Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Hot times

Both male and female connections melted on 30 amp service going into coach presently have it straight wired on the trip

Old 07-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Sounds like plugs were wired wrong or power surge. Do you have a surge monitoring device? If not it's a great investment. I have a progressive industry make for my 50 amp service. Saved me 2-3 times. Good luck
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Happened to me in Canada several years ago before I bought a good surge protector. Often happens when the voltage drops and the A/C unit is trying to pull enough amps to run. The weak point is usually where the cord comes into the unit. It can heat up and melt it. Happened in my boat in the Bahamas one time too. Notoriously bad power in the Bahamas. A surge good protecter will cut you off before the cord or your A/C is damaged. A good investment.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

THOR #3992
Hot times

Yes I have a power surge protector supposed to be the best you can buy Wife was running the hair dryer with the air conditioning on Couple other appliances plugged in and also running like a fan and a coffee pot
Old 07-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Both male and female connections melted on 30 amp service going into coach presently have it straight wired on the trip
Also the park RV mechanic said the surge protector had nothing to do with this he said it was some of the cheapest crap he had seen talking about the plug they put in the coach
Old 07-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The plug and wires are only designed for 30 amps. Most surge protectors will not save you if you draw more than 30 amps at one time. The wires will overheat at some point. It's always the RV or boats fault at an RV park or dock. It's never the park wiring or power source.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Yes I have a power surge protector supposed to be the best you can buy Wife was running the hair dryer with the air conditioning on Couple other appliances plugged in and also running like a fan and a coffee pot
We were at a campground on our recent trip...all we had to do was run a/c and my blow dryer at the same time and the surge protector cut the service...
fortunately, all we had to do was unplug the surge protector, plug it back in and wait for it to reset....It happened twice...
We DID let the folks at the cg know what was happening. They offered to move us, however, it was a one night stop.
However, I did decide...when using the blow dryer, I shut off the a/c for the couple minutes it takes, just to be on the safe side.
Ron, also, suggested...instead of using blow dryer on high...run it on low...doesn't draw as much 'juice' .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #8

THOR #3992
Hot times

Thanks everyone This is why I love this forum