Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I just went to home depot bought 4' of 1/8' stainless steel cable and ends. I snaked the wire thru the catalytic converter holes and around my frame. Then hit with a hammer the lead ends.

This certainly will slow someone down cutting the muffler off or may just be snagged onto the converter as they take it off, to let em drop it and run....

12 dollar fix to a multi hundred dollar loss....
IMHO (both as a retired police detective / ASE certified automotive mechanic), it is better to weld (or apply hi-temp epoxy to) a heavy duty chain (3/8 perhaps) to and from the cat along the top portion of the tubing (to make it harder to fit a sawzall).

Personally, I use this 1/2 mile range portable, solar charged motion setup in my RV port. 1 on each side (even 1 under the RV if wanted) the RV port and I'm golden.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This has (unfortunately) been reported on many times in here.
RVs sit high enough; to make the job easy for the criminals...
There are several different types of anti-theft guards that can be used to combat this. If you live in an area that is prone to this sort of thing: you may want to consider using them.

Hello Bob, hope you are doing well.
Do you have any examples of good anti-theft devices ? I have seen a few of homemade ones, and some not really well built.

YG
Old 08-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Iowa
THOR #9607
Catalytic Converter Guard

I recently had a “cage” installed for $400.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99AC164F-BC39-411F-91B1-0C1EC970208C.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	33081  
Old 08-26-2021, 01:47 AM   #24

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Won't work. They have cordless angle grinder / cutters which can cut your stainless chords in about1 to five seconds and a lot quieter than the cutting they did on the pipes. Our world has gone to hell and it's not going to get better. The poster that said they had to go to the police department to get a sales permit for that item is the only way. But what the hell, they're crooked too. Where there is easy money there are always lazy low lifes that can put it to us.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:01 AM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Iowa
THOR #9607
Oh, so don’t do anything, they will get it anyway? Average time under the car is said to be 1-3 minutes. So if they going the cables, then they will all so need a sawzall too. These guys won’t spend that much time. It’s a good deterrent.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:07 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbird1 View Post
I recently had a “cage” installed for $400.
It looks like a very good install and a very good price; if it includes parts and labor. I prefer taking some action to try to do something than helplessly doing nothing. I painted mine. The way my coach is made unless they gonna run 7 ft long wiring up & down; I don't see how the paint / cage even slows them down, maybe another 40 secs for cage. It is just like having to leave your golf clubs in a SUV every night. If someone wants them they just got to break glass and go get them.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:54 AM   #27

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #19026
Won't work. They have cordless angle grinder / cutters which can cut your stainless chords in about 1 to five seconds and a lot quieter than the cutting they did on the pipes. Our world has gone to hell and it's not going to get better. The poster that said they had to go to the police department to get a sales permit for that item is the only way. But what the hell, they're crooked too. Where there is easy money there are always to put it to us and they definitely will.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:34 AM   #28

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #16788
We had our's stolen 2 months ago, parked in front of our house the night before a camping trip. Police said they average a couple a week from our small community. I considered some ways to protect the catalytic converter in the future, but the insurance rep said that when people have reported thefts of converters that have been reinforced, the monetary damages incurred are much higher, i.e., the thieves are vindictive as hell and will even cut the frame.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #29

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Midas the muffler company in Fresno ca. Is etching the vehicle license number to the muffler at all there shops for free.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Paint

I saw on TV a local police Dept was painted their initials on Cats for free.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy737 View Post
We had our's stolen 2 months ago, parked in front of our house the night before a camping trip. Police said they average a couple a week from our small community. I considered some ways to protect the catalytic converter in the future, but the insurance rep said that when people have reported thefts of converters that have been reinforced, the monetary damages incurred are much higher, i.e., the thieves are vindictive as hell and will even cut the frame.
There can be nothing worse than a vindictive thief with no principles or morals. There should be laws that make it a crime for a thief to steal a catalytic converter unless it is stolen professionally and without any unreasonable damage

All kidding aside, your post does make me pause on buying those cable to re-enforce or delay the theft. I have painted, added VIN number, my next step is some type of alarm that is motion detected if under the RV. I worry the sensor may pick up too much and go off unnecessarily if someone walks by, maybe a cat or similar runs underneath it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #32

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #16788
I opted for the last solution...have a motion detector found on Amazon that I place underneath the RV when parked in front of our house....125 db siren when motion detected. Cars driving by don't set it off, but sweeping your foot underneath the RV does activate the alarm. It has a remote control for arming which works from even within the RV. The unit is plastic and don't think it will last long if permanently installed so I remove it (2 screws to install on a horizontal surface) when driving. Only use it when parked in front of our home. It was about $30...lots cheaper than the $500 insurance deductible from the theft of our converter this summer.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #33

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Maybe classify catalytic converter theft as a "hate crime"... then you'll get the feel-good politicians interested in doing something about it.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:35 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy737 View Post
I opted for the last solution...have a motion detector found on Amazon that I place underneath the RV when parked in front of our house....125 db siren when motion detected. Cars driving by don't set it off, but sweeping your foot underneath the RV does activate the alarm. It has a remote control for arming which works from even within the RV. The unit is plastic and don't think it will last long if permanently installed so I remove it (2 screws to install on a horizontal surface) when driving. Only use it when parked in front of our home. It was about $30...lots cheaper than the $500 insurance deductible from the theft of our converter this summer.
Please provide links to the product
Old 08-31-2021, 09:36 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Maybe classify catalytic converter theft as a "hate crime"... then you'll get the feel-good politicians interested in doing something about it.
Yes Exactly!!!! Because I know I would Hate it if my were stolen.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:18 AM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Open season on the thieves with a 2500.00 DOA reward.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:09 AM   #37

THOR #13058
My Rustoleum Red 2000F paint after 3 weeks. It is almost fully orange now.

I got trip coming this weekend so it will be interesting what it looks like next week.

I do want to get a siren with motion detector but I want to but one that works and will not have too many false alarms because I will have it at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210829_185644.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	33239  
Old 09-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #38

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
So i have started locking my THOR 50 AMP cable also. There is a tremendous amount of copper in the cable and can easily be removed and walked away with. You can buy a simple bike lock from Walmart and string it through one of the three holes in the 50 AMP plug.

Folks, this cable alone cost over $300 to replace. So, you off watching your favorite NASCAR race and when you get back, both your Catalytic Converter and 50 Amp cable have been stolen.

Unfortunately those bike locks are useless You can cut them easily. I have done extensive research on bike locks since I just purchased a $3,000.00 electric bike. The lock to get is the one that has a cable with alarm and bluetooth to your phone so if someone moves the lock or cuts the cable and alarm goes off as well as alerts you on your phone.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
Unfortunately those bike locks are useless You can cut them easily. I have done extensive research on bike locks since I just purchased a $3,000.00 electric bike. The lock to get is the one that has a cable with alarm and bluetooth to your phone so if someone moves the lock or cuts the cable and alarm goes off as well as alerts you on your phone.
Pictures? How much?
Old 09-02-2021, 12:19 AM   #40

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Toying with designing a motion sensor powered off the 12volt system... VERY low (milliamps) current draw. Would be a very small self contained waterproof box mounted under the rig... only tripped by motion under the motorhome.

Wired directly to the battery with a small on/off toggle switch able to be mounted inside the door.

Would work off your home Wifi, so MH would need to be parked within range... basically a device which connects to your WiFi just like a phone.

When tripped, the device would immediately send you a text and/or email. Possibly option would be a screaming alarm - which could be disabled??

Shotgun or 30.30 not included...