Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2021, 12:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #21937
How to get power

I just bought a used 1995 Thor Columbus 325. Right now I am urban boondocking. I figure it's good practice to do it in the heart of the city, where I have plenty of resources to fall back on until I iron out all the wrinkles.

One of those wrinkles is that I can't seem to figure out how to get power to the outlets. I know that there are four basic ways of generating power in any class A:
  1. Engine alternator
  2. Generator
  3. Shore power
  4. Battery power

I already have solar panels and a wind turbine. I have plans to install those in the next week or two. In fact, I plan on trying something rather clever. Instead of tying into the existing electrical, I plan on putting all the batteries, controller, and inverter in the rear compartment. Then I will simply plug the cable for shore power into the inverter. (Although I have two A/C units, I am not a fan of A/C so I don't intend to use them.)

My question is, until I get this setup installed, I can't figure out how to get power to the outlets any other way than by running the generator.

Wonder if anyone has experience with RVs of this vintage and knows if there's a switch or setting I am missing.

JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:31 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard.
Not at all familiar with the coach you have but I suspect you will not have 120 volt A/C power without running the genny as you have stated. So do you get power when coach is plugged in? If not does the coach have an Auto Transfer Switch? If so it may be bad.
My brother has an older Georgie Boy that does not have an ATS. When running the genny he must plug his power cord into the Onan. When on shore power the plug goes into the pedestal.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Follow the SP cable and see if you have an ATS, then you know what is going on

Use your VOM and if a few minutes you have it figured out
Old 04-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Two of the power sources you mention are DC and will not supply AC directly to the outlets. You need an inverter to do that.

It wasn't clear from your OP whether you can get AC power to the outlets with shore power hooked up in addition to generator power that you do mention. That is why several in the PPs are talking about the automatic transfer switch (ATS). Please clear that up.

David

David
Old 04-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Since they've got you pointed in the right direction: I'll just say, "Welcome to the forum".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

THOR #21937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Two of the power sources you mention are DC and will not supply AC directly to the outlets. You need an inverter to do that.

It wasn't clear from your OP whether you can get AC power to the outlets with shore power hooked up in addition to generator power that you do mention. That is why several in the PPs are talking about the automatic transfer switch (ATS). Please clear that up.
I did mention using an inverter. Looking for the ATS today. I know for sure there is a manual switch so I suspect that takes the place of the ATS. (Meaning: I suspect there is not an ATS installed.)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Welcome we enjoy new members
Please keep us updated on all the fun
And places you boondock
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:11 AM   #8

THOR #21937
30-day Update

I have had (900W) solar and (400W) wind installed for a month now. I have 4x 100Ah AGM batteries and a 2000W inverter. I simply plug the cable for shore power into the inverter and have power to the coach. (After also hitting the switch.)

I have been careful of my usage because we had a long series of cloudy, calm days. Basically when on battery I only run:
  • Refrigerator (300W)
  • Wifi router (4W)
  • Computer charger (85W)

I may turn on the rare light for a few minutes. I actually shut off circuit breakers to other components to avoid phantom loads.

At some point, I may add another 2x 100Ah batteries.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:22 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 25V
State: Wisconsin
THOR #32180
Can you share (preferably with pix) how you have your wind turbine set up? I'm curious how high you had to go to best capture the wind and if you have it stand-alone or make use of the RV's height and stability to anchor the unit.

TIA
Old 04-18-2024, 12:02 PM   #10

THOR #21937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-G View Post
Can you share (preferably with pix) how you have your wind turbine set up? I'm curious how high you had to go to best capture the wind and if you have it stand-alone or make use of the RV's height and stability to anchor the unit.

TIA
This thread is almost three years old. I sold the wind turbine about two weeks ago. I found that I wasn't in places where I could set it up often enough to be worth the hassle of carrying it around everywhere.

That said, I did post a video in 2022 showing how I set up the wind turbine. That can be found here:
Off-grid Power in Quartzsite – Amazing World Adventures

I set mine up on an 8ft steel pole and set it out relatively far from my coach. I had outfitted the pole with a standard electrical outlet. I installed a plug on the charge controller, so I could connect the turbine using just an ordinary extension cord. (This is covered in the video.)

At this point, I'm up to 1700W of flat-mounted rooftop solar, plus an additional 200W deployable panel. I have 755Ah of 12V AGM batteries.

I have long since uninstalled both rooftop AC units and replaced them with roof vents with bi-directional fans. I also replaced the original 30A power control center (which was making an annoying buzzing sound) with a brand new 55A power control center. I found the ATS and reused it, as it seems to still be perfectly good.

Of course, as far as the coach knows, it's on shore power 100% of the time. I still have plans to uninstall the generator. Just need to find a time, place, and a couple of helpers to get the job done. (My 5500W Onan weighs over 250lbs dry.)

Back to wind turbines. I spent the last two winters in the LTVAs in southwestern Arizona and southeastern California. Wind turbines aren't too common, but I've seen a couple dozen setups and even helped a friend get his set up.

Even ones that extend above the height of the coach/trailer they are next to don't generally go more than a few feet above. The highest one I've ever seen was only maybe 15-16ft off the ground.

Multiple people have advised against mounting it directly to your coach as they inevitably have some vibration that will annoy the hell out of you. The few that I've seen that were sort of attached were actually free-standing but tethered by straps to keep it upright. (I've seen a couple that were actually mounted directly to the RV, but did not talk to their owners to get their opinion of the setup.)

In my observation, the 5-bladed HAWTs spin more readily than 3-bladed ones. VAWTs are good in theory but are almost always lower in power and efficiency.

Just because a turbine is spinning does not mean it's producing power. There is often a minimum speed before they start producing meaningful power. I met a couple of guys who specifically sought out marine turbines (that go on sailboats and the like) because they are far more efficient.

Hope some of that helps!
Old 04-18-2024, 02:42 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 25V
State: Wisconsin
THOR #32180
Thank you for the prompt and detailed reply, very useful info!