Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Oklahoma
THOR #13615
Hot water bypass and hot water tank on 2019 freedom Elite

Hi guys dumb noobie here, I wanted to dewinterize my 2019 Thor freedom Elite 26 HE, however I can’t locate the hot water tank or the hot water bypass, it’s not in the user manual, if you can help I sure would appreciate it.thanks

Old 04-10-2019, 12:45 AM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I don’t have your model but. I would go to the Thor website and put your vin number (i think it’s the last 7 numbers) in. When I did that it came up with a ton of manuals I never got from the dealer. I am sure someone on the form can also help.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Look outside your RV and locate the hot water tank exhaust vent, the tank will be inside the MH directed in front of it, you may have to remove a bottom cabinet front to get to it, the valve should be in this area also.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
As said look out side for a metal door maybe about 18 in square. That's the door for the hot water heater. You will need to then go inside your unit and locate the back of the HWH. You may have 3 valves that you will need to change the direction. However you will only have to do the valve thing once you have flushed the lines with at least fresh water, then maybe a bleach/water mix to sanitize the lines.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I don’t have your model but. I would go to the Thor website and put your vin number (i think it’s the last 7 numbers) in. When I did that it came up with a ton of manuals I never got from the dealer. I am sure someone on the form can also help.
Thor sent me diagrams after I contacted them. You might have a tankless hot water heater with no by-pass valve.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had a 26 HE. The water heater bypass valve is under the kitchen sink on your left. There is a small access panel held in place by 4 screws. Behind it is a valve that should be labeled. This model is one that bypasses with a single valve (many use 3 valves). It may have been left in the bypass position when the unit was winterized or it may have been returned to the normal position. Don’t forget to put the drain plug back in the tank from outside (though it also may have been put back after draining for winter storage). In any event be certain you don’t turn the heater on until you are absolutely certain the tank is full of water. The best way to do this is by having the water turned on in the coach (either with the pump or city water) and lift the pressure release lever on the brass outlet near the top of the heater outside the coach until water flows out. It sounds harder than it is. You should be good to go then. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if he found everything, and got his rig ready for the Season?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: Wisconsin
THOR #13249
What a wonderful suggestion, there is a ton of information here. Thank you very much.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:14 AM   #9

Model: Freedon Elite 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #20751
26HE Bypass Valeve

I checked out the Thor website but could not find a way to get into any manuals. I have a new, to me, 2018 26HE and cannot figure out how to winterize the RV. We are moving to AL shortly but getting minus 32 degree temps in the next few days. System is drained, as far as I can tell, but want to make sure nothing gets damaged. Temp on Friday night will go down to 25 and come back up to 43 on Satruday, then go back down on Saturday night to 32.
How does the bypass valve work and how do you use it to put anti-freeze into the system without filling the water heater? Can I run the furnace and keep the pipes warm or do they go under the RV and be exposed to cold air?
I have no manuals or experience on how to protect the water system so any assistance would be greatly apprieciated
Tim
p.s. We are just north of Boston, MA and looking forward to not seeing snow and cold weather.. :-)
Thanks!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnul@timmade.com View Post
I checked out the Thor website but could not find a way to get into any manuals. I have a new, to me, 2018 26HE and cannot figure out how to winterize the RV. We are moving to AL shortly but getting minus 32 degree temps in the next few days. System is drained, as far as I can tell, but want to make sure nothing gets damaged. Temp on Friday night will go down to 25 and come back up to 43 on Satruday, then go back down on Saturday night to 32.
How does the bypass valve work and how do you use it to put anti-freeze into the system without filling the water heater? Can I run the furnace and keep the pipes warm or do they go under the RV and be exposed to cold air?
I have no manuals or experience on how to protect the water system so any assistance would be greatly apprieciated
Tim
p.s. We are just north of Boston, MA and looking forward to not seeing snow and cold weather.. :-)
Thanks!
YouTube is your friend. Much easier than us trying to explain it here.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
There might be 3, 2, or 1 valve. All 3 systems are used by different manufacturers. I have 2 trailers with single valve systems. I believe yours is a 1 valve system from what I have heard if my memory serves me correctly. You will need to change the valves each time you winterize. You do this before you install Antifreeze if that is how you intend to winterize. You must put them back in service upon startup. DO NOT put antifreeze in the WH tank. That is why it is called BYPASS. Never turn on the neater without water in the tank.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had a 2017 version of the same model and it had a single valve bypass system. It was located behind a small wooden panel screwed into the cabinet wall under the kitchen sink. BTW the way it works is to block off the cold and hot lines into the water heater and connecting them together outside of the heater. When bypassed opening a hot water faucet will cause cold water to flow. That’s how antifreeze gets into those lines. After you’ve done it once or twice you’ll find winterizing to be a simple 20 minute process especially since yours is a pretty basic model. The antifreeze inlet was under the front dinette seat. It is a clear plastic hose that is capped but otherwise unconnected at one end. There is a valve at it’s base. When you open the valve and stick the hose in a jug of antifreeze your pump will draw from the jug instead of the fresh water tank. You should not need more than two gallons. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:03 AM   #13

Model: Freedon Elite 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #20751
Freedom Elite 26HE winterizing

Thank you to all who responded!
I called Thor today and found that they have all the info on my RV available to download. I had checked out the site but missed the "owners" login/register link. Once I did that I was able to access to all the stuff my RV has! Full schematics, manuals, troubleshooting, the works.

I spent most of this evening to download and print everything I found and will also put it on a USB stick and put it on our iPads.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/

Scroll down to Owners Resource Login and create an account. Put in your name, email address and VIN and you get all your installed equipment and off you go!! I wish Thor had put this link in their "Overall" manual, it would have made my life a lot easier.

Thanks again!
Tim
Moving to Fairhope, AL soon in the 26HE!