Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 04:28 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Howdy!

Probably not the best way to start but I will anyway!
Hi! I'm Summerwind and.....
I am an idiot! (who is losing a lot of $ lol)
I am a Class C owner but I got here as quick as I could
I purchased a class C to tote animals and some older folks with and to medical visits and the floorplan just will NOT work.
I am looking at the AXIS/VEGAS 24.1.
Anything y'all can tell me about how this handles in heavy traffic/Colorado mountains etc?
Reliability?
I bought the class C as a daily driver but found it will not work for anymore then about 1 peep at a time.
Thanks in advance.
Summerwind
PS quite frankly the main reason I went with the C+ was confidence driving and found that I quickly became proficient. The C+ is the same width (94") as the Thor but the Thor floor plan is much better inside at 18" longer. I will not be towing (famous last words as I started looking at B's then settled on the c+ now to the AXIS/Vegas)
Thanks again for any advice.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome, you've come to the right place.

If you want to know everything there is about a 24.1 (and somethings you don't even know to ask) download Ed's crowd sourced owner's manual here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

As for driveability: it drives the same as the Class C you're looking to get rid of since it has the same underpinnings: a Ford E-Series (E-350 in the 24.1's case) chassis.

Note that the first thing you should do with just about any motorhome is get an alignment--the factory doesn't do that; only the OEM does when the make the chassis.

You can always add to the suspension to get it to where you want (after you've had it aligned--did I mention that?).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #3

THOR #11569
Thanks!

Hiya!
Thanks JG (JamieGeek) for your time and reply.

All helpful info. (nerds unite)
Not that I'm that smart lol but I still am a little concerned about the/ SCRATCH THAT, MY ability to handle around town(s)
The Class c+ I have is on the 350 HD Transit chassis with a 156" wheelbase and 24',
The Axis (to my best understanding ) is 188" wheelbase and 25'6" overall outside length?
The transit is a dream handler in town but the sleeping/ floor plan will not work for over 1-2 people. The construction is outstanding and the AZDEL panelling is to the best of my understanding superior to LUAN for moisture resistance and durability.
I have owned the 2018 less than 1 month and saw the Axis on a used lot.
I took the people in my C and found-Uh oh not gonna work and stepped into the used Axis. Wow! I was hooked and my post purchase confirmation didn't go as planned ( I was hoping I could say, wow Class A too big and I can make the transit work)
If it was just me and another able bodied person, I think the C+ would be great as a daily driver. Since I have other people to consider and I am not made of money, I can't afford to keep a non functional paperweight around. Much to my haste, I added a lot of upgrades to the C+ as soon as I got it which will also be out the window, but that's life.

Thanks for your time in replying and please keep the thoughts coming. Unfortunately also I can't afford another mistake of OOPs I have the vehicle and now it won't work.
I am planning also for when other folks will be not in a position to use so I can't keep too large a vehicle that I am worried about.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #4

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
I’m not sure....do you still own the Class C? If so maybe there is a way to modify the interior.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
I’m not sure....do you still own the Class C? If so maybe there is a way to modify the interior.
hey thanks for the time in replying dogshowrv
I would say probably, but two things prevent this:
Money
And time
And finding people you trust to do work
Resale would prob be a prob to find an owner if need to resale in future
My time taken up with care, so I can't do the work myself as my people cannot be left alone for long periods of time (hence the reason for the vehicle to start with)
And they (my peeps) approaching their century expiration date...
So, time is of the essence
Tempus fugit!
PS yes is the answer to your initial question
Still owned less than one month
Old 05-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
With all sincerity, why did you purchase a motorhome to transport these type people? Seems like the vans with raised roofs, passenger seating and wheelchair accessibility would have worked better...and cost would have been cheaper. I can't see how these people can make it up the steps. I really don't mean this to sound sarcastic...I was just wondering ever since I read your first post. I thought I may have been missing something.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

THOR #11569
Thanks Gritz C
No offense taken! You are just trying to help. Legit question (BTW liking your generator thread)
To be pithy, where do I start?
No trouble getting in and once in vehicle, stay in mostly
Lift is in process for class c and can also be done on A
Want TV kitchen bathroom
One md visit out of town may take overnight or at least 10-12 hrs
So they are in even for around town for overnight etc

I may want live in /really just travel once my Care time over
The concept works just not the current vehicle as they have ridden in it already
A PS big pita to extend bed every stop
And limited choice of seating positions in my c
My peeps need to change position frequently due to pain and the c won't allow this
Cost def would /will have been a little less but you'd be surprised at how quickly the b vans cost adds up and exceeds these with less functionality for my purposes
I tend to be a little on the detail analytical side so tried to think of all possible pitfalls
I just failed to anticipate the truly smaller size with all peeps and compromised so now it fails to meet the purpose
Mainly my inability to feel comfy handling steered (no pun intended) my choice initially
This was my first rv purchase

A final clarification if you don't mind if it helps as y'all been so helpful
In short it needs to work around town without a toad
The loading of peeps takes less time than their accessories
The stuff needed for the peeps and having it in one place without having to spend hours loading what is needed is a central concept
This part, even with the c, has been most helpful
Old 05-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
You're going to take a big hit on that new Class C if you go with a different vehicle. Since it's yours now, you might just spend that money to modify the interior of the one you have. Not knowing exactly what your needs are, I can't say what those changes might be or what they might cost. However, I've seen RVs with modified interiors for all sorts of different purposes. I would suggest you spend some time looking at what you have, noting what works and what doesn't work and why. Then search for modifications that can be made to help with your specific situation. There are people out there who can do the work for you. At the very least take your time! If you jumped the gun on this RV, don't make the same mistake again. I mean that to be helpful not critical. Good luck!

Edited to add, if you make modifications to your current rig, think about how you might transform it back to original when you want or need to. Keep anything removed like furniture, cabinets, etc.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
A short Google search revealed this.

Custom Special Needs Vehicles

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.c..._and_Remodels/

I know that can be pricey but maybe keep your modifications simple and few, and it might be manageable. Just talking with people like that about your options might reveal some simple solutions for you.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

THOR #11569
Eye-E!
BradnKaren
Thx for all you guys helpful responses
Yes I know
Don't remind me !! but unfortunately I cannot see ANY way to make this one work
And yes, That's why I'm here and realise I can't make the same mistake but the longer I wait also the more I do lose
I could spend 6 mos researching outfitters and solutions
It would just not be feasible for me to throw good money after bad
While I am still convinced my unit has better components and quality, I am realistic bout the industry as a whole and it is not a handmade vehicle
Thanks and I realise this is not criticism but I'm stepping up myself and admitting my error which is not pleasant to me
Old 05-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

THOR #11569
Pps did as suggested and called around but due to space limitations not able to significantly modify what I have that the Thor gives me straight outta the box so to speak
Old 05-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #12

THOR #11130
I think what would scare me would be insurance and the damage if involved in an accident. I've seen RV's go into 4 big sheets...all directions. And what type of roll over protection do you have...seat belt that secure you in the forward position...lots of safety stuff would be a concern.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #13

THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I think what would scare me would be insurance and the damage if involved in an accident. I've seen RV's go into 4 big sheets...all directions. And what type of roll over protection do you have...seat belt that secure you in the forward position...lots of safety stuff would be a concern.
Not sure but I'm assuming you are talking liability by the modifications folks.
I see your point
Well they wouldn't get a suit from me lol but I get it if accident etc
Moot for my purposes now but good point
Old 05-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #14

THOR #11130
I was referring to you...if you got in an accident and it injured your peeps. Seating and seat belts are not the same in RV's as in a conventional vehicle. While I have 5 seat belts in the RV section...three of them face sideways and none of them have shoulder straps. I think they are there as a 'feel good" feature but I question their effectiveness if a bad accident happened. There's nothing to stop forward motion...especially if one of those peeps were in bed or sitting on the john. Their family might come after you with burning torches.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #15

THOR #11569
Hey thanks Gritz
No one talking about going wee while IN motion
No one more concerned about safety of my family than me

So it's all good
Gonna try to salvage this Decision
Thanks to all who took the time to respond and for the clarifications and info
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome, you've come to the right place.

If you want to know everything there is about a 24.1 (and somethings you don't even know to ask) download Ed's crowd sourced owner's manual here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

As for driveability: it drives the same as the Class C you're looking to get rid of since it has the same underpinnings: a Ford E-Series (E-350 in the 24.1's case) chassis.

Note that the first thing you should do with just about any motorhome is get an alignment--the factory doesn't do that; only the OEM does when the make the chassis.

You can always add to the suspension to get it to where you want (after you've had it aligned--did I mention that?).
My first class A was a Thor Axis 25.2. Being a 1st timer I thought it was not very stable, so my wife and I bought front and rear stabilizer bars from Roadmaster. Made a huge improvement!!! Just traded it for a Windsport 29m because it just wasn't big enough. It handles better that the Axis did.....live and learn right? Bob Trice
Old 05-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #17

THOR #11569
Howdy Bob

Thanks!
I'm good with it
At this point, I'm sold on the axis/vegas size and floorplan for my purposes
At 40 mph around town, don't think I can get into too much trouble
I am certain it is about as big as I want go
Would prefer it get better mpg but my C gets this and this is way more liveable inside
Thanks for the reminder
Mistakes. I'm only human
Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #18

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I have to say after reading this thread that a nice passenger van with high end seats, like what is available on the Transit vans would fit the bill with some good management of stops while travelling. I can't see any RV as a practical vehicle in this case.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 AM   #19

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
if your using a motorhome as transport for older people to doctors and some type of animal transport you picked the wrong type of vehicle, thor , forrest river and winn have divisions to make specialty vehicles for your need. and then there are airport buses. i suppose your trying to run illegal with out the correct permits.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #20

THOR #11569
Capn et al
I guess I didn't that's why I didn't list PROFESSIONAL WRITER on my bio lol

I am assuming I phrased this wee discussion incorrectly but these r family dogs and people that can get out and enjoy to parks etc PLUS go to hospitals for treatments analogous to Mayo Md And etc overnight
With allowing them to stay at grocers etc whilst I run in and buy groceries
Without running back to the house to let dogs out or pill (I have a 19 to old that is on meds and on his last legs also)

It is brilliant idea I just did not choose a large enough layout

Thanks for the feedback
BTW a wheelchair lift works Just fine
No vans
This works way better and more comfy
Thanks
Practical?
Anyone owning a motor coach? well those may be mutually exclusive terms
I was actually looking for feedback on coaches drivability and overall purchase feedback
Sorry
I think that's been covered so again thanks