Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12184
Installing an Inverter for AC during Drive

HAs anyone got experience installing an inverter so you can charge a Laptop, guests can watch one of the TV's, make coffee ... when driving ..

Rockjoy

Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #10354
Aims True Sinewave inverter

Aims offers a true sinewave unit that produces 1200 Watts and includes a required transfer switch. There are forum articles on this already. Each coach will have it's own place to mount the unit. It's wired into the 12V coach battery and the 120VAC panel, using one of the breakers for it's placement in the AC system.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you don’t already have an inverter?

what is your yr make model of coach?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Yes:

Thor Forums - Search Results
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
My question, why not run the generator while traveling down the road? That would take care of all your needs.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #6

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
If you have a generator run it and the AC unit while driving. More fuel efficient than using the truck AC.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Aims offers a true sinewave unit that produces 1200 Watts and includes a required transfer switch. There are forum articles on this already. Each coach will have it's own place to mount the unit. It's wired into the 12V coach battery and the 120VAC panel, using one of the breakers for it's placement in the AC system.
I assume you might be talking about this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverte...+watt+inverter

pretty slick, but
Reading the questions, it looks like you'd have to reset this to "on" any time it looses power, so not ideal if installing hidden someplace.

I've wanted one for a while, but only so I can run my keurig in the early morning without running the genny. It just hasn't been a high enough priority yet....
Old 07-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
On my rig: they call it an "entertainment inverter". It powers the TVs...
So I figure that it's simple to just unplug one of them, and use that receptacle for my "mobile 110" needs.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #9

THOR #10354
"on" switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I assume you might be talking about this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverte...+watt+inverter

pretty slick, but
Reading the questions, it looks like you'd have to reset this to "on" any time it looses power, so not ideal if installing hidden someplace.

I've wanted one for a while, but only so I can run my keurig in the early morning without running the genny. It just hasn't been a high enough priority yet....
They also sell a remote switch that can be placed anywhere in the RV because it has a 25' cord (4 wire telephone cable).
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

State: Indiana
THOR #20105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I have a 2012 Thor ACE 29.1. Want too install in inverter to run the TV and coffee pot. Question is if I mount this under the rear bed at the WAFCO, can I just parallel the 12 volt from the converter to power it and run the 120v output directly in parallel to 120v input from shore power/generator. That makes it an easy install, except for the contortions required to even get to the WAFCO. Or am I totally missing something. Also would it be best to have a manual switch over so it is only on when ya need it on, or is that asking for trouble.
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks
M
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #11

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
To do this mod properly it’s best to have an inverter with an auto-transfer switch.
Here’s the current one available on Amazon with the remote power switch.

AIMs Inverter-https://smile.amazon.com/AIMS-POWER-PWRIX120012SUL-Pure-Inverter/dp/B074CHSXBD

Remote-https://smile.amazon.com/Aims-REMOTEHF-Inverter-Remote-Switch/dp/B00RM3T8II

Here’s a series of videos that will help you understand the process of installing an inverter that will be integrated with your coach systems.

AIMs Inverter Install Videos-https://www.thorforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174409&postcount=2

This is a proven install method for an RV.
The inverter will power the “outlet” line. Items on the outlet line are: TV & DVD outlets, inside ceiling outlets, refrigerator outlet (for Norcold AC/Propane fridge).

The inverter will not power the GFI outlet line. If you want a GFI outlet to be powered by the inverter, you can easily re-route the desired outlet to the standard outlet line.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
I have a 2012 Thor ACE 29.1. Want too install in inverter to run the TV and coffee pot. Question is if I mount this under the rear bed at the WAFCO, can I just parallel the 12 volt from the converter to power it and run the 120v output directly in parallel to 120v input from shore power/generator. That makes it an easy install, except for the contortions required to even get to the WAFCO. Or am I totally missing something. Also would it be best to have a manual switch over so it is only on when ya need it on, or is that asking for trouble.
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks
M
Two problems with that install:

1 - The cables and breaker from the house batteries to that location are only rated for 50 amps. That's less than 5 AC amps before you blow something on the DC side.

2. If you "parallel" an inverter on the AC side without using an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) or manual selector switch you are definitely setting yourself up to let the magic smoke out if the inverter is on while the generator or SP is on, and possibly the first time you connect to SP or run the generator as most inverters don't like to be backfed 120 VAC.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #13

THOR #20105
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
To do this mod properly it’s best to have an inverter with an auto-transfer switch.
Here’s the current one available on Amazon with the remote power switch.

AIMs Inverter-https://smile.amazon.com/AIMS-POWER-PWRIX120012SUL-Pure-Inverter/dp/B074CHSXBD

Remote-https://smile.amazon.com/Aims-REMOTEHF-Inverter-Remote-Switch/dp/B00RM3T8II

Here’s a series of videos that will help you understand the process of installing an inverter that will be integrated with your coach systems.

AIMs Inverter Install Videos-https://www.thorforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174409&postcount=2

This is a proven install method for an RV.
The inverter will power the “outlet” line. Items on the outlet line are: TV & DVD outlets, inside ceiling outlets, refrigerator outlet (for Norcold AC/Propane fridge).

The inverter will not power the GFI outlet line. If you want a GFI outlet to be powered by the inverter, you can easily re-route the desired outlet to the standard outlet line.
Thanks a million that’s exactly what I needed.
M
Old 02-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #14

THOR #20105
Thanks. Yeah I know about expensive magic smoke and for sure would have to have a transfer switch.
Great info on the wire size too. I was wondering.
Thanks
M
Old 02-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #15

Model: 2016 ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2371
I installed a dedicated 500 watt inverter specifically to run the fridge while driving. We can keep everything cool while using propane. Have to be careful to turn it off when at destination though.
You could add an inverter anywhere for any reason.

Marc
Old 02-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck View Post
I installed a dedicated 500 watt inverter specifically to run the fridge while driving. We can keep everything cool while using propane. Have to be careful to turn it off when at destination though.

You could add an inverter anywhere for any reason.

Marc

I did the same but added an automatic transfer switch for about $50 so the fridge will switch to shore power whenever I plug in at a park. If I happen to be boondocking I switch to propane
Old 02-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
I like the install that taylorbob1 referenced. I have to peek inside where our wiring is (under one of the dinette seats) and see where all of the connections are.

My first thought is to grab 12v from the battery at the converter box, which is after the DC disconnect, plug in two power strips. One I would run to the counter for the coffee pot and other low voltage items such as chargers, and the other up to the overhead cabinet where the entertainment equipment is.

Wayne

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
1 - The cables and breaker from the house batteries to that location are only rated for 50 amps. That's less than 5 AC amps before you blow something on the DC side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
My first thought is to grab 12v from the battery at the converter box, which is after the DC disconnect, plug in two power strips.
Unless your inverter is under 500 watts that isn't a good plan.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
My plan is to get at least 1000w inverter.

Please explain.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
My plan is to get at least 1000w inverter.

Please explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
A 1000 watt inverter will pull at least 1000 watts/12 VDC = 84 amps DC.

And that's not taking into account inverter inefficiency and other DC loads from the battery.

You can mount it in that location but you need to run a separate power cable and fuse/breaker from the battery to the inverter. The existing 50 amp breaker and cable won't handle it.