Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Virginia
THOR #21446
Thor Windsport Question

Hello All,

Wife and I are looking at a 2016 Windsport 29M class A on Tuesday. Can anyone give me advice good or bad on this unit?

Appreciate your time in helping me as I've never owned an RV before.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I don't have any answers for you...
But I'd still like to welcome you to the Forum, and wish you the best of luck during your search.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakist View Post
Hello All,

Wife and I are looking at a 2016 Windsport 29M class A on Tuesday. Can anyone give me advice good or bad on this unit?

Thanks in advance.
The 29M and 35C are the most popular coaches in the Windsport/Hurricane line. Those models comprise over 70% of the Windport/Hurricane coaches sold in 2016. Of plant 750 coach line (Freedom traveler, ACE, Hurricane, Winsport) Windsport and Hurricane represent 20% of the total production. Coaches built before September will be 5-speed and after September the will be 6 speed transmissions (look for a 4 on the transmission selector as an indication of a 6 speed transmission). The coach has LED lights inside and LED brake lights. That said it is on the short (190") wheelbase and has a 18,000 GVWR, so with an outside kitchen, what you can carry is limited as is the total basement storage volume. I have one size Hurricane up built in November 2015. The coach has been nearly trouble free. My only regret is I did not wait for a coach built in 2016 with a 50 amp power center.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:40 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I have a Hurricane 29M. We bought it new in 2018 and once we updated the curtains, fixed all of the crappy workmanship, improved the ride with sumo spring and CHF, it has been trouble free. It drives like a WWII 10 ton truck, but has never broken down. The only failures have been the awning lights and omni directional antenna. My coach batteries are toast after 2 years, but that's probably the dealers fault. It doesn't have an outside kitchen, it has a mini sink
and dorm room fridge. Good for beer storage and washing your hands, but nothing else. If you have specific questions, just ask and I'll give you my two cents worth.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:49 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Get a Thor vegas
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
I looked at one before buying the 27B. Liked that you could use the bed with slide in, not a big fan of outdoor kitchen, do not recall if it's standard but make sure to get 2 ac's which means 50amp & larger generator.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
If I am correct that is a full wall slide....
check the slide rails for any marring...also check the underside of the slide roller guides for any nicks or marring marks...
level in it and run the slide in and out and make sure there are no loud grinding or clunking...

Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Look also at the very similar and comparably priced Winnebago 29VE.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #9

THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Look also at the very similar and comparably priced Winnebago 29VE.
Good idea, Winnebago and Fleetwood both offer a very similar floorplan. You may get a better price from one of the others and still have the same thing.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

State: Virginia
THOR #21446
Thank You All

Excellent points. Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are scheduled to look at the unit today.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 35 M
THOR #6832
We have the 35 m

So glad we upgraded from the ace. Very happy with it.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Excellent points. Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are scheduled to look at the unit today.
And what happened?
Old 12-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #13

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
We like ours...

Quote:
We have the 2017 model with the 50 amp setup -- we have thoroughly enjoyed ours and wished we used it more. If you tend to travel in hot areas during the summer months, and plan to camp with full hookups, having the 2 a/c units is a blessing. The only downside that we've experienced is when we're boondocking -- you have no cross-ventilation in the bedroom. (Do NOT open the rear window unless it's an emergency! It supposedly falls to the ground.)

We have the "outdoor kitchen" and have grown to like it. Good place to store all of the bbq clutter and, when you have hookups, the small fridge comes in handy.

There are many things you may want to do to the unit if you pull the trigger -- but some things may have already been done by the original owner. Ask about any modifications to the handling or suspension (I realize you may have already gone to make your decision before reading this, but you may still have contact with the previous owner.) If you end up getting it, make sure to visit the "Jerry's Hurricane mods" thread. A lot of good people on there.

Most importantly, whatever you decide to get, don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers! ...and safe travels!

