Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: If you have residential fridge; do you still have the option of running it on propane?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: If you have residential fridge; do you still have the option of running it on propane?
No, a residential fridge is strictly electric. Only an absorption-type of fridge can run on either electric or propane.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
I suppose that you could run the generator while driving; in order to keep it cold...
But I guess that there IS a downside to all of that storage capacity!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #24
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks!
I suppose that you could run the generator while driving; in order to keep it cold...
But I guess that there IS a downside to all of that storage capacity!
Rigs with residential fridge TYPICALLY (that word again... lol) have an inverter that powers the fridge from batteries (creating 110V for the fridge). While driving, the alternator charges the coach batteries as well - sustaining the power source...

Battery capacity or ability to plug in becomes an issue when stopped... Larger battery banks also common on these rigs to accommodate.

While the convenience of a larger fridge - and not having to have it necessarily level is attractive - so far to me is outweighed by the flexibility to run as long as I want (realistically - would take a longggggg time for a fridge alone to deplete my propane tank) without shore/genny/driving with the absorption style fridge...

If I were full timing - that might swing the other way...
(When we spent 5 months in rig - we did have an outside compact fridge we plugged in for extra capacity.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for the education!
I'm trying to learn as fast as I can...
Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #26

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2787
Axis refrigerator not working on propane w/o generator running.

Greg,

Checked the Use/Store switch and it was in the Use position. I measured for 12 volts on the control board and while the generator is not running and the Use switch in Use position there is no 12 volts. When the generator is running there is 12 volts going to the control board. Going to go back to the converter to see if 12 volts is missing when the Use/Store switch is in the Use position.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #27

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you run it on propane you also should turn off the fridge while refueling.
I thought you were supposed to run with propane off while driving due to safety hazards?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I always leave the propane on for the fridge while driving. It's flame is small and very contained although, in my case it is really close to the gas tank filler. Always turn off the water heater though because it has a big open flame and it also is right next to the gas tank filler. I think the risk is very small but that's what I do.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
I thought you were supposed to run with propane off while driving due to safety hazards?
Nope; another old wives' tale busted.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #30

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
No, a residential fridge is strictly electric. Only an absorption-type of fridge can run on either electric or propane.
Depending on the length of time you can leave electric off to a residential fridge. The more food you have in the fridge and freezer the longer you can go without electricity.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #31
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Greg,

Checked the Use/Store switch and it was in the Use position. I measured for 12 volts on the control board and while the generator is not running and the Use switch in Use position there is no 12 volts. When the generator is running there is 12 volts going to the control board. Going to go back to the converter to see if 12 volts is missing when the Use/Store switch is in the Use position.
The control board doesn't have separate connections for 12v from converter (when genny is running) and 12v from battery (when genny is off)... It wouldn't know the difference in sources for power...

Is everything else 12v working when the genny is off and not on shore power?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #32

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

.....cut....

While the convenience of a larger fridge - and not having to have it necessarily level is attractive - so far to me is outweighed by the flexibility to run as long as I want (realistically - would take a longggggg time for a fridge alone to deplete my propane tank) without shore/genny/driving with the absorption style fridge...

If I were full timing - that might swing the other way...
(When we spent 5 months in rig - we did have an outside compact fridge we plugged in for extra capacity.)

My sister had a very large residential fridge in a new 5th wheel trailer and told me the thing she disliked the most was how food in fridge would move around too much. Hers was side by side with bottom freezer, with top fridge shelves almost 3-feet wide. She said packing tightly so food wouldn't slide around wasn't worth it. They are not full timers so don't stay put for long periods.

If designed specifically for RV use, I'd like to try a small "compressor" refrigerator, particularly if it ran straight from battery power.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #33

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2787
Refrigerator not working on Propane

Greg,

I understand that there is only one connector for the 12 volts to the control board, I was just stating that when the genny was on there was 12 volts there and when the genny is off and the Switch on refrigerator is set to the Propane setting there is no 12 volts. I had Thor send me the schematics for the 110/12 volts layout and I'm going to say no to other 12 volt items not working when the Use/Store switch is in the Use position. I'm picking up my camper on Tuesday and I will do more investigation now that I and some drawings to work with.

