Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
What physically makes a "Touring Coach"?

The term "Touring Coach" seems to come up most often to describe a model optimized for road travel. I've seen it on some Class B advertisements (although it doesn't appear limited to Class Bs) describing the particular model as agile, versatile, fuel efficient, affordable, comfortable, easy to drive, etc.

Any thoughts on what physical differences there might be, other than implied smaller size?

For example, if Thor hypothetically offered a Touring Package on an Axis, what would be different, if anything? In other words, is "Touring Coach" mostly a marketing term, or does it represent tangible differences?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I don't think there is a specific category or set of specs that defines "touring coach" other than something small enough to "tour" (e.g. easily maneuverable, fits in standard parking spots, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Thanks Jamie. So the term is mostly gibberish.

Assuming their design is biased more towards road travel than camping, I don't see much difference in equipment or layout compared to other similar motorhomes.

Example from Airstream:

"Updated with entirely new floorplans available in 2016, the Interstate line of touring coaches has never offered so many options for elegant, comfortable road travel."

Or from Winnebago for ERA and Travato:

"These stylish Touring Coach motorhomes offer all the versatile comforts of home in our most agile ride. Featuring impressive fuel efficiency, it’s hard to beat this level of style at such a pleasant price."

I've also seen some Class B+ up to 30-ft use the Touring label, so it must not be entirely size limited. Or price dependent since Airstream Interstate can be twice as expensive as a Winnebago Travato.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I suspect its purely marketing speak, just like Thor's invention of the "RUV" category for Axis/Vegas.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
...I suspect its purely marketing speak,...
No, no, no! That cannot be! The Trillion dollar/year advertising/marketing industry and all the financial think tanks in Washington DC are at stake with that kinda thinking.

You must accept that "touring" means special and worth many extra dollars, resistance is futile. You will come around.

As a wee lad, I once owned a "touring" Nishiki Olympic 10-speed bicycle. The bike shop owner said it was the least expensive Nishiki bike in the shop, with a heavy frame, heavy components, and you could add saddle bags and go "touring"! I asked why the more expensive bikes did not say "touring" on them or the brochure. He said that those that know what they are doing, will know which bike they want to actually go "touring" on, (the most expensive lightest models).
Old 02-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Exactly. Or claims they were first to build Class A on E-Series chassis when clearly they were not.

I personally don't see much difference either in the "Utility" of the RUV lines compared to other RVs of similar size. It's not like they are building in a huge Mega-Storage compartment for motorcycles or other toys. Not even scooters or bikes. So where is the utility?

I'd guess it was to play on SUV label that sounds less stodgy than a minivan (the dull version being a compact RV).

In any case I'm going to avoid the "touring coach" label when talking with dealers for fear they will only think of Class Bs.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is the RUV useful to its owners, if so it is a utility vehicle - utility defined

My Challenger allows me to tour the country, touring defined and it is an RUV because it is useful to me as a vehicle for recreation

Sitting at an airport waiting on flights with too much time on my hands.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Is the RUV useful to its owners, if so it is a utility vehicle - utility defined

My Challenger allows me to tour the country, touring defined and it is an RUV because it is useful to me as a vehicle for recreation

Sitting at an airport waiting on flights with too much time on my hands.
So your Challenger is a Touring Recreational Utility Vehicle to you, or a TRUV.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

THOR #2121
It does raise the question that if someone wanted to spec a Touring version of an Axis RUV, what would you change? What, if anything, would make it better for road travel?

For me the floorplans without front slides are a step in that direction because it opens up the area where one travels going down the road. I'd also want additional front-facing comfortable seats with shoulder harnesses. Little things like that that would make cruising with more than two people in RV more car-like.