Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #21

State: Arizona
THOR #8241
2008, armed with Mapquest directions we went east across the Tappan Zee and using my directions we went left on the Sawmill Parkway. After realizing we were about to be decapitated a kind Westchester County Policeman pulled us over. Unfortunately I put myself in a spot where I could not turn around and we had to unhook the toad. The officer had to stop traffic and get us back on the parkway and then lead us to a safe route to get on a normal highway. Since then I plan my routes with Google Maps, Google Earth, iEXIT for Truckers App and a lot of patience.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I know Google maps is supposed to now have an offline mode, but haven't traveled any where I've needed to use it in the last few years (since they introduced that feature).

Do you find the offline mode works well? There are plenty of places around here where you hit dead spots with no cell coverage. In the past, I used to keep copilot loaded on my phone to use when Google Maps stopped working because there was no cell coverage.
Thanks for heads up on this.

I use Google maps also, and leave regular Garmin at home (it's not RV specific). It's just more "stuff" that I don't need, or can do without.

I wish I would have known about offline mode in May when we traveled to YNP. Some of the roads getting there and back didn't have service, and we had almost no service in park. Not that it's a big deal since we also have maps.

I'll have to try offline as a test as soon as I get a chance.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I know Google maps is supposed to now have an offline mode, but haven't traveled any where I've needed to use it in the last few years (since they introduced that feature).

Do you find the offline mode works well? There are plenty of places around here where you hit dead spots with no cell coverage. In the past, I used to keep copilot loaded on my phone to use when Google Maps stopped working because there was no cell coverage.
I use the offline mode when I go into Canada and don't want to purchase a plan or pay the roaming fees. Just download the area in Canada I'm going to and turn off data.

(I'm in Canada at least once a year.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #24

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Perhaps a different perspective... but for my traveling I've been fine with Google Maps on my phone - rather than a dedicated GPS...
Certainly doesn't let me specify RV heights, etc - but hasn't caused any issues... No maps to maintain - no extra device to carry/power...

Hey Greg-
We got along fine with G Maps until last summer, when it routed me to an underpass that was 10'3" clearance. We measure 11'3" and I saw the sign just in time to avoid having to unhook the car to turn around. That evening, I ordered the Garmin RV GPS. I really like the altitude, miles remaining, speed limit and the actual speed. It is especially handy when you are in Canada, where it translates the KPH to MPH.

It sometimes doesn't route the way we want, and prefers interstates. Sometimes it will take us a few miles out of the way to do 3 rights rather than a single left across traffic.

No one has mentioned that some Flying Js and Pilots have RV gas lanes, they are golden! Plus we get a Good Sam discount of 5c. The WM gas stations are often too tight for our Vegas with toad. Sometimes those stations that are a few cents higher are deserted, so for a couple of bucks (or less) we can have the pumps to ourselves!

We don't plan gas or restaurant stops that much, but I am always careful to avoid pulling into someplace that we can't pull out of. At the end of the day, restaurants are easy when we unhook from the coach!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #25

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Hey Mr Sunshine, what Garmin model did you purchase.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I was looking forward to buying a RV specific GPS but it seems that all the reviews only get to 4 out of 5 stars. There are many that say the GPS's aren't worth the money. Can you shine some light on this subject.
When we bought the Axis, having used Garmin for many years, we bought the Garmin RVT ... (google is great and I still depend on it for satellite view of an area..but we are often in areas with no data/phone ) ... Garmin has never failed us. (well...if you are in the middle of the Eisenhower Tunnel it does freeze for a couple minutes )
If you get one...be sure to go into the settings and, not only set it up with your RV size, length and height...but also, customize all the setttings to your particular liking. The Garmins new programming is constantly advising us of situations. We buy refurbished, with lifetime maps...saves a bit of $$ and any bugs have been resolved. (some folks complain that it does not give them the info they want to view on the screen....you MUST program it to tell you what you want)

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:33 AM   #27

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Avoiding tight places

After you get used to the wheel cut (how sharp you can turn the front wheels) and keeping an eye with your mirrors on your tail, you will become comfortable with navigating. As you mentioned, not being able to back up is the biggest concern and gas stations can be the worst, especially the newer dive in pumps. I have found driving into the station and around to an outside pump, facing away from the store works the best. If the site is too tight I just drive on out and go to another station. I always fill at about half a tank so I have never had problems since using this process.