Thank you for your input so far, I really appreciate it ...
Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #34
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Greg,

I understand that there is only one connector for the 12 volts to the control board, I was just stating that when the genny was on there was 12 volts there and when the genny is off and the Switch on refrigerator is set to the Propane setting there is no 12 volts. I had Thor send me the schematics for the 110/12 volts layout and I'm going to say no to other 12 volt items not working when the Use/Store switch is in the Use position. I'm picking up my camper on Tuesday and I will do more investigation now that I and some drawings to work with.

Thank you for your input so far, I really appreciate it ...
I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out what would cause what you are seeing...
Let us know what you find investigating..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
If driving a big vehicle is new to you, try this: loosen you grip on the steering wheel and move you eye focus much further down the road. Try not to micro-manage corrections. Look further ahead and the coach will track easily. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #36

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Has anyone had issues with refrigerator not working on propane only, the igniter does not work when the switch on the refrigerator is in Auto or Propane. When I turn on the generator the refrigerator will run on Propane. There appears to be a problem with the refrigerator not getting 12 volts when the generator is not running. This has been a problem since I purchased the unit, I am the 2nd owner and never noticed the issue till I went camping with a friend and he asked why I was running my generator when I pulled into the camp ground. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have had the same problem when disconnecting shore power to hit the road. We plug into shore power at home a couple of days before leaving to cool the fridge and load up in a/c comfort. When we disconnect from shore power the fridge transfers over to propane but smetimes, not always, after a couple of minutes we get the flashing light indicating the propane side is not working. Our workaround has been to attribute it to a scrambled brain and we just turn off the fridge for about a minute and then turn
it back to auto. This has happened a few times but our workaround has always been successful. Lovely wife has gotten to where she will check it about thirty minutes or so down the road and it has always been ok.
Also some have said they need a fan to keep the fridge cool. I also live in Florida and have never had to do that. While set up in the campground the more level the fridge, the more efficient it is at cooling. I now put a level in the freezer to check when setting up and pay more attention to that even if the floor is not quite perfect.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #37
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
... When we disconnect from shore power the fridge transfers over to propane but smetimes, not always, after a couple of minutes we get the flashing light indicating the propane side is not working. Our workaround has been to attribute it to a scrambled brain and we just turn off the fridge for about a minute and then turn
it back to auto. This has happened a few times but our workaround has always been successful...
I've had that happen when the propane has been off - and I didn't purge air from the lines... The fridge 'times out' trying to ignite.
I've gotten in the habit now of lighting at least one burner on the stove after turning on the propane. Gets gas much closer to the fridge and haven't seen that happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
...Also some have said they need a fan to keep the fridge cool. I also live in Florida and have never had to do that. While set up in the campground the more level the fridge, the more efficient it is at cooling. I now put a level in the freezer to check when setting up and pay more attention to that even if the floor is not quite perfect.
I have used a small battery operated fan in fridge... was more to balance the temp in the fridge - it had definite warmer/colder areas. The air just seemed to even things out a bit.
Mine is 2 D cells - but I like the 12v version dcbenny just posted in another thread... the 100 page Hurricane mods thread I think.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #38

THOR #3992
[QUOTE=Tfryman;88490]Nope; another old wives' tale busted.[/ if the gas line gets ruptured from the tank to the refrigerator won't that cause an explosion during an accident ? under my axis just a rubber Line running looks like it wouldn't take a lot in a wreck to cut it.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #39

THOR #3992
[QUOTE=nautiquecowboy;88868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Nope; another old wives' tale busted.[/ if the gas line gets ruptured from the tank to the refrigerator won't that cause an explosion during an accident ? under my axis just a rubber Line running looks like it wouldn't take a lot in a wreck to cut it.
Also if you get your refrigerator good and cold food should stay good till the next stop
Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Depending on the length of time you can leave electric off to a residential fridge. The more food you have in the fridge and freezer the longer you can go without electricity.
Pack it full of "Hydraulic Barley Sandwiches", and you'll be good to go!