Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sieta Sprinter 24 ST
State: Virginia
THOR #4408
Siesta Sprinter 24ST suggestions for use / Owner created user's guide

I purchased the 24ST as it has twin beds and a bed over the cab that fits my living situation at this time in my life. However, as a newbie I've now learned that RVs are not automobiles and you are locked into the dealer you purchased from for life or at least while you attempt to do anything during the warranty period. I don't really care about that, my question is has anyone created any type of "User's Guide" for using this model?

I've read Ed Felker's Checklists and User's Guide for the Vegas Axis and some of what is listed is pertinent to the 24ST that I'll use.

My daughter used it last week and found the missing plug that caused all the antifreeze and fresh water for the tanks to drain out. However, the water pump didn't work. I'll try a few of his suggestions once it returns tomorrow. I leave the day after she returns for my music festival, then home again to refresh and leave for CA for the summer.

Worst cause is I use the music festivals facilities to shower and do dishes camping style like I have for years. Once I get to Mission Bay CA I'll have hookups for 4 weeks and then just have to contend with the drives to and from CA without water if necessary.

This all started when I let my other daughter pickup the RV from the dealer on a Sunday and she did the walk through with the salesman vs technician. The techs had winterized it so they didn't cover turning on the water to use any of it. She immediately used the heater to sleep overnight at a rest stop. I used the heater too. This Spring was colder than expected and we tried to get the water to work finally in late April only after flushing out the water, then filing the fresh water tank, I noticed the grey water tank was 3/4 full and then empty without using it. My friends noticed the water running out of the RV underneath. We tried again, and so did she and finally took it to an RV shop before entering the music festival. She used the toilet by pouring water into the toilet.

We discovered the refrigerator has to work off the generator for propane to run it while underway, she went through an entire tank on her 10 hour drive. Now I'm not certain it's worth using it instead of coolers for the drive west.

We also discovered the AC only works on shore power or the propane generator vs house battery.

A lot more than I thought uses propane under way than house battery. It used more underway than expected to dry camp along the way when I get tired or the dog has to have a break, or my 14 year old granddaughter just needs to run free! Or we find something great to see. As I need the propane to run the AC for the dog to be in the RV when we stop to sight-see I'm even more leery of stopping at all.

The entertainment system is totally confusing and I haven't spent any time figuring it out.

And then the original issue was the center brake light having only 3 of the 9 LED lights working when I took it to state inspection. Camping World's solution was disable it and removed it so if its not there then can't fail the vehicle inspection, and purchase an after market part and install it ourselves. Both of them failed to cover the open wires, it rained and now she can't get the part to work, it did work at the auto supply store.

Any tips, suggestions for making certain everything works is appreciated. My husband repaired all our cars through the years and would let him know when my cars had mechanical issues, I spent two years working with BMW to have a warranty repair fixed in the 70's so I'm familiar with vehicles, engines, and buses having driving one for four years. I alos own my own homes and service all the mechanicals as necessary, furnaces, water heaters, AC, dishwashers, toilets, roofs, etc. I bought a diesel vs gas as the bus was an extended cab truck base and only had ten benches to seat 20, it was in the shop all the time so no gas for me. My brother in law had done his research and decided on a Thor also, he retired as a truck driver last year. I thought I'd prepared myself but this has turned out to be one more stressor I didn't need in my situation. But after a weekend with two dogs in a hotel room last November, I returned home and purchased the RV.

Thanks,

Jacki

Old 06-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #2

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizzo406 View Post
I purchased the 24ST as it has twin beds and a bed over the cab that fits my living situation at this time in my life. However, as a newbie I've now learned that RVs are not automobiles and you are locked into the dealer you purchased from for life or at least while you attempt to do anything during the warranty period. I don't really care about that, my question is has anyone created any type of "User's Guide" for using this model?

I've read Ed Felker's Checklists and User's Guide for the Vegas Axis and some of what is listed is pertinent to the 24ST that I'll use.

My daughter used it last week and found the missing plug that caused all the antifreeze and fresh water for the tanks to drain out. However, the water pump didn't work. I'll try a few of his suggestions once it returns tomorrow. I leave the day after she returns for my music festival, then home again to refresh and leave for CA for the summer.

Worst cause is I use the music festivals facilities to shower and do dishes camping style like I have for years. Once I get to Mission Bay CA I'll have hookups for 4 weeks and then just have to contend with the drives to and from CA without water if necessary.

This all started when I let my other daughter pickup the RV from the dealer on a Sunday and she did the walk through with the salesman vs technician. The techs had winterized it so they didn't cover turning on the water to use any of it. She immediately used the heater to sleep overnight at a rest stop. I used the heater too. This Spring was colder than expected and we tried to get the water to work finally in late April only after flushing out the water, then filing the fresh water tank, I noticed the grey water tank was 3/4 full and then empty without using it. My friends noticed the water running out of the RV underneath. We tried again, and so did she and finally took it to an RV shop before entering the music festival. She used the toilet by pouring water into the toilet.

We discovered the refrigerator has to work off the generator for propane to run it while underway, she went through an entire tank on her 10 hour drive. Now I'm not certain it's worth using it instead of coolers for the drive west.

We also discovered the AC only works on shore power or the propane generator vs house battery.

A lot more than I thought uses propane under way than house battery. It used more underway than expected to dry camp along the way when I get tired or the dog has to have a break, or my 14 year old granddaughter just needs to run free! Or we find something great to see. As I need the propane to run the AC for the dog to be in the RV when we stop to sight-see I'm even more leery of stopping at all.

The entertainment system is totally confusing and I haven't spent any time figuring it out.

And then the original issue was the center brake light having only 3 of the 9 LED lights working when I took it to state inspection. Camping World's solution was disable it and removed it so if its not there then can't fail the vehicle inspection, and purchase an after market part and install it ourselves. Both of them failed to cover the open wires, it rained and now she can't get the part to work, it did work at the auto supply store.

Any tips, suggestions for making certain everything works is appreciated. My husband repaired all our cars through the years and would let him know when my cars had mechanical issues, I spent two years working with BMW to have a warranty repair fixed in the 70's so I'm familiar with vehicles, engines, and buses having driving one for four years. I alos own my own homes and service all the mechanicals as necessary, furnaces, water heaters, AC, dishwashers, toilets, roofs, etc. I bought a diesel vs gas as the bus was an extended cab truck base and only had ten benches to seat 20, it was in the shop all the time so no gas for me. My brother in law had done his research and decided on a Thor also, he retired as a truck driver last year. I thought I'd prepared myself but this has turned out to be one more stressor I didn't need in my situation. But after a weekend with two dogs in a hotel room last November, I returned home and purchased the RV.

Thanks,

Jacki
Jacki,
Your 24ST appears to have the same floorplan as my Synergy TT24 so I'll try to help with a few of your comments. I am by no means an expert but the following is based on my experience.

First, Welcome to the forum. Second, contact Thor Customer Care and ask if there's a Thor Service Center near you instead of having to use the dealership. They may even let you use an independent shop for the repairs/issues if that shop is willing to do it. Remember that most RV shops are really busy at this time of year and you might not get immediate assistance.

My Synergy TT24 water pump turns on when I use the switch at the monitor panel so are you aware of its location? You will hear the pump run when the switch is turned on. Also, there is a removable access panel under the passenger side bed that provides limited access to the fresh water tank, the tank drain valve, the water pump/strainer, the pump shutoff valve, and the suction fitting for winterizing the fresh water system. Remove that panel and check the position of the valve between the pump and tank. It has to be open for water to supply the pump and may have been closed during the winterizing process. Also check the wire mesh strainer for plastic shavings or small debris from the tank. It is easy to remove and clean but be sure to turn off the pump and close the valve between it and the tank before removing the strainer. Once that has been done reinstall the strainer, being careful not to tighten it too much, open the valve and turn on the pump, and check for any weeps or leaks. It may take a little while to pressurize the system, and make sure all valves (even the outside shower) are closed. The pump will shut off once it reaches the right pressure, then you can go to each sink, shower, and the toilet and purge the air from the system. The hot water heater is under the driver's side bed and those valves need to be repositioned after flushing the system in order to fill the water heater. Just be sure not to turn on the heater until it has been filled with water. If the pump won't run at all then some troubleshooting is needed. Once this system is working be sure to flush the RV antifreeze and sanitize the fresh water system.

My refrigerator will automatically transfer from shore power to propane automatically. It won't run off of the battery and yours probably won't either unless it's a 120VAC/propane/12 VDC refrigerator. The refrigerator definitely shouldn't require both energy sources at the same time . These refrigerators are not like the residential styles so you should read the manufacturer's literature on how it operates. If the refrigerator can only run on the generator then a thorough check of that system is necessary.

The air conditioning (A/C) will only run on 120 VAC so yes, either the generator has to be running or the RV has to be connected to shore power. The A/C does require a lot of power but the propane tank, while still a finite volume, still should provide a few days of use before refilling. Just be sure to try to start with as full a tank as possible if you know you will be dry camping.

The entertainment system is confusing. I have to agree with you there and I'm still learning about mine. If you aren't getting any radio reception from the Jensen unit it may be that the factory just wadded up the antenna wire and stuffed it behind the unit when it was installed. It would work OK for nearby stations but won't if you are travelling in remote areas. I had to re-posted my antenna wire and now the reception is OK. Now I need to figure out the rest!

Camping World removing a safety item should earn a quick call to Thor Customer Care. And for them to expect you to reinstall an aftermarket part should tell you to be wary of future dealings with them. They might be covered up with work but they still have an obligation to take care of warranty issues correctly. The brake light does need to be properly sealed or water can find its way inside the RV. That goes for any other places where the exterior has been breached. Just ask me how I know and it's a situation I never want to repeat. As I mentioned before try to find a good RV shop that's close to you, that will work with Thor, and that you can develop a relationship with. Also, since CW didn't de-winterize the unit it might be worth asking for them to do another orientation with you present, and maybe with the person that picked up the unit too.

Please keep in mind that these are houses on wheels and will require more maintenance and more patience than with a stick-and-brick house but the benefits and the memories have such great potential.

Again, this is merely my offerings and I hope you can get your motorhome to the point where it can be used with confidence. Either way it is certainly a learning experience!
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

THOR #4408
Thank you! I'll check both access panels! This was very useful and greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #4

Model: Sprinter Citation 24ST
State: New Mexico
THOR #2420
Siesta Sprinter 24ST suggestions for use

AI highly recommend you obtain the User Manual developed by Ed Felker for his Thor Vegas 24.1 as there is a lot of commonalty with the back end of your coach. I has Citation Sprinter 24ST and have used his manual for the winterization and sanitation procedures for the water system. His pictures should help. Contact him at bevedfelker@live.com.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Refrigerator- Works off 110 ac (shore pwr or Genny) OR with propane and 12 volts control voltage. It does not work from 12 volts alone.. Set the switch on the front panel to AUTO and if 110 volts is available the green light will be on. If not- the light next to GAS will be on. The fridge does not use much propane when on gas. (should last several days or more). You should not have to run the genny just to power the fridge.

Another suggestion- since neither your water pump (12 volt) and the fridge propane side (also requires 12volts) don't work it is possible the "salesman switch" is off. This is the Battery Disconnect switch located inside the cabin door, on the left side, bottom switch, move it to "USE".

3rd Brake light- Camping World solution is totally unacceptable. If you bought it there they need to fix it with the correct part. It should be available from Thor.

Contact Thor 1-877-855-2867, for their help, as HC8RXQ recommends.,.

Thor has a website : https://thormotorcoach.com/motorhome-owners-resources/ Select owners manuals and drill down to 2015 Siesta Sprinter. Free download. It is easy to copy to a CD and you can have it readily available.

Once you get it ironed out, the 24ST is very enjoyable.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

THOR #4408
thank you all for the suggestions. We opened the panels and located the valve under the passenger bed, cleaned out the strainer, and replaced it. Turned on the water pump and heard a noise be after 12 hours still no water to toilet or sink.
I keep thinking it's something electrical as the microwave didn't turn on, the GFCI won't test when you push the red button, so I stopped at an automotive supply store for help in trying to read the fuse supplemental. I laid down on the floor and then simply flipped each circuit breaker. And then forgot to try them! Long night and water or not, we leave later today after I repair the now broken garage door after the granddaughter's emergency appointment for her braces that forced us to return home.
but on a positive note, I finally figured out how to fill the propane tank and we ran the AC and it was cold inside! With the new very powerful small fans my dog is happy and not too hot! Same for my granddaughter! Two babies competing for attention. Next I might try the refrigerator and freezer! She eats a lot!
jrizzo406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

