Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Importance of Dealer Service Reputation

I have commented many times on this forum about how important considering the service reputation of a dealership where you plan to buy an RV is. I have often said that this consideration about service after the sale is even more important that finding the best retail price.

We have all read of the horror stories of buyers who wind up with a list of discrepancies as long as their arm. We have also read of owners whose RV was at the dealership longer than it was at their home during that first year. We have also read about dealers keeping RVs for months waiting for parts and then taking weeks to schedule the RV into their maintenance facility.

I have also commented about the superb service I have gotten from my dealer (General RV of Tampa). Let me describe an incident that just happened two days ago.

In our last camping trip (a month in VA and PA), on the last week or so of that trip we began to have problems with our High Pointe Microwave/Convection oven. After about 8 to 10 minutes of operation it would shut completely down -- no power. If you waited 10 or 15 minutes the oven would beep and power would come back on. This happened 8 separate times. To me it seemed like a temperature problem.

I got the telephone number of High Pointe warranty service and called them. They also thought it was a temp problem. They told me to check if air was coming out the top grill of the oven when it was operating. I tried it the next day in my driveway and there was slight air coming out the grill. I was operating the A/C in the Vegas at the time and thought the fan might be weak. Called back High Pointe and they said to have my dealer validate the problem, notify them, and they'd send the dealer a new oven.

I was going to take it to the dealer later next week, but when I was taking it back to the storage lot I decided to drop in the dealer's for a few minutes to talk about the problem. When I got there, I spoke to the service rep I normally see. He said, "Wait a minute, let's check this out." He took his lunch out of the refrig in the break room and said that it needed to be heated anyway. We cranked up the Vegas generator (the A/C was off), and when we put his lunch in the oven there was no air coming out the vent at all. He said, "There's the problem, the fan isn't working." I told him about feeling air the day before. We thought for a few minutes, turned on the A/C and figured out the air I felt was A/C air going in the oven's bottom vent and coming out the top.

He took the Microwave model & serial number, and submitted the info to High Pointe by email. They are shipping a new oven today. My service rep said as soon as the oven arrives he'll call me to have me bring the Vegas over and they'll install the new one immediately. He said there was no problem waiting for Thor to approve the labor, they'd just change the oven and deal with Thor later.

This sounds pretty simple, but I've read all kinds of stories about owners waiting for extremely long times for some of the simplest maintenance actions.

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Now in the REAL business world, that should be the logic and steps t take care of things---sounds like you have a super team there!! On the ball and thinks ahead....just think if all RV service personal and parts customer service personnel could be allowed to think ahead and schedule ahead and work ahead they would be more efficient and more praise worthy!! Kudos to them!!! I think management and common sense and being tired just get in the way at many places!!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3770
Nice to have a relationship with your local dealer, or the one where you bought the coach. We find ourselves across the country and need to get a dealer to look at the coach. Either they will not take new customers, or you can make an appointment in a month. Frustrating to say the least.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Can't say enough good positive things about my dealer for my Axis 24.1, 2017. Tri-County Sales in Mossville, IL. Everything was in good working shape when it was delivered and the few little things after 2000 miles now have been fixed, and corrected quickly and professionally. They ware wonderful on the phone with answering questions when I am traveling.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
...I have also commented about the superb service I have gotten from my dealer (General RV of Tampa)...
Well... you're welcome from Michigan - which is where the Service Manager for General RV Tampa came from... He was the Service Manager at General RV Brownstown, MI when I bought my RV... and soon after moved to Tampa when they opened that facility...

Jury still out on his replacement there - and their White Lake facility (that has my RV now for a week with no update... Just called and they haven't even looked at it yet - after waiting over 2 weeks for an appointment...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
Jury still out on his replacement there - and their White Lake facility (that has my RV now for a week with no update... Just called and they haven't even looked at it yet - after waiting over 2 weeks for an appointment...)
That explains it: Our RV is currently at Brownstown and their response has been less than I had expected...hmm.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
General RV locations seem to have different policies when it comes to service appointments...
Brownstown has told me to bring it in anytime - but expect it to sit and wait... White Lake makes appointments - but a couple of weeks off.
White Lake is closer to me - and figured with a definite appointment - it might be faster... I gave them 2 weeks before I needed the rig - now if they have to order parts its going to be interesting...

A list of items to be worked - but primary issue is leveling jack failure - beeped a 'jacks down' warning in the last 1000 feet of an hour+ drive... stopped immediately to inspect and all jacks were up - but right front had fluid pouring out... Gave them everything else I had stored up for repairs (with extended warranty - one deductible covers everything reported in single visit...) Hopefully will hear back soon.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

THOR #2601
The thing General RV does in Tampa that I think k is unique is their drive-in first come first served maintenance service. The service department opens at 9AM. If you go early you can get in a first come line. Generally they take about 8 or 10 from this line. In general they take someone's whose problems can be fixed in 2 hours or less.

I've had several minor warranty issues taken care of from this service line. The other thing that is good about it is if you do have a major issue and it would only take a few minutes to validate it and decide on the parts, you can get the process started and come back when the parts come in.

My windshield stress crack ID an example of how this drive in service expediates some longer warranty repairs.. I went in on the first serve line. They looked at the crack. Decided it was stress and Thor would probably approve warranty replacemnt. They took pictures and wrote up the service item. That took about 30 minutes and sent me on my way. They said they would call when they heard from Thor. About a week later they called and said Thor approved the replacement and sent a windshield. About 10 days later they received the windshield. We scheduled the replacement for about 6 days later when their contract glass guy was in. I took the Vegas in and they had it for 4 days to change the windshield, wsit for the sealant to cure, and do a leak check.

Compare that to some of the "they had my RV for weeks waiting for parts and then took a month to schedule the work when the part came in' stories you read in this forum.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 08-04-2016, 02:23 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
My windshield stress crack ID an example of how this drive in service expediates some longer warranty repairs.. I went in on the first serve line. They looked at the crack. Decided it was stress and Thor would probably approve warranty replacemnt. They took pictures and wrote up the service item. That took about 30 minutes and sent me on my way. They said they would call when they heard from Thor. About a week later they called and said Thor approved the replacement and sent a windshield. About 10 days later they received the windshield. We scheduled the replacement for about 6 days later when their contract glass guy was in. I took the Vegas in and they had it for 4 days to change the windshield, wsit for the sealant to cure, and do a leak check.
I had a similar windshield experience at Alliance RV near TheVillages in Florida. The dealer I bought from is in Ohio, and all of my warranty work was done by other dealers. Campers Inn in Leesburg, FL gave good warranty service, but refused to replace the stress cracked windshield.

When we had a warranty problem on the road, the third dealer Thor suggested said, "Bring it in" and found a loose wire that solved the problem. The first two dealers would have scheduled us in, if we could wait 2 weeks, unacceptable.

We saved enough by trading with a dealer closer to the factory to pay for leveling jacks. Part of that was better allowance for our trade. It worked out fine for us. Now that we are out of warranty, "Thor authorzed" no longer matters, we will go where we like.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Can't say enough good positive things about my dealer for my Axis 24.1, 2017. Tri-County Sales in Mossville, IL. Everything was in good working shape when it was delivered and the few little things after 2000 miles now have been fixed, and corrected quickly and professionally. They ware wonderful on the phone with answering questions when I am traveling.
I couldn't agree more they are great. I bought our Four Winds there and they really take care of you. I heard they spend 3 to 4 days going over every RV and make sure it all works before the customer gets it. Safe Travels
Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #4067
How was alliance coach for repairs. What was the dealers namw where you traded. Thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 02:21 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnash View Post
How was alliance coach for repairs. What was the dealers namw where you traded. Thanks
Sorry for the delay, been out having new adventures. I shopped several dealers, including Total Value in Elkhart, IN. Our best deal came from Paul Sherry RV in. Ohio. It worked good for me, since I was going that way anyway. When we needed warranty repairs on the road, it worked out fine. Same with local dealers that we had shopped.

