Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #13394
Info on Passenger Comfort: Vegas 24.1 or 25.5

I am shopping for my first motorhome, after previously having a TT.

I am looking for a mid sized unit, and I think my options are narrowed down to 5 or 6. Two of these are the Vegas 24.1 and 25.5.

So my main questions are: What are the CCC's of the 2018 Thor Vegas lineup. It seems very suspicious that Thor does not publish these.

What is passenger comfort like on the beds in these coaches while on the road? I understand that these two coaches do not come with seatbelts on those two opposing beds/couches. I would intend to install seatbelts on them because I would want to use them for hauling more passengers. Is there a lot of bounce on those couches? Is the 24.1 bouncier because the beds are aft of the rear axle?

I liked the Vegas lineup of floor plans.

TIA

Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

I don't think Thor publishes the CCC of any motorhome they sell. Once you have one a quick trip to the scales will tell you.

These days they are all built on the E-450 chassis which means they have a 22,000 lbs GVWR. If our unit was built on the 450 we'd have a 11,000 CCC! (Ours was built on the E-350 and only weighs in around 11,000 lbs. The more recent ones are a bit heavier.)

We've never had anyone on the rear beds while on the road--not sure how you'd put a seatbelt back there anyway? Strap them down as they lay on the bed??

You'd probably be better off with the 25.5 as those beds can be made up as benches.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I like the 25.5 floor plan, I guess you can add more seat belts if you really want to. Most RV manufactures have the seatbelts on the forward facing seats only (Saftey reasons). But they have belts on the on sideway couches.

Its a little bouncy in the back. The mid part is not bad and the cockpit had a great ride. We love our 25.4 (Discont. floor plan now).

How Many people do you want to seat? 24.1 show 5 seat belts, 25.5 (Vegas only now) had 5 and the longer 27.7 has seatbelts for 6.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #4

THOR #13394
I wrote a long response but the forum timed out and my response wasn't posted

GCVR = weight of rig + tow vehicle.

CCC= GVWR - dry weight
but don't forget the weight of fuel and water, which at 55gal and 42 gal respectively, can add up to about 750lbs.

So the GVWR = 14500 minus full tanks is 13750.

The weights according to Thor (I emailed them) range from 10,800 on the 24.1
11k lbs to 11.5k on the various 25's
and 11900lbs on the 27.7.

So that is a little better than I feared, but it points out the design flaw with the 27.7. It is bigger and looks like it could carry more but since it is built on the same chassis, the 27.7 can carry about 2000lbs of people and gear safely while the 24.1 can carry about 3000lbs of people and gear.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

THOR #13394
I will add that right now my purchase plan is narrowed down to about 4 rigs:

Vegas 24.1
Vegas 25.5
Forest River Forester 2291s
Georgetown GT3 24W3 { discontinued and down to dealer stock; this may be a buying opportunity or not }

Discussion welcome

A big advantage to the Forester is that I can legally park a 22' class motorhome in my suburban driveway. Larger and I must secure offsite parking (and a monthly fee for it)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I guess it comes down to what you like more and the price. If the one you like the best is like $10K more is it worth it to you? Sometimes it is .... but thats a personal choice.

Plus how long will you live in in your current location. Perhaps you will be movnig in the next 2 years to a place that does not restrict the RV size? Or perhaps it will be 10 years?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote