Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
hurricane 27b questions...

I have a hurricane 27b that's being delivered tomorrow...it doesnot have the 50 amp service option..I was wondering if anyone knows if the vent is pre wired for the second AC,,.. I found one at a dealer that had the option,, but they wanted 25k more and wouldn't budge … I thinking that if it is only a 2000 dollar option, that it's already pre wired to the roof vent....next... has anyone installed solar to the hurricane with the controller and plug ins on the roof that it comes with???thanks for replying

Old 12-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
if your coach has 30 amp id say it is not wired for a second ac but most likely will have 12vt wires there for a fan. Thats how my 29m was done.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #3

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
if your coach has 30 amp id say it is not wired for a second ac but most likely will have 12vt wires there for a fan. Thats how my 29m was done.

Jerry
thanks, I'm hoping that with it being an option, there might be wires in the wall
Old 12-23-2018, 11:56 PM   #4

THOR #12329
so the wait is on, should be here within the hour...
Old 12-24-2018, 01:58 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
If you take of the hatch surround, you will probably find three wires there. They are 16 ga made for a vent fan and are tied-up behind the 12 volt fuse panel in the power center. It is fairly easy to convert everything to a 50 amp power center as most of the wiring is under the bed. The parts and pieces are about $1,800, retail but a good shopper can save about $400 on the retail. Labor is the big expense. It took me about 14 hours to do it myself, so figure about $4500 if you have it done. Several people have just run a separate 15 amp wiring to the rear A/C (with a CB) and plug it into the 20 amp plug in pedestal when the second A/C in needed. Yes the 4000 watt Onan will power both A/Cs, if the second A/C is a Coleman Powersaver.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you take of the hatch surround, you will probably find three wires there. They are 16 ga made for a vent fan and are tied-up behind the 12 volt fuse panel in the power center. It is fairly easy to convert everything to a 50 amp power center as most of the wiring is under the bed. The parts and pieces are about $1,800, retail but a good shopper can save about $400 on the retail. Labor is the big expense. It took me about 14 hours to do it myself, so figure about $4500 if you have it done. Several people have just run a separate 15 amp wiring to the rear A/C (with a CB) and plug it into the 20 amp plug in pedestal when the second A/C in needed. Yes the 4000 watt Onan will power both A/Cs, if the second A/C is a Coleman Powersaver.
thanks for the info,the coach has an inverter, gonna guess that's where it is also...
Old 12-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

THOR #12329
Well, the coach showed up just after dark... was hoping for day light..but it was dark out,..I did except delivery,... but it has issues... first off... they never put the safety pins in the over head bed,,, one side dropped about 8 or so inches on the trip from so cal.. I was able to get it straighten back out and back up....not a fan the over head bed... but will make sure I never travel with out the pins in.. next, the driver said that the check engine light came on right when she pulled up to my house gonna have to see what that's all about..the coach I was getting had a problem with the bedroom slide right at the last minute...so they changed me over to a different coach... the one we were getting was the monteray maple.... and this one is the dark cabinet brazilan cherry....so we said send it, they didn't have time to get it detailed which I said ok to send...there's some thing going on with the levelers...it says take in for service...so no idea on that one...I got on the roof, there is about a 4'' cut in the rubber roof...and along the edges the rubber doesn't looked to be glued down.... got no idea the fix there … or who's gonna get the blame... but it looks like the roof was damaged when the ac was installed.. so we'll have to see how that's repaired...I guess you could dicor the rip... but who knows how long the rip has let water get in, and what the wood look like under... but my guess is the wood would be bad...if the whole roof has to be replaced to be back to new … pretty big job...we'll see how that goes..all in all, we really like the coach... not a big fan of the fold out bed... and I think they could have layed out the floorplan to be better. but what I wanted was the shortest coach on the longest wheel base... this one is 29'3'' and 190 wheel base... the shortest I could find... that and my wifes demand want list was a sofa ned dinette,.. which we got... so happy wife , happy life...I got about half hour to 5am in vegas….gonna have some more coffee and attact this beast...
Old 12-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

