Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Inverter

Just got my new Windsport 31s and not sure about what the inverter powers. I ask this question because I was told it powers only the TV's but the one in the living area has no power. I also found that it powers the microwave so the info I got is incorrect. Hope someone out there knows more than dealership personal.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Just got my new Windsport 31s and not sure about what the inverter powers. I ask this question because I was told it powers only the TV's but the one in the living area has no power. I also found that it powers the microwave so the info I got is incorrect. Hope someone out there knows more than dealership personal.

Call customer support @ 1-8770855-2867 give them the last 8 of your VIN # and ask them to send you the schematics for the inverter setup . On mine they are marked and the TV in the LR is not hooked up to the inverter but the one in the BR and Outside are. Also Microwave is not but the fridge is ( 2018 ACE 30.3)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
generally the Inverter is only setup to run the residential fridge, when the generator is not on, or you are not plugged into shore power.

some manufacturers 'might' have a tv on the inverter, but that's probably not the case for you. some TVs, though, especially for the bedroom, will be a 12v tv and work regardless of the inverter since they get their power directly from the batteries.

some smaller inverters might also have an regular 120v household outlet on the inverter itself, which you can make use of for other things you want to plug in.

here's a good option if you find that only the fridge is on the inverter:
Wmt and other big box stores, and auto parts stores, carry inexpensive portable INVERTERS. You can either buy the small type that plug into your 12v outlet near the driver(which runs off the chassis/engine battery), OR you can buy the slightly larger type that have 'alligator style' clips that can connect directly to your house battery(s), just like your onboard Inverter does.
If your batteries are within your step well at the entrance door, the second option might be an easy way to have 'extra' power outlets for your fans, tvs, device chargers, etc... even if you have to run an extension cord from it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #4

THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
Call customer support @ 1-8770855-2867 give them the last 8 of your VIN # and ask them to send you the schematics for the inverter setup . On mine they are marked and the TV in the LR is not hooked up to the inverter but the one in the BR and Outside are. Also Microwave is not but the fridge is ( 2018 ACE 30.3)
Pretty close to what I got. How are the live outlets marked. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The interesting thing I have discovered about Thor built products, is there is, 'as designed' and 'as built, and the two are not necessarily the same. Thor will only supply drawings for 'as designed' but your coach may be wired or plumbed differently. In my case the as designed drawings, show the kitchen sink draining into the black tank, though the reality is, only the toilet and the bathroom sink drain into the black tank. The kitchen sink in reality is plumbed to drain into the grey tank. I asked Thor for a set of 'as built' drawings, and was told they do not exist.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
Interesting info...thank you turnerfam...following this conversation... We have a 2018 ACE 29.3 and are interested on light to mid boondocking....our hope, for budget as well as to see What-we-need is to consider upgrades for our coach in two stages...
Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
My 31S inverter powers the outside fridge, (but not the outside kitchen receptacles) the TV antenna, outside TV, and the receptacle up front at the passenger "desk". Surprised that Thor did not wire one of the rear bedroom receptacles to the inverter.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

THOR #6007
Thanks am surprised no inverter receptacle in bedroom too. Is there a USB port at passenger seat are and in bedroom bedroom? Hmmm, dumb question of me. How easy will it be for me (assuming similar situation to yours) to add one bdrm receptacle, inside tvs and one at kitchen counter receptacle?....we plan to switch to 2000w pure sine inverter and 300+ roof panels for light boondocking....would like to watch tv and run a coffee maker ....ideally, very occasional and short microwave if possible (it may not be)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #9

THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
My 31S inverter powers the outside fridge, (but not the outside kitchen receptacles) the TV antenna, outside TV, and the receptacle up front at the passenger "desk". Surprised that Thor did not wire one of the rear bedroom receptacles to the inverter.
Mine runs the microwave also but not the front TV
Old 06-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #10

THOR #4468
Inverter is under the bed so should be easy to add or convert the plug there. Running wire to the other locations would be challenging. Also looking at solar panels, keep posting with your research. Still trying to determine if mine came with a solar controller.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #11

THOR #6007
My understanding is 'solar prep' to Thor means a 10 guage wire from the roof to the battery compartment....hope there is more to it..
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #12

THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Inverter is under the bed so should be easy to add or convert the plug there. Running wire to the other locations would be challenging. Also looking at solar panels, keep posting with your research. Still trying to determine if mine came with a solar controller.
Found the terminated solar wires under the rear bed. Now have to research/get panels and a controller and run wires almost all the way forward to the batteries.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
In my 31S, the inverter powers the duplex plugs behind the main and bedroom TV sets and the outside frig. It also powers the single plug in the electrical equipment cubby above the frig and the front computer plug for the copilot. For some reason, it does not power the outside TV. My microwave draws 1,200 watts so it won't operate on my 1,000 watt inverter, even if I were to plug it into the inverter powered plug in the electrical cubby. For you guys with a 1,800 watt inverter, the big Whirlpool is probably powered by the inverter
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #14

THOR #6007
Interesting info from all who are posting....thanks..wow, just when I think I am beginning to understand the inverter/battery/solar topic situations described by members gets me confused yet again....Somehow I'll figure it out. Trying to do so quickly as our ACE 29.3 coach is 3 weeks out from delivery and I want to get an inverter system installed immediately...

Biggest new research item for me is batteries...really getting intriqued with this topic...

Would appreciate all people with experiences sharing..
Old 06-17-2017, 01:39 AM   #15

THOR #6007
Hmmm, what else is under the bed? The inverter? I was told by a Thor rep today my new 29.3 will have a wire from roof to the battery compartment....but somehow the solar controller has to be in the circuit too..
Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #16

Model: Windsport
State: California
THOR #4835
My Windsport 32n inverter powers both refrigerators. I just found this out a couple months ago. I had been using the generator while we travel since there is no propane. Very happy now.