Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This improved the A/C in my Axis.

So I have a stupid question...

What is the round vent doing that opening one or both slide vents on either end aren’t doing?

One of the two sliding vents is right under the blower

If I open the sliding vent beneath the blower, I get more airflow... and colder... immediately upon exit from the unit as opposed to the duct vents.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Not a stupid question at all. (see my generator question for stupid)

If you notice the volume of air coming out of the slide vents and then take the cover off and compare what the blower is putting out you should see a very large difference. This volume of maximized cold air is what myself and others try to accomplish with the vent just below the blower. No mixing with ambient warm duct air. I can close the added circular vent and open the slide vents and for me I lose a large amount of air volume.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Your Outlaw AC may be different that the ones in the Axis/Vegas. The vents are on the sides in the Axis AC and the airflow when you add the circular vent right under the outflow is significant.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:15 AM   #24

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
I did the divider as described in this thread yesterday. I had about a 3/4" gap on both of them. I didn't check the temp prior but my vent temp after registered 58 degrees. I then moved the temp probe as Long & Winding road describes in another thread and I got the vent temp down to 46 degrees. I then did the back A/C unit (we have two 13.5k units on our rig). I was able to get that one down to about 45 degrees.

I decided to run both A/C units at once. Ambient temp outside was 82 degrees. Inside temp was 82-83 degrees. After a few minutes I got 40 degrees at the vent. Tomorrow I am going to do the rooftop insulation mods as Long & Winding road did. Hopefully get another degree or two cooler.

Really happy with these mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190705_204526_resized.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	18729   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190705_204548_resized.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	18730  

funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #25

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well done!

All of the mods add up. Did you mod your air ducts so they dont go beyond the last roof vent? This really increased my air flow which allowed the RV to cool down quicker and maintain temp when its hot outside.

Dont forget to reject as much heat as you can (reflective bubble in windows and or ceramic window tint, insulated pillow in roof vents, Insulate firewall + Dog house to keep heat out while driving etc).

Im always finding more spots to improve insulation and heat rejection.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #26

THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well done!

All of the mods add up. Did you mod your air ducts so they dont go beyond the last roof vent? This really increased my air flow which allowed the RV to cool down quicker and maintain temp when its hot outside.

Dont forget to reject as much heat as you can (reflective bubble in windows and or ceramic window tint, insulated pillow in roof vents, Insulate firewall + Dog house to keep heat out while driving etc).

Thanks.

I have not closed off the end ducts yet. Mine too go a long ways toward the front. I am doing the roof top insulation right now (had to come in and take a break, hot and humid). I am wrapping the tubes with insulating tape and then covering with the pipe insulation. I already did the cool box.

I had insulated the doghouse and under the floors last year. I have also purchased the Magneshade covers for the windshield and big side windows. They are a bit pricey but do a great job of keeping the sun out of the front of the coach while still letting you look out. Plus people outside can't see in.

We are going camping Monday. Can't wait to see and feel the difference.

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #27

THOR #12333
Well I insulated the cool box and double insulated the tubes on the roof. Kicked on both A/C's. Outside it was 85 and inside it was 93-96. After an hour (you can see the time top right on the temp panel) it was down to 83 and 81. That's 15 degrees in the front. Vent temp now is down to 37 degrees. All this was with the quick cooling vents closed. Loving all these cooling mods and I haven't even closed off the ends of the ducts yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190706_140715_resized.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	18739   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_140952_resized.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	18740  

Name:	20190706_151059_resized.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	18741   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_151111_resized.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	18742  

Old 07-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #28

THOR #12333
Two hours in and it is looking great. Front has dropped down to 73. That's 23 degrees in 2 hours. I'll have to mess with the air flow to get more cooling to the back. It's never cooled that well. Might be a little too good. Temp out of vent is 32 almost 31 degrees. I did check the coils and there wasn't anything freezing up. We leave Monday for 4 days. We will see how it does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190706_160950_resized.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	18748   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_161007_resized.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	18749  

Old 07-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #29

THOR #12231
Thats great but I would be concerned about freezing up the unit at those temps. I stopped when I got to the 42 deg mark on my AC temp gauge probe. That part is marked "Ideal" for a reason (on my gauge - yours is not marked).

What you need to do (IMO) is look (from the inside) at the condensor (where the temp probe is stuck into) to make sure its not frosting up. If so you need bring back up to 40 - 42 deg.

If not frosting then test for 6 or 8 hours then check it. Then I would do another check when its like 98 deg outside with around 70 - 80% humidity.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I can maintain (so far) 70 - 73 deg (in diff spots of my RV) consisitantly so far (in full sun and no reflective bubbles in the windows). Thats cool enough for me. I had it down in high 60's a few times when it was only like 83 deg outside.

But it has not been above 90 deg. where I been parked at so far. So im sure that will go up some (but then the bubble will come out to battle the heat).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #30

THOR #12333
Quote:
Thats great but I would be concerned about freezing up the unit at those temps. I stopped when I got to the 42 deg mark on my AC temp gauge probe. That part is marked "Ideal" for a reason (on my gauge - yours is not marked).

What you need to do (IMO) is look (from the inside) at the condensor (where the temp probe is stuck into) to make sure its not frosting up. If so you need bring back up to 40 - 42 deg.

If not frosting then test for 6 or 8 hours then check it. Then I would do another check when its like 98 deg outside with around 70 - 80% humidity.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I can maintain (so far) 70 - 73 deg (in diff spots of my RV) consisitantly so far (in full sun and no reflective bubbles in the windows). Thats cool enough for me. I had it down in high 60's a few times when it was only like 83 deg outside.

But it has not been above 90 deg. where I been parked at so far. So im sure that will go up some (but then the bubble will come out to battle the heat).
Yep, it is low. I did check the coils after the two hours and no icing at all. We leave today for 4 days. Supposed to be 82 - 88 degrees during those days. I will keep an eye on it. Both of my oldest sons are in HVAC. I talked with them and they said the same thing, keep an eye on it.

I did close off the end of the ducts at the rear of the MH. Definitely made a difference in air flow.

Again, thanks for all your great ideas!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #31

THOR #12231
Ok, thats good. But the true test will be when its like 95+ degrees outside with 60 - 75%+ humidity.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #32

THOR #12333
Quote:
Ok, thats good. But the true test will be when its like 95+ degrees outside with 60 - 75%+ humidity.
Agreed. It's going to be 88 Wednesday and about 90% humidity. Should give me an idea. Simple enough fix, just lower the probe down a little.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 AM   #33

Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
THOR #2580
I saw a video were as they remove the plastic on the Air Conditioner Shroud on the coil side to allow better air flow by installing a screen type material ( normally used for a concrete or plaster backing) and riveted to the remaining plastic.
This increased the performance of the conditioning unit by several degrees.
I have not performed this yet however soon will (living in the high desert)we need all the help we can get in the summer time.
Thank for the video
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #34

THOR #12231
Yeah I saw that video as well.

Not sure if it would make a huge differnce on my colman.

I looked at it and the louver covers seem to be widely spaced on my cover (So I would think plenty of air flow). It sucks in from the back and blow out both sides on my model. So then you have a cover (IMO) does not look so good from the 3 side (I would think in order to get the max you would have to do all 3 sides) and I wanted to keep my cover looking factory.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #6899
Pete, I have a 2017 31W, and would like to make this same fix. Could you just confirm the size of the vent you purchased, (and forgive me for asking dumb questions, not being hugely practical), what size hole did you make in the plastic cover?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Excellent A/C thread, we had the same incorrect installation from the factory. Thank you all for all the cooling upgrade tips!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #37

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
We have been on a 2 week trip to the U.P. via Quadra Manufacturing for BigFoot install. Some temps as high as 89 with 90% humidity and never an issue with keeping cool. We did all the mods except the vent which we will do when we get home, just didn't have time to do it before we left. The vent just makes sense.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #38

THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam View Post
Pete, I have a 2017 31W, and would like to make this same fix. Could you just confirm the size of the vent you purchased, (and forgive me for asking dumb questions, not being hugely practical), what size hole did you make in the plastic cover?
I bought this vent that looks just like the ones already in my ceiling vents. It fits in a 4 5/8" hole.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pete
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #39

Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Close off ducts?

Quote:
Well done!

What are you guys using too close off the ducts? I think this will help my unit, air feels pretty weak at the end points....thanks...Mark
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #40

THOR #9522
I stuffed in a chunk of soft urethane foam from an old mattress topper.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote