Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Does the F53 have a crumple zone?

I dont know what made me think of this but does the F53 chassis have a crumple zone?

I know my E450 chassis has front end crumple only (easy to see).

For that matter, What about the big diesel Spartan and Atlas chassis? Or do they worry about stuff like that on the super big rigs?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
No Not required in vehicles 16,000 lbs gross weight or greater.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Yep, thats what I figured. Plus since we sit on top of the front axle for the most part ..... you dont want it to crush that easy and intrude inside the cockpit.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 AM   #4

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I dont know what made me think of this but does the F53 chassis have a crumple zone?

I know my E450 chassis has front end crumple only (easy to see).

For that matter, What about the big diesel Spartan and Atlas chassis? Or do they worry about stuff like that on the super big rigs?
Yeah, that's what I thought about when I signed for my 34, only one door to get out. Hopefully I don't hit hard on the front end cause getting out of the drivers seat (one way), plus even though I am 5' 10" I will have to move the seat back to get out. With no electricity, I'd be in trouble.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
THOR #12434
Try real hard not to hit anything
Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #6

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Try real hard not to hit anything
So far I been lucky. Good set of brakes, Steering a little slow, was even worse before the alignment. Could be worse though, gave up bikeriding cause of all the safety gear I wore.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
you'll make it to the impact zone before any crumple zones do, so they didn't waste the time to build them in. Amazing how they can build a vehicle today exempt from airbags also...especially one where you're second only to the headlights in a wreck.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Well for the most part the big A class RV's are tall enough so In a crash the engine and tranny will go under you + your taller and heaver than most vehicles on the road so thats a big advantage in a crash.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

THOR #11130
On the plus side, you won't miss any of the excitement...you'll be the first one there!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
On the plus side, you won't miss any of the excitement...you'll be the first one there!
That IS funny: but in a very perverse sort of way...

(Reported too many fatal accidents over the years... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #11

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yeah, that's true. Long time ago I owned a Ford 'Econoline' pickup. It looked like a van in the front but was a pickup in the back. Got T-boned by some idiot running a red light one night followed by a long hospital stay. Maybe an airbag in the windshield would have helped cause I got thrown through the windshield and hit the pole myself. I always wear a seat belt now and wish my RV had a steering column airbag.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut......
Yes, in effect it does, it’s the trunk of the vehicle in front that crumples.

I’m serious, how often would a crumple zone in a 15,000-plus pound vehicle actually crumple enough to make a significant difference?

If you run off the road and hit a tree or concrete wall, then sure, it would help. Or if you hit another large truck head on. However, I expect those are rare compared to running into the back of cars, SUVs, or pickups. And due to their lower mass, their crumple zones would end up absorbing the vast majority of the energy anyway, so an F53 crumple zone would be wasted in most accidents in my opinion. That’s likely why they are not required.

By the way, the Econoline crumple zone isn’t all that effective, which is a major reason Ford has to treat it as a vehicle over 10,000 pounds and replaced it with the Transit van which is far safer. I drive my E-Series as if any minor accident could injure us badly or worse, even though it has a little crumple zone and front airbags.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Crumple zones are generally made up "pre-wrinkles" in body panels/fenders and uni-body construction systems...not frames...originally introduced by Volvo and Mercedes Benz. Brake away engines and transmissions were incorporated into that design as well, including the spare tire mounted horizontally in the trunk floor for rear impacts. Since you...the driver...are at the forefront of any accident in a Class A, it wouldn't matter if they had them or not. A factory tour will show you what they build upfront to protect you...not much. You're toast without any airbag protection. The attached video shows a number of A's involved in wrecks (C's as well). None of us really stand as good a chance as these thing are build like houses of cards. I agree with Chance...even though I have a full frontal F550, I drive as if my next fender bender could be fatal. They are huge and top heavy which will further aggravate any normal accident.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now my head hurts...
Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #15

THOR #12231
No, they "pre-wrinkle" the Frames as well. My Axis (E450) is pre wrinkled as well as my old Jeep from the 90's.

I dont have any pictures of it but I can send this weekend if I remember.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #16

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Now my head hurts...
Yeah, all this talk about crumple zones. It is very educational and I understand why it isn't worth the extra money now. Guess when I drive the RV, I'll just wear my Greenbay 'cheese hat' for head protection and yes I have one.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #17

THOR #11130
Quote:
No, they "pre-wrinkle" the Frames as well. My Axis (E450) is pre wrinkled as well as my old Jeep from the 90's.

I dont have any pictures of it but I can send this weekend if I remember.

You get the same visual effect when they use the "benders" also...may not be an engineered thing but a result of frame forming that looks like crumple zones. I don't think Jeep thought that far ahead. They knew you were dead if you had a wreck in one anyway. I have an '89 so I speak for myself as well. Getting out on the road at highway speed is a "butt tightening" experience.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Yeah, all this talk about crumple zones. It is very educational and I understand why it isn't worth the extra money now. Guess when I drive the RV, I'll just wear my Greenbay 'cheese hat' for head protection and yes I have one.
We need a picture of it...
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #19

THOR #2121
This is front frame of older E-Series. It may have changed a little but principle remains. There is about a foot of length of corrugated section meant to collapse under less force.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16744704-5900-4BF8-A73A-87EC88B382C4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	15260  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Yeah, thats how my frame looks in the front... minus the rust. LOL.

Looks like a crumple zone to me.