Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Texas
THOR #30605
Residential Fridge Not Cooling

After much trial and error, I've found that my residential whirlpool fridge is not cooling while it's in the "cubby hole" in the slide out. If I pull the fridge on to the living room floor then it's cooling and freezing just fine. Is this just due to poor air circulation behind the fridge when it's in the enclosure? This seems like a pretty big design flaw if it doesn't cool right in warm weather.

This issue is consistent while on generator power or shore power. Doesn't matter what my power source is.

2020 Thor Outlaw Class A 38MB.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
When you pull it out are you plugging it in at the cubby hole location. If no then I would suspect loss of power at that outlet.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I’m on my second Motorhome with a Whirlpool residential refrigerator in a cubby hole. Neither has ever had an issue cooling regardless of outside temperature. The current fridge is 3 years old and has been used in temps over 100 degrees.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:26 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Residential fridges are almost a closed unit other than the evaporation tray underneath. It could be a loose connection in the 120V receptacle. When you push it back in...something pushes back against the plug and causes a disconnect. That's what I would check first. Take that outlet loose and check connections. There's been too many built like this with no similar posts that I've seen for it to be a design flaw. Something is interfering with the power under pressure.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:30 PM   #5

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #30605
Yeah I even tried it in different outlets and it has the same issue. Must be the fridge connection.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:36 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I had a 20 year residential fridge in my garage for years, temps well above 110. One day it stopped cooling and I was like great time to chunk it. I get it outside in sun light and saw a lot of dirt / debris so i decided to rinse off. Saw a very small fan and decided to plug it back in in the driveway and sure enough that little fan did not come on. I am gonna sound like the Damn Duck, but I bought a $8 fan off ebay and a few days later it was freezing and cooling like brand new. That fridge is 30 years old and still going.

So I say yes, you have a circulation problem. But my question is why now as cubby hole is the same. Look for that fan outside or find out from Mfg what is acceptable ambient temperature for it to cool properly.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 12:51 AM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
True story: we had a house fire in 2001. Burn out inside but didn't burn down. Only thing in house still alive was the 12 year old fridge. All smoked up but light was on. I kept it in garage as a back up for 15 more years until it finally crossed over the Freon Bridge.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 01:43 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
After much trial and error, I've found that my residential whirlpool fridge is not cooling while it's in the "cubby hole" in the slide out. If I pull the fridge on to the living room floor then it's cooling and freezing just fine. Is this just due to poor air circulation behind the fridge when it's in the enclosure? This seems like a pretty big design flaw if it doesn't cool right in warm weather.

This issue is consistent while on generator power or shore power. Doesn't matter what my power source is.

2020 Thor Outlaw Class A 38MB.
WE have a whirlpool residential in cubby and works well. My GUESS is it is a one off issue and no real idea what.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 01:55 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
True story: we had a house fire in 2001. Burn out inside but didn't burn down. Only thing in house still alive was the 12 year old fridge. All smoked up but light was on. I kept it in garage as a back up for 15 more years until it finally crossed over the Freon Bridge.
Gosh I hope everyone was safe and sorry about all of your family's personal losses. Somehow, as I was reading, I was think you were going to say you open up the freezer and it still had ice in the icemaker

Isn't it funny how so may people buy all of those fancy extended warranties on a product like a fridge that is brand new or a year or two old, yet some have fridges that just won't die.

I think the OP's fan is not putting out like it did when new, it needs to be replaced, I am assuming that his fridge use to work just fine in that exact same cubby hole at the exact same ambient temperature.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:24 PM   #10

Model: chateau 23U
THOR #1241
power test in situ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
When you pull it out are you plugging it in at the cubby hole location. If no then I would suspect loss of power at that outlet.
If the little fellow inside switches the light on when the door is open, ya got power.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGeek View Post
If the little fellow inside switches the light on when the door is open, ya got power.
Issue isn’t power, it’s the fridge not cooling.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #12

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
You should have two fans that affect cooling, one is inside, the evaporator fan and one is near the compressor both are inexpensive. It might be worth replacing each one.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #13

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Pull onto floor…is that 2 inches or a foot? Sounds like insufficient airflow around the fridge. Look for any possibility of air blockage when the fridge is in the cubby. Residential fridges need a minimum clearance on the side and top - make sure you have those. It doesn’t take much to restrict air flow. Even dusty coils or dust balls under the fridge can cause an issue.