Alliance performed as promised, except they tried to ding me for labor over what Thor authorized. All you forum folks would have heard about it if they insisted I pay part of a covered warranty repair. The difference was 4 hours of labor! They worked it out with Thor, but I should not have been involved in that issue.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #4067
We are at MacDill AFB now and will call Thor for pre approval then call Alliance. No sense on taking any chances. I refuse to take it back to the CW I purchased it at. They eeplaced the windshield because of a defect and broke the wiper arm and didn't seal the window. It leaks and you can hear wind blowing in. They give Thor a bad name. Plus they didn't fix half the other issues. I truly don't understand the issue with adult supervision....
Old 10-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #14

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
High Pointe microwave warranty service number

Quote:
I have commented many times on this forum about how important considering the service reputation of a dealership where you plan to buy an RV is. I have often said that this consideration about service after the sale is even more important that finding the best retail price.

We have all read of the horror stories of buyers who wind up with a list of discrepancies as long as their arm. We have also read of owners whose RV was at the dealership longer than it was at their home during that first year. We have also read about dealers keeping RVs for months waiting for parts and then taking weeks to schedule the RV into their maintenance facility.

I have also commented about the superb service I have gotten from my dealer (General RV of Tampa). Let me describe an incident that just happened two days ago.

In our last camping trip (a month in VA and PA), on the last week or so of that trip we began to have problems with our High Pointe Microwave/Convection oven. After about 8 to 10 minutes of operation it would shut completely down -- no power. If you waited 10 or 15 minutes the oven would beep and power would come back on. This happened 8 separate times. To me it seemed like a temperature problem.

I got the telephone number of High Pointe warranty service and called them. They also thought it was a temp problem. They told me to check if air was coming out the top grill of the oven when it was operating. I tried it the next day in my driveway and there was slight air coming out the grill. I was operating the A/C in the Vegas at the time and thought the fan might be weak. Called back High Pointe and they said to have my dealer validate the problem, notify them, and they'd send the dealer a new oven.

I was going to take it to the dealer later next week, but when I was taking it back to the storage lot I decided to drop in the dealer's for a few minutes to talk about the problem. When I got there, I spoke to the service rep I normally see. He said, "Wait a minute, let's check this out." He took his lunch out of the refrig in the break room and said that it needed to be heated anyway. We cranked up the Vegas generator (the A/C was off), and when we put his lunch in the oven there was no air coming out the vent at all. He said, "There's the problem, the fan isn't working." I told him about feeling air the day before. We thought for a few minutes, turned on the A/C and figured out the air I felt was A/C air going in the oven's bottom vent and coming out the top.

He took the Microwave model & serial number, and submitted the info to High Pointe by email. They are shipping a new oven today. My service rep said as soon as the oven arrives he'll call me to have me bring the Vegas over and they'll install the new one immediately. He said there was no problem waiting for Thor to approve the labor, they'd just change the oven and deal with Thor later.

This sounds pretty simple, but I've read all kinds of stories about owners waiting for extremely long times for some of the simplest maintenance actions.

Hi Ed, I've been searching around for a phone number to locate a High Pointe microwave warranty service facility nearby. The 800 number in my microwave manual no longer works (I have a 2016 Thor Siesta 24SR so you'd think all the stuff in the coach should be reasonable current...). Do you still have the High Pointe phone number you contacted? Regards, Bob
Old 10-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #15

THOR #2601
Bob -- the HighPointe Customer Service number I have is 574-848-1118. Since the microwave was still under warranty, they told me to have my dealer verify the problem and they would send a new microwave to my dealer. That is what I did. It took about 6 days for them to send a new microwave to my dealer.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)