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 32n
State: Ohio
THOR #19223
Our 2015 32n has the outside kitchen. We keep our air fryer there, and have the propane hookup right below for an outdoor gas grill or griddle. Outdoor fridge is great for extra soda, water and beer to share with neighbors.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
We have a 2020 29m and love it.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

THOR #20010
We Have a 2020 29M

We purchased a 2020 29M. The list of fixes is up to 20. The workmanship and poor quality of the components were the main issues. You might be OK with the 2016 as the repairs should have been made. This was our first RV and it was a big mistake buying new. Don't get the unit with theatre seating, it is crap. The leg rests don't lock in the up position and Thor says that is normal. The monitor for GPS, radio etc. is too dim on our unit and it was replaced once. In any case, you will want to get another GPS because the installed one doesn't recognize enough POIs and has trouble with street names.

I would rate Thor's customer support as a B. I have used their phone support five times and four of those were helpful. Be sure it has 50 amp and two A/C if you want to travel in the Summer. When it is 100+ degrees, the two A/C's can barely keep it tolerable and with one A/C you will always regret not getting two. The outside kitchen is useful for just the frig. I've never used the sink.

We recently had a problem where the full-wall slide cut the flooring. It is in the shop for that now. We do love the full-wall slide and the ability to get to everything except the drawers in the bedroom when it is closed.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #17

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
Had the 2019 29M Windsport/Hurricane been a foot shorter, or had the ladder on the left side (driver side) I would have bought one, I found two that were pristine at MHSRV and at almost freebie prices way before this covid stuff.

As it was; I tried to go with a 2019 27B Windsport / Hurricane and I never could find a unit that passed my PDI inspections. Most of issues IMO were defects that occurred after the Mfg from Thor. We really wanted outdoor kitchen, and did not like the flip up bed anyway; so it was easier to walk away from 27B,

We moved on and a brand new 2019 Winnebago 29VE fell in our lap. It fits perfect in our expanded drive that we built between our garage and rear alley. Lot of folks gave me "what for" for eliminating a perfectly good RV for being inches too long, but this picture may help to explain why. The RV is backed up to a inch or so from eave on roof on side of garage

FWIW, I love my Winnebago and very very happy the way it ended up. In our case Winnebago, and both RV Dealers (La Mesa Port St Lucie FL / McClains RV Rockwall, TX we worked with have done everything to perfection.

Whatever you decide, #1 do not over pay. research research, #2 Thoroughly inspect, do you own pre PDI don't wait to buy to check things. Check EVERYTHING and build that list. How the dealer reacts should determine if you move forward or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_152853.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	27619  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
We have a 2018 Windsport 29m and we LOVE IT!!! It's just the two of us so it has plenty of room. You can get in every park on earth cause it's under 30' and it gets about 10 mpg on flat roads at 63 mph. We swapped the sofa which is awful for two side by side power recliners, converted the gas/elec fridge to a 12v system from JC Refridgeration in Indiana and lots of other mods. Added Sumo springs in the front, Road-Master anti sway bar in the rear and 4 new Bilstein shocks, ceramic window tinting, new Aqua-Jet variable speed water pump, new mattress and other stuff. If a qualified RV dealer goes thru it and everything checks out you will enjoy it!!! Bob & Wendy Trice
Old 12-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #19

THOR #12125
2016 Hurricane 29M for us. Great floorplan.

Heater ducting/routing creates extremely uneven heating. Gets smoking hot in the bedroom while very little heat comes out the other vents in the rest of the coach.

Ditto on the 50amp and dual A/C units, you want this.

IDK if this is model specific, specific to my unit or specific to my practices, but our potti gets some bad smells after only 1-2 days of use. I've never had trouble like this with my other RV's, I figure it has something to do with the routing into the black tank and the design of the black tank.

Had a fair amount of mostly minor problems, probably less to do with the specific model and more to do with the day it was assembled and the people on the line that day

- water line to kitchen sink not tight, leaking
- bathroom sink cracked at drain due to mis-aligned drain
- shower drain pluming developed leak due to constant flexing of the shower floor around the drain (Thor said this is the way it is, I say bad design)
- slide operation pulled apart the wiring connection on the hot water heater
- heater circuit board went bad
- wiring harness in rear wheel-well was not routed/secured properly, wore through from rubbing on rear tire
- kitchen counter top not secured to wall properly, was pulling away from the wall up at the top
- toilet
Old 12-14-2020, 10:43 PM   #20

THOR #11781
Hey knucklehead, tell me what you are doing to get 10 mpg out of your 29M. I tow a CR-V with mine and barely get 6 mpg going downhill with a tailwind in neutral.