37 footer with the 4-speed trans only got 6.5 mpg.

Power wise, I have been very pleased with the rig. We just got done with a trip to Gatlinburg, TN from Michigan. The Smokey's aren't the Rookies but there were some pretty good uphill grades. Pulling our CRV, we never went below 60 mph. We passed many semis and even a few DP's. I do have a 5 Star tune.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #26

Model: Thor Challenger FH
State: Illinois
THOR #18057
What size is the hole on the back 2 x 2 for towing?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #27

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVinCrete View Post
What size is the hole on the back 2 x 2 for towing?

That should be the standard 5/8" retaining pin for the receiver hitch.
GVP
Old 03-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #28

THOR #15750
Quote:
The Challenger 37FH looks like a great floor plan -would love to hear from a owner. If you have purchased one, please share. Thanks!

Quote:

We bought ours last July. It is a 2020 and we love the floor plan. As with all new coaches there are issues. Things to look for if you are buying any coach. MAKE SURE THE SELLING DEALER GIVES YOU ALL THEIR WRITE UPS THEY FOUND BEFORE THEY PUT IT ON THE LOT. THE MANUFACTURER HAS THE DEALER FIX THEM SO BE SURE THEY ARE FIXED BEFORE YOU PAY AND TAKE IT OFF THE LOT. DON'T TAKE IT OFF THE LOT UNTIL ALL THOSE THINGS ARE FIXED OR YOU WILL GO ON A WAITING LIST TO GET THEM FIXED! If it is a paint issues that could be a long while!

On ours the silver plastic around the head lights were lose as the nuts were not tightened down. Make sure you check all the seals around the slides real good. We had a bad one. Usually the guy doing the walk around with you will try to divert your attention someplace else. This was our first coach so we were clueless. We had issues with the full wall slide as it would start to come out and stop. I had to close it and start over 5 or 6 times before it would go out. But the more we used it the better it got and now it works like a champ. It is heavy and I usually held the extend or retract a few seconds after it opens or closes to keep the two very small slide motors in sync. I had the same issues with the over the cab bunk with the same results. Also remember to put the pins back in when you raise it or the bunk will come down on one side or the other just going down the road and then the motors will be out of sync. If you forget to pin it just raise it back up and hold the button a few seconds to sync the motors before dropping it down. Another tip is the alignment. The front end is NOT aligned after a big house with all this weight is put on the frame. So have the front end aligned before you take delivery!! I learned this from my friend who chewed up two tires almost immediately and had an $1100 bill. Make sure you have the Master power button over the door on when going down the road or the back up camera doesn't work as well as the radio. The Axxera NAV system only works with a specific code for your radio only. It comes on a credit card size piece of aluminum and it is supposed to peal off and reveal the code ... but it will not peal off correctly and you can't see the code so MAKE SURE THE DEALER SETS UP YOUR NAVIGATION SYSTEM BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP! You will have 30 days to mess with it before you have to pay $79. But it works off your device ... ie phone or tablet, however you will lose your device to the navigation system as NAV only comes from your device. The screen looks great but IT IS NOT LIKE YOUR CAR'S GPS AT ALL. AXXERA IS NOT THE WAY TO GO! $79/year each year! I bought a Garmin RV785 that has free updates for ever and no annual fees and a camera that records your trip. Works much better with tons more information. By the time someone reads this Garmin may have a newer model. But you can't go wrong with Garmin. There is a ton of stuff to learn and you will find that Thor customer care is only has helpful as the person you are talking to. When connected do not hang up when they say you will not lose your place in line as you will lose your place in line and they will not call back. So stay on the line for as long as it takes to talk to a human. Thor is good about fixing issues and reimbursing you if they approve it first. But they are closed on the weekends. Who doesn't camp on the weekends? There is an emergency line that is open but just helpful information is not open. Most times I find that the person you are talking to knows very little about your coach and is just reading stuff from the computer that they have to look up. I had jack issues and they were clueless but had a mobile guy come out and he just gave up on what they were sending him as it was for a 2014 and mine is a 2020. Thank God he knew what he was doing and fixed them. ($640) But they are not factory set. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best with my limited knowledge. I have had many other issues so feel free to ask away.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #29