I also suggest Garmin 770 RV GPS. It has voice command so you can use while driving totally hands free. This will help you avoid low bridges, narrow roads and LP restricted tunnels. I love it.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:39 AM   #28

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Hi All,

As I contemplate my future life going to various places in my rig (and I'm just having it set up to tow my car now), I wonder/worry about getting myself into situations that are difficult to get out of. For now, I'm meeting up with RV'ing Women (the Oregon Chapter) in standard issue RV parks but have aspirations to be dry camping in more remote areas in the future.

So, first, how to be sure you stay on the major roads to get to your destination and not make a wrong turn, ending up in a situation that is difficult to get out of/ dead end, etc? With my toad, I will not be able to back up for example and I would generally want to avoid having to back up in any case, especially as I'm a solo traveller.

How do you know if you are driving onto a surface that will not support your rig and you are subject to getting stuck? (e.g. in more remote areas, sand, mud, etc.) or going down a forest service road and running out of road, conditions getting dicey, etc.

What has been your experience and what rules, thoughts, etc. guide your thinking and actions in order to avoid problems?

thanks so much,
After you get used to the wheel cut (how sharp you can turn the front wheels) and keeping an eye with your mirrors on your tail, you will become comfortable with navigating. As you mentioned, not being able to back up is the biggest concern and gas stations can be the worst, especially the newer dive in pumps. I have found driving into the station and around to an outside pump, facing away from the store works the best. If the site is too tight I just drive on out and go to another station. I always fill at about half a tank so I have never had problems since using this process.

I also suggest Garmin 770 RV GPS. It has voice command so you can use while driving totally hands free. This will help you avoid low bridges, narrow roads and LP restricted tunnels. I love it.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #29

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
My Garmin is a 760RV-LMT (life time maps). It was the current model last year.

Ours is attached to a beanbag mount on the dash, and we can take it out to use in our car when unhooked from the RV, or when at home. This is handy for us.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #30
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Hey Greg-
We got along fine with G Maps until last summer, when it routed me to an underpass that was 10'3" clearance. We measure 11'3" and I saw the sign just in time to avoid having to unhook the car to turn around. That evening, I ordered the Garmin RV GPS. I really like the altitude, miles remaining, speed limit and the actual speed. It is especially handy when you are in Canada, where it translates the KPH to MPH.

It sometimes doesn't route the way we want, and prefers interstates. Sometimes it will take us a few miles out of the way to do 3 rights rather than a single left across traffic.

By no means am I knocking the GPS units - just giving an alternative that 'works for me'...

I had Onstar in my last GMC product (no relation/connection to my gmc username) - got to the point I never used the nav there - always used the phone...
On my Jeep Wrangler softtop - just never wanted a device I had to store in the car... Only a few lockable places when the top is down.
On my new Ford - I bypassed the nav, instead selecting Sync3 and using Android Auto that puts Google Maps control and display on the car's screen display.
And find for walking around cities (Chicago last month and NYC this week), my phone with blue tooth in my ear gives great directions so I look less like a tourist/out-of-towner that doesn't know where I'm going...
Just be sure to put it in 'walking' mode - or it doesn't know what to do when you are walking the wrong way on the sidewalk of a one-way street.. LOL (also a train and bicycle mode as well...)

Quote:

I've downloaded the maps when prompted - but honestly don't know if they were ever needed/used... (not sure it tells you when you switch to offline maps.) I like that they added the feature.
The nav itself is of course GPS based - but do need to have something to display on...

----

No nav is perfect - so certainly still need to be aware of your limitations (height, propane, etc)... Saying 'the nav made me do it' doesn't help the ticket or repair the damages...

