Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Just back from a 5400 miles trip and a few comments

Well folks, just back from our cross country trip from NY across the top of the U.S., down into New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and back up into Missouri and then back to NY. Now we did this in a Thor 22 Freedom Elite, had a great time, easy to park, maueuver and had absolutely no problems with any of the systems in the coach end of it. Our single coach battery lasted throughout the day and night with a half hour generator charge in the morning and one in the evening. Of course we only ran the refrigerator and use battery operated lights for the evenings. Our toilet flushed, the tanks drained, had no leaks or noises and everything seemed to work as it should. We averaged between 9 and 10 miles per gallon of fuel. On our way out west we were lucky enough to take a tour of the Thor Class C factory in Elkhart, Indiana. It was an eye opener and well worth the time we spent there. They're factory is unbelievable and the workers are highly skilled in assembling these motorhomes. I know you're gonna laugh at that but we were very impressed and I am a perfectionist in real life. The workers are paid on a piece rate system not by the hour, so when a warranty issue arises after the unit is sold, the vin number is tracked back to who worked on it and they are docked what they were paid for the built. They take great care in assembling these units. The workers we talked to told us they were paid a fair wage and were happy, they were not rushing to complete they're section of the build, they have plenty of time to accomplish they're end before moving on to the next unit. So when you do have a warranty issue, and we all will at times, it's probably the part supplier who has the defective part and not necessarily Thor who installed it, not every part is checked out for reliability constantly. So, would I buy another Thor motorhome, I definitely would. I feel I got a very good quality motorhome for what I paid.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #5260
I'm curious, did you tow a car? If not, how did you get around siteseeing? Does your mattress split in two pieces?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Nope didn't tow a car, the 22FE is parkable on the street and in normal parking lots. Most places we went to had a shuttle service into the parks and into town for free. Our mattress is one piece Queen size.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We had a FourWinds 22E for one year and 16000 miles. We loved it and had no major problems. Just not quite big enough. 10 months with the Axis and still getting things worked out.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
my coach had screws in the lamp covers, they used the wrong fasteners on many things, a monkey could have done better work. Maybe things have changed over 2 years... I have my doubts. I am still finding stuff wrong..my 2 year old coach has weird rusty stuff coming from under the paint scheme.. and the extra $700 clear coat finish has issues, as well as stress cracks in the fiberglass in the front nose area. I am out of warranty so will take it on the chin when I sell. Thor really use bad materials.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #7453
I also have a 22FE. One question: if your mattress doesn't fold, how does your slide out close? I'm looking to add a mattress pad, the stock mattress isn't very comfortable. I tow a Fiat and got 8.0 to 8.5 mpgs.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #8

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
i also have a 22fe and my mattress does fold. tried mattress topper for a year and a half. finally just ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Price-Ma...70_&dpSrc=srch

i will just fold it in half when i have to pull the slide in.
patrick

p.s. i do agree. i love my 22fe and great to drive and park.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
i also have a 22fe and my mattress does fold. tried mattress topper for a year and a half. finally just ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Price-Ma...70_&dpSrc=srch

i will just fold it in half when i have to pull the slide in.
patrick

p.s. i do agree. i love my 22fe and great to drive and park.
Not a 22FE but our Axis 25.2 Denver mattress folds. We love it. It is much more comfortable than the expensive air bed in our bedroom at home.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #7453
That's a good idea. I didn't think a mattress like that would fold in half. I'm going to try my foam pad first to see if that helps. BTW, I also love my 22 FE, so much better than my Class A was.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Great write up on your experience. Always glad to hear from other happy camper!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Living in the area and knowing individuals who work there it's funny how different real life in the factory is from tour day at the factory! Glad your unit performed well for you.

My unit must have been subcontracted to another facility because none of what you say seems to apply to whoever built my coach.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Great write up on your experience. Always glad to hear from other happy camper!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Great report. We did a similar trip this summer in our 26 ft 2017 Freedom Elite. A bit shorter for starting and ending in Indiana but we also had a wonderful time with no significant problems of any sort. I’m truly sorry so many people have problems with their machines but I’m convinced there are many more who are generally pretty happy. Keep having fun out there!