THOR #12329
well, spent all day working on the new coach....lot of little fix's... things mostly just needed tweeked and adjusted...did my first mod... with slide in... there wasn't much room to get from the drivers area to the back... really cramped between the dinette and sofa...so I took the sofa table out that was behind the sofa,... I was able to pick up about 5'' in the walk way...thor built the out side tv box out of 3/4 ply wood, where as others I have done it was metal...and the tv could actually be a bout 1'' closer to the outside...so I could pick up about 2'' more by fabbing a new box out of metal... so down the road I'll fab an aluminum box to go in place of the wood... gotta wait on that till the shop is open...the tv is on a swivel mount...could probley pick up even more... but as it is now...plenty of room...
Old 12-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

THOR #12329
my next fix is gonna be the window screens....they all rattle by design... so might be able to put black gorilla tape on the inside edge where they touch metal to metal and tighten then up, just my idea, so if you have a better idea...post up!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Any updates on your 27b “remodel”?

Would love to see & hear abt your changes
Old 01-06-2019, 12:35 AM   #11

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
I have a hurricane 27b that's being delivered tomorrow...it doesnot have the 50 amp service option..I was wondering if anyone knows if the vent is pre wired for the second AC,,.. I found one at a dealer that had the option,, but they wanted 25k more and wouldn't budge … I thinking that if it is only a 2000 dollar option, that it's already pre wired to the roof vent....next... has anyone installed solar to the hurricane with the controller and plug ins on the roof that it comes with???thanks for replying
Have an ACE 27.2 and like one thread on here that talked about 2 air condx, you'll probably find you don't need it. I ran into a guy last summer that had a 28'
or 29' ACE with 2 airs and said he never used the second one. DOn't let it get hot to begin with and if you need a little more cool in the front, you have pocket doors to close. We've parked in open areas near beaches that have regularly hit 95 here in FL and we can keep it cooled to about 78. Check the threads on here for 2 airs and see that most people agree with a coach your size. Good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #12

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Have an ACE 27.2 and like one thread on here that talked about 2 air condx, you'll probably find you don't need it. I ran into a guy last summer that had a 28'
or 29' ACE with 2 airs and said he never used the second one. DOn't let it get hot to begin with and if you need a little more cool in the front, you have pocket doors to close. We've parked in open areas near beaches that have regularly hit 95 here in FL and we can keep it cooled to about 78. Check the threads on here for 2 airs and see that most people agree with a coach your size. Good luck with it.
thanks,... got rid of the 27b and got a 29m 2ac's and king bed.... didn't like the fold out bed deal at all, and my wife hated it..it's gets over 120 degrees in havasu and vegas… but I guess if it gets too cold I can always turn the thermostat up
Old 02-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
thanks,... got rid of the 27b and got a 29m 2ac's and king bed.... didn't like the fold out bed deal at all, and my wife hated it..
Interesting
I was following your discussions during your swap from a Vegas-24.1 to a Hurricane, and was surprised when you decided on the 27b

Glad to hear your final, final decision (for now) is the 29m

Personally, I much prefer the 29m layout to the 27b

First and foremost...I don’t want to be required to use a slide in order to use the master bed
That is, when boondocking for a night or two, in a parking lot on the way to a final destination...
I prefer to pull-in, close the shades, turn off the lights and sleep without announcing to all with my extended slide, “I’m Sleeping here, now!”
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How is "Project Hurricane 27B" coming along?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #15

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Interesting
I was following your discussions during your swap from a Vegas-24.1 to a Hurricane, and was surprised when you decided on the 27b

Glad to hear your final, final decision (for now) is the 29m

Personally, I much prefer the 29m layout to the 27b

First and foremost...I don’t want to be required to use a slide in order to use the master bed
That is, when boondocking for a night or two, in a parking lot on the way to a final destination...
I prefer to pull-in, close the shades, turn off the lights and sleep without announcing to all with my extended slide, “I’m Sleeping here, now!”
actually,lol...I went from the vegas 24.1 to a new Fleetwood pace arrow DP, traded it in on a 29l winnabago ,then traded in on a 30 ds fr3, then the 27b