Model: Challenger 37 Lx
State: Maryland
THOR #18367
2015 Challenger 37 LX

Hello KarenandBrad,
I am new to this forum just purchased a 2015 Thor Challenger 37 LX.
Still learning about the Coach we have had it since March 5th. Drove it home from Tampa Florida to Bowie, MD. Running nice.
I do have a question though have you had any issue with a Turn Signal being stuck? I turned on my signal to turn left but it would not turn off.
I tried to turn on right signal but nothing happened I even pulled over turn everything off waited a bit turned the coach back on and still I had a left hand turn signal on. I had to run with my hazard lights on because I was getting honks and lights from other motorists trying to help me move left.
Then I got people that where following me to go around and slow down and put their hazard lights on and then signal to the right.

I am going to talk to service tomorrow hopefully when they open.
with the Coronavirus going on not sure what help I will get.

Any advise you can give would be appreciated.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:43 AM   #30
SAS

State: South Carolina
THOR #18567
37fh

Quote:
Bought a 2020 37FH in February from Leo’s RV in Maryland, great experience. Absolutely love the room in this RV. The amount of storage is incredible. Traded in a 41 ft Grand Design Solitude and I still have storage room to spare. Haven’t had much time to drive yet because of the covid-19 shut down in Maryland but looking forward to many trips ahead. Had the Safe T Plus and Sumo Springs added which helps the stability. Towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with the Active Drive II System.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #31

THOR #13399
Challenger 37fh

Just checking in to see how you and your new 37fh are doing.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #32
SAS

State: South Carolina
THOR #18567
Love it

Absolutely love our coach! Has been great over the summer. Planning to take it to Florida in Nov and Dec. added front sway bar, sumo springs, Safe T Plus and rear trac bar. Helps the handling greatly.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #33

THOR #15750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
Couple questions about the 37FH:
1) Although it’s completely subjective, does the Ford V10 have enough power sufficiently get this big heavy coach up and over hills without having to drop down to 35 mpg. (I already have 5 Star tuning on our ‘16 32’ Class C. But called them for an upgraded 93 octane tune they don’t advertise much)
2) What is your best and worst MPG. While some may say ‘don’t or why worry about mileage’. We put lots miles on our RV’s it is a concern but I’m just curious .
Believe it or not my 2 questions have nothing to do with each other. I enjoy getting decent mileage (relevant to RV’s) but also have the power when it’s needed.

I only get 7.5mpg with my 37FH and I live in Florida with no hills.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:43 PM   #34

THOR #15750
Wait until the 21 models come out. New steering wheel and new engine!
Old 10-07-2020, 11:43 PM   #35

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
I only get 7.5mpg with my 37FH and I live in Florida with no hills.

You’re lucky. My unit is shorter and I consider myself lucky if I see 7!
Old 10-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #36

THOR #15750
What was your speed on the interstate?
Old 10-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #37

THOR #15750
I did the same thing with ours. IS anyone having Jack issues?
Old 10-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #38

THOR #15750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-to-Doo View Post
Couple questions about the 37FH:
1) Although it’s completely subjective, does the Ford V10 have enough power sufficiently get this big heavy coach up and over hills without having to drop down to 35 mpg. (I already have 5 Star tuning on our ‘16 32’ Class C. But called them for an upgraded 93 octane tune they don’t advertise much)
2) What is your best and worst MPG. While some may say ‘don’t or why worry about mileage’. We put lots miles on our RV’s it is a concern but I’m just curious .
Believe it or not my 2 questions have nothing to do with each other. I enjoy getting decent mileage (relevant to RV’s) but also have the power when it’s needed.
The 21 models have the V8 engine and a newer style steering wheel. @7.5mpg I am pulling a Fiat 500. I get that with or without pulling the car and i have a 2020 with the V10 engine. Going over a very high bridge in Jacksonville, FL we dropped down to 45mph.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #39

THOR #15750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You’re lucky. My unit is shorter and I consider myself lucky if I see 7!

I have had as much as 8.2 mpg but that is doing 55 instead of 65 down the road.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #40

THOR #13399
Wow glad to hear everyone is doing good we'll be in Florida from November until November ,maybe we'll cross paths. What's your jack problems?