Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #9303
Issue with Axxera AV615BHM radio

I have a Axxera Av615BHM radio installed on my 2017 Thor Vegas. Today, the sound (audio) stopped coming out of the radio or the XM add-on (through AUX-IN mode) . It has never done this before. I have power to the radio and all signs show everthing, including the cameras are working okay. Just no audio. It was not muted anywhere. Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas on how to correct the problem? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #2

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
We have a Axxera radio also in our ACE. Not sure of the model but was told most do the mute thing when you try to add on other sources. For mine to work with the Aux-in, I have to turn the Axxera on first and then my other source (which is a i-pod). Once the sound level bars show up I can turn my iPod on and everything is a go. Note though, sound will be muted when you use the turn signals. Hope this helps. I want to replace it but haven't found anything to just drop in.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
.... I want to replace it but haven't found anything to just drop in.
Check out the Pioneer NEX series. I love mine.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6892
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Check out the Pioneer NEX series. I love mine.
Do all the mirror cameras work with the NEX when you activate the turn signals? Easy to install? My unit died this week...had nothing but problems with the cheap Axxera. Love the Axis motorhome, but that radio is garbage.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 AM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_kay View Post
Do all the mirror cameras work with the NEX when you activate the turn signals? Easy to install? My unit died this week...had nothing but problems with the cheap Axxera. Love the Axis motorhome, but that radio is garbage.
My cams work with manual switches that are installed in the cubby hole at the bottom. I prefer manual control and I rarely use the side cameras. I had a professional install it.
  1. The screen is brighter.
  2. The rear camera has dotted lines which makes judging distance easier.
  3. It supports ApplePlay (and CarPlay)
  4. It allows one to change the color of the buttons. Blue LEDs drive me crazy.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:32 AM   #6

State: Tennessee
THOR #9213
Av615bhm

How do you remove the av615bhm from the case located in the dash? Is there a special to get it out?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #12361
Axxera Radio

Im trying to find out the same info and from what i understand you have to pull the dash out as there are 4 screw holding the radio in!Junk and nothings simple!I cant find any videos or PDF,s describing how to do this....Any Help????
Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Axxera radio removal

It takes two shim like objects that slide in the sides to release the radio. I found the tools in a plastic bag in a kitchen drawer. I posted a photograph them on here once. I will try and find it for you.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcopenhaver2@tampabay.rr. View Post
Im trying to find out the same info and from what i understand you have to pull the dash out as there are 4 screw holding the radio in!Junk and nothings simple!I cant find any videos or PDF,s describing how to do this....Any Help????
It is a double din radio; all come out of the dash the same way.
<
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #10

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Here is a photo (I Hope)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA3492C8-7A65-4020-BD53-09549871DBC7.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	15019  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:00 AM   #11

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
I don't think it supports RV parameters for the GPS correct? The only one I've found is a Kenwood that supports the three cameras, RV gps, sirius etc. waiting for it to become available. Unless it does
Old 01-11-2019, 02:01 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
I don't think it supports RV parameters for the GPS correct? The only one I've found is a Kenwood that supports the three cameras, RV gps, sirius etc. waiting for it to become available. Unless it does
On our VEGAS the cameras are handled by a separate switch box with one lead to the AXXERA.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 AM   #13

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
THOR #7010
I’ve had DVD play issues that were solved by a reset. The reset hole is on the left bottom corner of the radio face.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #12361
Axxera Radio

I have a 2018 Thor Outlaw with the Axxera AC615bhm radio and it is a NIGHTMARE to get out as you have to pop out the front of the dash to get at the 8 screws holding in the radio!Thor sent me a replacement radio as mine auto muted and turned off by itself so anyway i had a AVM70 and they sent me a AVM80 and almost everything went back together except a white plug from the RV with a 2 plug prong..Yello and a Grey wire didnt plug into the 3 prong white plug from the new radio with a yellow a red and red and black wire.Im stuck....any advice?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #15

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcopenhaver2@tampabay.rr. View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Outlaw with the Axxera AC615bhm radio and it is a NIGHTMARE to get out as you have to pop out the front of the dash to get at the 8 screws holding in the radio!Thor sent me a replacement radio as mine auto muted and turned off by itself so anyway i had a AVM70 and they sent me a AVM80 and almost everything went back together except a white plug from the RV with a 2 plug prong..Yello and a Grey wire didnt plug into the 3 prong white plug from the new radio with a yellow a red and red and black wire.Im stuck....any advice?

Get both manuals (available online with a google search)- they have the install schematics. It looks like the subwoofer and camera input switched from a pigtail to an input directly on the back of the AVM80. Here’s a pic from my 615 manual. Hopefully you remember what plug went where on the old one so you know what the ‘rv’ wires functions are- it’s the function that matters, and you should have a 1:1 match on that. Colors on wires coming from the RV can change with the wind and switch mid-stream with extensions. My cameras go through an RVS501N switcher, so a manual for that + the 615 is how I figured out how mine was put together. You should be able to find out what camera switcher you have by logging into Thor owner documents and your VIN.

Good luck. Folks say the Axxera are horrible, but I don’t agree. I’ve found them to be temperamental, but not ‘oh my god throw it out’ bad. Maybe that opinion will evolve over time. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	15074
Old 01-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #16

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post

Good luck. Folks say the Axxera are horrible, but I don’t agree. I’ve found them to be temperamental, but not ‘oh my god throw it out’ bad. Maybe that opinion will evolve over time. Attachment 15074
I called them about my radio and their top of the line was $139. I think that speaks volumes.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #17

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
I called them about my radio and their top of the line was $139. I think that speaks volumes.

It would, unless you are using the directional. Then it doesn’t speak at all. Ha ha.

You have to admit, it’s an impressive feature set for the money; but I agree with the sentiment: no feature is worth it if it doesn’t actually work.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #18

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
We had problems with the cameras shutting off, for no reason. I banged on the dash once in frustration, the cameras came back on. So I thought a loose connection might be the problem. I pulled the Dash Cover off (4 screws) and found the camera switch box just laying on top of a bundle of wires. I checked all connections, then secured the switch box to a wood support with sticky back Velcro. No problems since !Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180908_104630.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	15087Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180908_104716.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	15088Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180908_104736.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	15089