THOR #2420
Siesta Sprinter 24ST suggestions for use/Owner created user guide

I glad you have power to the coach. I suggest you look at the position of the valves for the water system. They are located under the beds. You will need a screw driver with a square head to remove the screws. I put Velcro on the panels so I no longer have to remove the screws. Make sure the valves are open which should allow you to get water to the tanks (fresh water and heater). If these are closed even when using direct city water, everything will go to the overflow and out of the coach. Ed Felker's manual on his Vegas will help in opening the valves. If you are using the tank, make sure the water pump is on. If using city, there should be sufficient water pressure. Hope everything is resolved and you have a good trip.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Model: Siesta
THOR #4902
VfMB Diesel Power?

I am looking at a 2015 Sesta with the MB 3.0 diesel engine. The dealer assures me there will be no problem towing a 4500# Jeep in te mountains. Anybody have any real world experience with a TOAD?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #9

THOR #2420
Siesta Sprinter 24ST suggestions for use

I have a Sprinter Citation 24ST and tow a Chevy Cruze with all four wheels on the ground. Other than seeing it in the rear camera, I don't even know it's there. It tows very easily. I estimate it costs about a 1/2 mile in MPG. It easily takes hills. The Cruze weighs less than 3,000 pounds. I have installed a braking system on the Toad and recommend it.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:40 AM   #10

THOR #4902
Thanks for the reply. I have towed the Jeep behind several RVs, always used a braking system, currently using an SMI Delta Force that I really like. Where in NM are you? I'm in Albq.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #11

THOR #2420
Siesta Sprinter 24ST suggestions for use/Owner created user guide

I live in Albuquerque also. 505-715-8409.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #11363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I have a Sprinter Citation 24ST and tow a Chevy Cruze with all four wheels on the ground. Other than seeing it in the rear camera, I don't even know it's there. It tows very easily. I estimate it costs about a 1/2 mile in MPG. It easily takes hills. The Cruze weighs less than 3,000 pounds. I have installed a braking system on the Toad and recommend it.
Hi Gary - we just bought a 2018 Sprinter 24ST and have toyed with the idea of towing a very small car (Versa, Yaris, etc) for some of our longer trips. Can you share any lessons learned and equipment suggestions from when you originally posted? My email is e8usaf@yahoo.com. Many thanks!
Chris
Old 04-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #13

THOR #4902
I'm not Gary, but we tow a Jeep Wrangler that has been modified for off-road use, it weight at 4600 pounds and also a Honda CRV, which is about 1000 pounds lighter behind our Siesta SR. The only time I have has any issues was climbing up to the Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver with the Jeep. I got down to about 35mph. This a long steep high climb. All the MHs and trucks were slow. I use a Blue OX tow bar and bracket on the CRV. The Jeep has a custom bumper with tow bar mounts built in. I strongly recommend you have an aux braking system in the tow vehicle, some states and Canada require one. Most of the time with a light car you may not need one, but in a panic stop situation you could be really sorry if you don't have one. You get "plug and play" wiring harnesses to plug into your car's brake light, running lights and turn signals or you can build your own. All you need to build your own is a diode kit and some trailer wiring.

One thing to make double sure of is that the car you select is flat towable. Trailer Life's and FMCA's websites have annual lists of what cars you can flat tow.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #14

THOR #2420
I use a Blue Ox towing package with a Roadmaster Invisibrake system and have no problems towing. The Chevy Cruise weights under 2,000 lbs and has a standard transmission which is important if you want to tow with 4 wheels down.

I no longer have the Citation because my wife decided it was too small and now have a Coachmen Leprechaun and have had to make no changes to tow the Cruise.

There is a lot of inputs on the Forest River Forum about car makers recommending not towing 4 down and using a dolly instead. This is particularly true for automatic transmissions or vehicles with electronic stability control. You need to get a copy of MotorHome magazines 2018 Guide to Dinghy Towing to see the towing requirements for whatever vehicle you chose. For example, the current guide says a Chevy Cruze with manual is towable but one with an automatic is not. You may want to contact the auto maker's customer service to determine towing limitations before purchase.

Hope what you get works for you.

Tags
24st, suggestions, users guide, water pump