Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #23911
Electrical issue

Good morning. First post here. I have searched the forums and now might be more confused than before. We have a new 2021 Hurricane 34R. Used a few times while connected to shore power with no issues. Going to use it frequently at our pond - no electric available.
So we used it this past weekend boondocking and have some weird things. House batteries would drain a bit more than expected overnight so we would run the generator the next day (yes - with the battery disconnect/salesman switch set to ON). Didn't really have any issues through the weekend. Knew we wouldn't be using the RV through the week, but left if parked at the pond for upcoming use. Decided to run the generator for about 7 hours Sunday afternoon to charge the house batteries so it would be ready to use this weekend. Left the battery disconnect switch in the ON position while running generator and then when we locked up the RV and left (after turning off the generator).
Went out yesterday and nothing worked on the inside of the RV (no lights, could not get the control panel to turn on, no power to tvs, etc). I did not check the refrigerator. Could not start generator from the control panel because it had no power. If I remember correctly - we could not start generator from the switch on the dash panel by the driver seat either. We started the RV and then it allowed us to start the generator.
We tested a few things with the RV running, with the generator running and off, etc. What I found odd was when everything was turned OFF, including the generator, the RV engine and the battery disconnect switch - we still had power to all three televisions inside the coach. Is this how it is supposed to be? I assumed that turning the battery disconnect switch to OFF, killed all the power in the house area. I do not recall hearing a 'thunk' when changing the battery disconnect switch from ON to OFF (or vice-versa).
Need to get the voltmeter out for sure, but really don't know what to check and what my readings should be.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson View Post
Left the battery disconnect switch in the ON position while running generator and then when we locked up the RV and left (after turning off the generator).
So you left the battery disconnect switch ON when "storing" the RV? Good recipe for dead house batteries.

But you also said
Quote:
What I found odd was when everything was turned OFF, including the generator, the RV engine and the battery disconnect switch - we still had power to all three televisions inside the coach.
So it sounds like you also have an inverter which is NOT controlled by the battery disconnect and needs to be turned OFF at the inverter control panel. This will also turn off your residential fridge when not on SP.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #3

THOR #23911
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So you left the battery disconnect switch ON when "storing" the RV? Good recipe for dead house batteries.
Yes - we left the battery switch on, to test to see if the batteries would last a couple days as we knew we were going to check it out in a day or so. So that brings up a question - when should we turn this switch to OFF? If it isn't going to be used for 3 days, 7 days, etc?

But you also said

So it sounds like you also have an inverter which is NOT controlled by the battery disconnect and needs to be turned OFF at the inverter control panel. This will also turn off your residential fridge when not on SP.
As for the inverter, there is a power button on the inverter panel, but it never turned the inverter off. I would push and push/hold for a few seconds, but the power never turned off. Is that power button just turning this 'remote' panel off (even though it never turned off) and I need to find where the actual inverter is located? If so - any guesses to point me in a general direction?
Old 06-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #4

THOR #23911
Picture of the inverter panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	31547  
Old 06-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Picture of the inverter panel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrex X Owners manual page 58
To prevent unnecessary battery discharge, press the Power
button to Standby mode when you are not using the Freedom X.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
you have a ton of things in your Rig sucking power! From power bars, sound bars, tv's, etc.

I fixed our hurricane power issue by adding 200 watts solar panels to pre wired system and 2 more house batteries

never have any dead batteries and frig is always on!
Old 06-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

THOR #23911
So does everyone turn the battery disconnect switch off regardless of how long it will sit idle? During our walk thru, they made it sound like not turning it to OFF unless it was going to sit for a month or so.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #8

THOR #23911
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
you have a ton of things in your Rig sucking power! From power bars, sound bars, tv's, etc.

I fixed our hurricane power issue by adding 200 watts solar panels to pre wired system and 2 more house batteries

never have any dead batteries and frig is always on!
Anything special needed to add the 2 extra batteries?
Old 06-22-2021, 08:09 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I never turn the coach off. There are parasitic draws like the propane detector, radio, etc. that don't seem to be affected by the cut of switch. I unplug anything that has a remote control to kill its draw. If you really want the house batteries off, install a manual battery cut-off. They sell them on Amazon for less than 10 bucks. It is also possible your batteries are low on water or about shot.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
So does everyone turn the battery disconnect switch off regardless of how long it will sit idle? During our walk thru, they made it sound like not turning it to OFF unless it was going to sit for a month or so.
If it is plugged in to shore power, them ON always, no exceptions (electrical maintenance and repair, excluded). If no shore power, the automatic generator start disabled and the coach not being used, OFF. Even if you turn everything off you can find and do not turn the battery disconnect relay off, the electric brakes on the slide's motors will still draw significant amperage.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote