Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Ford extends E-Series into the 2020s

Ford reports it will “extend production of its E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis into the 2020s”

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...p-by-2020.html

Good news for those of us who own or like E-Series-based motorhomes.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ford reports it will “extend production of its E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis into the 2020s”

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...p-by-2020.html

Good news for those of us who own or like E-Series-based motorhomes.
interesting. I'm not all that impressed with them and was honestly hoping that the void left would be filled by something better as a chassis for future class c's.

I suppose it is good for me though, for future parts and accessories.... and the other thing doesn't matter to me I suppose, given that I'm unlikely to buy another class c since if we do ever buy another RV it will likely be after the kids are mostly out of the picture...so it'll probably be an A
Old 03-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The question is: Does that mean they will also extend V-10 production, or modify the E-Series chassis vehicles to use the new engine (hopefully the new engine).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #4

THOR #2121
The Ford announcement doesn’t mention possible changes or upgrades of any type that I see.

The E-Series already has a 6.2L V8 option, but I’d guess Ford is promoting the V10 on RV manufacturers in order to keep production numbers higher. Just a guess on my part because I haven’t seen a single motorhome thus far with the 6.2L V8, and it’s been out a year.

The newer V8 engine that’s coming may be too large — hard to say. Ford had issue with new diesel not fitting in E-Series.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I think the E series is a good chassis. Problem with R.V. use is, after all that weight is put on the chassis and it's distribution locations, R.V. builders do little to nothing to modify suspension to accommodate the issues.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
The newer V8 engine that’s coming may be too large — hard to say. Ford had issue with new diesel not fitting in E-Series.
That's why we get the 305 horsepower version; instead of the 320 that the F-53 owners get.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's why we get the 305 horsepower version; instead of the 320 that the F-53 owners get.
Could be, but, the only real difference would be the size of the aluminum cylinder heads, 2 valve vs. 3 valve.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! That's all that it took, to make the difference.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #9

THOR #2121
I doubt Ford will redesign too much unless they plan to keep the E-Series around for at least 5 years or so, but I’d personally like to see the engine moved forward just a bit to make more room around the doghouse. That’s one of the few complaints I have with my V-10 E-Series.

Whichever V-8 Ford ends up installing should be shorter than the V10, so there should be room for improvement (at least lengthwise). It’d also be nice if they could provide a little more width for feet, but that would require a narrower engine.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

THOR #2121
P.S. — Problem with 3-valve V-10 is probably too much heat rejection under doghouse.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #11

THOR #3483
Quote:
P.S. — Problem with 3-valve V-10 is probably too much heat rejection under doghouse.
So then why would the F53 chassis with say a 26' Winnebago Vista sitting on it be any different?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've heard that the added height of the three valve head was the problem: heat was never mentioned...
Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
So then why would the F53 chassis with say a 26' Winnebago Vista sitting on it be any different?
It’s a completely different arrangement of bodywork around engine. In an E-Series van the engine is boxed in very tightly on all sides by comparison to the more open F53.

If you think about it, in most F53 motorhomes the driver/passenger sit much higher above the engine, which allows air to move over engine much easier. In a van, the V10 sits much lower, essentially under the dash area, and the doghouse extends much further down on three sides of the engine.

The Axis/Vegas is a little more open which should allow better cooling, but E-Series stripped chassis are a small percentage of total so Ford has to design for worst case.

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about radiator cooling, but very hot air all around engine which can affect wires, hoses, electrical components, etc.

P.S. — I don’t see motorhome size as critical as engine maximum power and heat rejection. Just because motorhome is smaller than an F53 rig doesn’t mean a driver towing a trailer up a mountain won’t use all available engine power for an extended period of time.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
P.S. — I don’t see motorhome size as critical as engine maximum power and heat rejection. Just because motorhome is smaller than an F53 rig doesn’t mean a driver towing a trailer up a mountain won’t use all available engine power for an extended period of time.
I agree. This is why i'd rather have a larger displacement, high-torque setup, that never seems to get pushed to the max. You can tune a smaller, more efficient engine to get some really impressive numbers; but you've got to really "twist it's tail", in order to make the magic happen.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #15

THOR #3483
Quote:
It’s a completely different arrangement of bodywork around engine. In an E-Series van the engine is boxed in very tightly on all sides by comparison to the more open F53.

If you think about it, in most F53 motorhomes the driver/passenger sit much higher above the engine, which allows air to move over engine much easier. In a van, the V10 sits much lower, essentially under the dash area, and the doghouse extends much further down on three sides of the engine.

The Axis/Vegas is a little more open which should allow better cooling, but E-Series stripped chassis are a small percentage of total so Ford has to design for worst case.

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about radiator cooling, but very hot air all around engine which can affect wires, hoses, electrical components, etc.

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #16

THOR #2121
By the way, no one mentioned the other announcement from Ford in above linked report that could some day affect motorhomes:

“2020: New F-150 debuts with new hybrid powertrain featuring a mobile generator”

No details are offered, but the fact that Ford will soon be offering “mobile generators” on hybrid trucks is very encouraging. Once they have the technology perfected and parts available, they could offer the equivalent of a Volta or Xantrex system on motorhome chassis for much less cost.

I think it’s a natural fit once any level of “hybrid” technology is added to any of the motorhome chassis powertrains.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I may be a bit "old school" but the V-10/E450 chassis in our Vegas 24.1 has impressed me. This is unique as I am a Chevy guy. Pulling my bracket drag car on open trailer has been very effective.

Change is not always good, I run 18,000 GCVW, sometimes a little more on a chassis rated for 22,000. Acceleration, merging and stopping present not issues or white knuckle moments.

Gas mileage seems almost unaffected with 5,500 lb trailer. Handling can require concentration at times but I seem to not issues others do. I will add sumo in front and sway bars but is not urgent.

Overall we are very impressed with chassis and the Vegas itself. Overall is cheaper than new SUV and far more usable. Fort Wilderness is great even in this compact RV.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post

.....cut....

Change is not always good, .....cut.....
I agree with you 100%, but for me the change that could have been done much better dates back to 1997 when Ford made a heavy-duty V10 truck engine out of a small block auto V8. That required way too many compromises just to save on cost. Granted they did a good job, but design compromises remain regardless.

I have one with over 175,000 miles and had one of the original V10s in a Class C, plus have rented quite a few also, so it’s not that I dislike the V10’s durability, it’s just that it lacks refinement. And by today’s standard it also lacks power and torque for its size. Basically it’s outdated.

I’m not certain that what Ford is planning for new truck engine is necessarily better, but the basic architecture of a big-block V8 is better than a small-block V10. I’m very hopeful Ford can improve on V10 with greater refinement, fuel economy, and power/torque. Whether it’s as reliable over time we’ll have to wait and see.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #19

THOR #14647
E-Series is included in updated commercial offerings and gets the new 7.3L "Godzilla" big block V8...

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...le-lineup.html

From the media announcement...

Quote:
E-Series has been in continuous production for 58 years with more than 2.7 million vehicles still on the road*. Available in cutaway and stripped chassis models that are used for applications like shuttle buses, ambulances and small RVs, E-Series gets updated with new content for 2021. An updated interior features a refreshed instrument panel including new cluster, steering wheel and standard AM/FM stereo radio with Bluetooth functionality and USB ports. A new upfitter interface module provides a more seamless experience with installed equipment.
Two unique engine calibrations for the all-new 7.3-liter V8 engine let E-Series customers choose the best horsepower and torque application for their needs. A best-in-class maximum GVWR of 14,500 pounds lets E-Series carry the heaviest van upfits or RV chassis
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #20

THOR #2121
I’m not 100% certain, but think the picture below is of the new E-Series dash and interior. This was from the commercial truck show.

The steering wheel is very different, as is the dash. Unfortunately, the engine doghouse doesn’t look much different in size than before.

Of interest is that tachometer shows redline starting at around 5,500 RPMs. I wonder if that’s for 6.2L V8 or new 7.3L V8. The news report does state the new van will be a 2021 model year, so that leaves 2020 E-Series Model Year timing and revisions somewhat questionable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9EC72D2-A1CF-4F25-A50F-B74604915A53.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	16156