Haven't found any device that knows my 'altitude' well enough to know whether I took the upper or lower level of the GW bridge in NY/NJ.. (if in a car.. the turns are different coming off the bridge based on level) - and they all lose GPS signal when the roadway there goes under the apartment building.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #31

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I wouldn't be without my Rand RV GPS, but like others have pointed out they are not 100% perfect. However, between it and me consulting my Truckers Atlas for the upcoming routes there will never be an issue with low clearance for us.

We are almost 58' long traveling this summer (Challenger pulling mcy trailer). If we can't find a Flying J or Pilot with RV lanes in our pre-planning then we have to use regular gas stations. I personally have never seen a truck stop that has gas along with diesel in the truck lanes. There are long stretches, especially out west, where there are no stations with RV dedicated lanes. We keep an eye on rural exits that may have just one or two gas stations. If at a half of a tank or less we will get off and look these over. Generally if a rural exit doesn't have restaurants and motels the gas stations there aren't busy. We have had very good luck getting in and out with our long gas rig at these types of stations.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #32
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We, generally, have pretty good luck in finding a friendly gas station...must be dumb luck ! However, on our return from CO this month...we found a rather busy, cramped, gas station...we were pulling the trailer...and due to an unfriendly car pulling in nose to nose to us..and not budging an inch...we wound up, pretty much, blocking the lane behind us with the trailer.
We gassed and waited for the car to get our of our way in order to exit.

In all our travels, this is the first time, we got into a position we could do nothing about.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
You're getting a lot of good advice here. After many, many years of towing travel trailers, a class C and now my Hurricane 35M with a Ford Explorer towed 4 wheels down, I have learned to plan my gas stops well in advance, and to take a lot of deep breaths in anxious situations. After awhile, you get a good feel for which gas stations are going to work and which ones won't, and you have to be prepared to drive past the ones that just don't look right. I have gone on many long trips by myself (with car in tow), and over time you build confidence in your ability to judge which stations are going to work for you. Only on several occasions have I come across some uncooperative individuals who seem irritated at how long it takes to fill up or sometimes having to wait to pull out until someone moves their car, but these are the exceptions rather than the rule. Don't let yourself get rattled - that's when mistakes get made!

I also use Next Exit to locate RV-friendly gas stations along major interstates, as well as Gas Buddy, and the Flying J/Pilot cell phone apps. I also use the Garmin RV 770 gps, and really like it (even though I'm sure that I'm not using a lot of the built-in features).
Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #34

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I keep hoping Google will hit these threads with their robot and eventually realize that there are a lot of RV's and trucks on the road and therefore a demand to put these oversized vehicle features into their google maps on the phones especially....
Oh how frustrating it is to be told to make a U-Turn

I have found that because of experience, I generally can read a parking lot (gas station or whatever) pretty quickly and stay oout of too much trouble

I'm reminded though of a time, when i was towing a large gooseneck lab trailer (pretty much the same as a mid sized 5th wheel RV). Got around 3 sides of a hotel parking lot, thinking that like most with similar layouts that it would be possible drive all the way around, only to discover that there wasn't a 4th drivable side....and zero turn around room. I was by myself with nobody to wave traffic away.... no big deal, I got out ok. Thankfully I was pretty good at backing a trailer by that point in my life....
Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 AM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Thanks Jamie, It will be with four wheels down so, in that respect, easier to get myself unhooked should I need to.
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:11 AM   #36

THOR #4548
thanks for sharing your experience. this is what I'm trying to avoid, glad it all worked out
Old 08-04-2017, 03:27 AM   #37

THOR #4548
Thanks for the Thoughtful Responses

Hi All,

Just now discovering that I got some great responses. Don't know why my email account didn't notify me this time around.

One thing about navigation devices to add: I'm not ready to purchase anything yet but likely will in the future and as I spend more time, over time, in less familiar places and venture out will want to have something where I can program in the size and height of my rig and toad, etc. Short of having to buy a Garmin, seems as if there are many different apps that would work on my phone, some designed for trucks and some for RV's that would suffice for a fee that do the things that various Garmins seem to do.

In the end, as many of you suggest, I will get more and more comfortable driving my rig and toad and also start to get a feel for what's good to drive into or not. For sure once I know I'm on a reasonable road and route, it's really the gas station thing that is daunting now.

thanks again, much appreciated

karen