Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #2640
Using he inverter

Can someone give me some info on using the inverter. I have read the book and still have some questions. Can the inverter be used while driving down the highway? If so, how long can you use it and does the engine then recharge the batteries that power the inverter? I know this may sound pretty lame. Have never had occasion to use it on the road.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Yes, the inverter can be used while travelling down the road and the engine alternator will charge the batteries.

Now, in the words of Paul Harvey, for the rest of the story.

In my coach not all circuits are run through the inverter. For instance neither the coach AC nor the passengers 120VAC power receptacle are run through the inverter. If we want to use the house AC or have power to charge the wife's tablet while travelling I have to run the generator. I find myself using the generator more than the inverter.

Hopefully this answers your question.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Dave said it pretty well. The inverter takes 12 vdc from your coach batteries and turns it into 120 vac. It will not power heavy loads, such as the air conditioners. It may power your microwave but not for long. In my coach there are several outlets powered by the inverter, I have not tried the one at the shotgun position. But there is a 12 vdc there we could use to charge DW's i-pad if necessary.
When you are parked without hook-ups it will provide you some limited power for watching TV or charging devices.
Your chassis battery is isolated from the inverter and has nothing to do with it. When RV engine is running all batteries are being charged. When using the genset or shore power only the coach batteries are being charged.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
During my summer vacation, I used the inverter to power the midship TV and DVD player for my kids during early morning travel. When the outside temps reached 85*, I then used genny power. I kept my Fridge on AUTO so it would switch between gas and electric. Worked great.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The original poster didn't state what kind of rig they were asking about so the fridge on "Auto" may or may not apply. In my case it is either the inverter or genny for the fridge since it is a residential unit without LPG capability.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The OP should state what size inverter it is, and how much house battery capacity is installed. This is key to what it can operate and for how long.

Engine alternator capacity also plays a role.