Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Insurance and Extended Warranties

Just curious what your thoughts are on insurance and extended warranties on a 2017 Axis 24.1. The dealer pretty much told me stick with whoever I have all my homeowners and vehicles insured through, which for me is Allstate, but is there a benefit with going with a company like Good Sam which i believe specializes in rv's?
Also the dealer introduced us to an extended warranty through USA travel care for an additional 1400$ says it is their platinum plan and covers for 5yrs. Salesman isn't pushy about it but did say however that if he were to buy a plan, out of the several he had to pitch us, this was the one that would be most beneficial.
Whether its a sales ploy or not still curious if it is worth taking a look into?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #2

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Forgive me I realized after I posted this I should have put in a general forum section.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Several threads recently on extended warranties... search for those as several of us added opinions...

For the insurance question - I would certainly get a quote from your current insurance company - there are often 'multi line' discounts that can help...
But I would compare with a company that specializes in RV coverage as well.

While my then provider (State Farm) quoted a policy for me, they admitted it wasn't their specialty - and the quote wasn't competitive. Price and 'Agreed Value' (replacement coverage) were the two major areas.

I used National General for the first 2 years on the current RV... Last renewal they tried to raise my premiums about 40% (no claims, no violations... just a 'thank you for being a customer'.. lol)
Now insured through SafeCo...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
There were two recent threads on both of these subjects as someone else said, if you want to dig those out and sift through them.

The price your dealer quoted you for that extended warranty is pretty cheap. It actually ends up being a 4 year warranty in a way because of your one year factory warranty. Then if you figure in your engine/frame manufacturer 3 year/36,000 miles bumper to bumper, that takes a good part of your extended warranty down to 2 years. Some say it is a good idea to shop for an extended warranty at the end of the 1 year Thor warranty. Personal choice either way.

National Insurance (thru Good Sam"s) is one of the few RV insurer's that will allow you to drop collision while your unit is in storage. We could have gotten a slightly better rate from the same company that insures our home, but they wouldn't let us drop collision. By us dropping collision our premium goes down by 45% while the MH is stored. Just something else to consider, of course your financial institution (if your RV is financed) will have to give permission to drop collision while in storage also) when comparing rates.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
National Insurance (thru Good Sam"s) is one of the few RV insurer's that will allow you to drop collision while your unit is in storage. We could have gotten a slightly better rate from the same company that insures our home, but they wouldn't let us drop collision. By us dropping collision our premium goes down by 45% while the MH is stored. Just something else to consider, of course your financial institution (if your RV is financed) will have to give permission to drop collision while in storage also) when comparing rates.
A word of caution - and likely varies by state...
In Michigan - if I dropped collision - and had the RV in storage (using local storage lot) - and someone hit my RV with their MH, trailer, mower, snow plow, vehicle, etc - I would be without coverage...
Michigan is a no fault state with some interesting (being nice) insurance situations.. including strict limitations on what one can recover from an 'at fault' party for vehicle damages...
Your state / circumstances may be different.

I haven't checked into Florida - where MH will now be stored on my property... but I don't expect to have it in 'storage' for months at a time either.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote