Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2021, 01:30 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have a couple ideas. A wrap around system so you can not get under or "nail bed" under secured by jacks.. Anyone want to start a company?

Old 09-21-2021, 03:56 AM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I have a couple ideas. A wrap around system so you can not get under or "nail bed" under secured by jacks.. Anyone want to start a company?
Needs to be portable and lightweight. Must not hurt or injure that thief. Must be a safe method as to not interfere with the thief's civil liberties and right to steal
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #63

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Needs to be portable and lightweight. Must not hurt or injure that thief. Must be a safe method as to not interfere with the thief's civil liberties and right to steal
How about a well illuminated warning sign... "Protected by Skunk Spray". Who knows if it actually is? Who wants to find out? Hmmmm... I know if our pup could read... he'd shy away (from experience)!

Any pro will tell you that DETERRENT BEFORE THE FACT is always best. Once the would-be thief has damaged your vehicle, it's too late.

And best not to "piss off the thief"... they just MAY get even. MUCH easier to scare them away beforehand. I know there's an inside voice telling you to grab the 12 gauge... but in today's world resist that urge, invest time in an effective deterrent, and let it go.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #64

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
How about a well illuminated warning sign... "Protected by Skunk Spray". Who knows if it actually is? Who wants to find out?

Any pro will tell you that DETERRENT BEFORE THE FACT is always best. Once the would-be thief has damaged your vehicle, it's too late.

And best not to "piss off the thief"... they just MAY get even. MUCH easier to scare them away beforehand. I know there's an inside voice telling you to grab the 12 gauge... but in today's world resist that urge, invest time in an effective deterrent, and let it go.
This sounds like "Intimidation" and possibly "Discrimination"? What if the Thief can't read? If he get peppered with Skunk Spray because he could not read the sign... you are showing favoritism to the more educated Thieves. And if the Thief can read the mental intimidation / threat that they may get peppered with Skunk Spray while trying to steal a Catalytic Converter could be stressful on the thief.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just go out to a salvage yard and buy a used Catalytic Converter and store it underneath the RV with Milk & Cookies along with a note to take this one as it is already disassembled?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:53 AM   #65

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I vote for the "non-discriminatory" 12 gauge. Especially if in certain parts of West Virginia... never find them. Heard that from a friend...
Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #66

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Or you could just buy a spare converter to keep for if/when you need it. If yours is stolen your insurance should pay for it and you’ll be delayed hardly at all.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:23 AM   #67
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
SkyGuy mentioned a PIR alarm. I remembered this thread when I came across the below video. This guy may have the right idea, especially for RV use:

He's in Canada and the sensors survived the winter under his car.

The Alarm/Horn is 12 VDC powered, the sensors are 9 VDC powered but would probably work from 12 VDC, maybe 14.5 VDC? At an Amazon Prime price of $54 delivered I'm willing to take the gamble. You can use a smartphone to help aim the sensors.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:03 PM   #68

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Converter Cable

Converter Cable.

I have installed a Stainless Steel cable around my converter and the frame. This is an inexpensive fix and might slow down the removal of my converter. You would have to come with a pretty big pair of cable cutters to cut this all out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter Cable.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	34680  
Old 12-18-2021, 04:00 AM   #69

State: Minnesota
THOR #25584
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
Unfortunately those bike locks are useless You can cut them easily. I have done extensive research on bike locks since I just purchased a $3,000.00 electric bike. The lock to get is the one that has a cable with alarm and bluetooth to your phone so if someone moves the lock or cuts the cable and alarm goes off as well as alerts you on your phone.
Bluetooth distance is only good for about 20-30 ft.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #70

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Thieves steal 94 catalytic converters from Elkhart RV plant

https://wsbt.com/news/local/elkhart-...r-the-holidays
Old 01-05-2022, 05:47 PM   #71
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Thieves steal 94 catalytic converters from Elkhart RV plant

https://wsbt.com/news/local/elkhart-...r-the-holidays
Looks like a boon for muffler shops in Elkhart.

Think Forest River was too cheap for video surveillance? Obviously too cheap for roving guards.

I'm thinking the MSRP of FR MHs just went up by $3K.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #72

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
yeap price will go up $3k and story will get hushed so that forks continue to buy!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:09 PM   #73
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So if I buy a new Forest River RV: does this mean that I can put leaded gas in it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #74

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If we let this theft continue to be minimally if at all prosecuted, then what is next, your generator?

Time to change things up a bit

I do have alarms and cameras but sure hope they are just there and not part of a crime scene.

Both areas we spend quite a bit of time in have neighborhood watch's and hopefully that helps.

Just today however the UPS guy had to have a signature as someone in the neighborhood claimed they had several high dollar packages stolen. The packages were photographed on their porch when delivered and they called them in stolen less than 1/2 hour later so you have to wonder. No other issues in the area for months

I do keep my F150 alarm enabled when it has to sit outside occaisionally and if we are useing it as the towed
Old 03-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #75

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
While parked in the storage lot my Windsport and three other Gas RVs next to me had their Catalytic converters cut out a couple of days ago. The storage lot owner has camera footage of them going over the fence, but its not enough for the police to work with and the damage is done. So... I pay my $500 deductible and I hope I don't have to wait very long to get the part.

A couple more slots down from me is a beautiful big diesel pusher. I don't think they got the cat out of it because the whole body was VERY close to the ground... the body was way down on the wheels, only 3 inches off the ground. I figure it must have air suspension and the owner let it go down all the way for storage. This made it impossible to get under.

I like that. The thief takes a glance and walks to the next RV. He doesn't have to get under it only to find some kind of @#&*#&! obstacle that pisses him off. Switching to an air system is way too much $$$$ of course, but I'm thinking of something like an attached skirt/fence that would swing up next to the frame while driving and then down to lock in place while parked. If there was only 3" between it and the ground I think that would be low enough that the BG might just walk to an easier job. I've got a lot of tube steel laying around and a welder. I'm not too concerned about the BG wanting to snake in under the axels... it's a long crawl and I sure don't like doing it. A good attachment and solid means of both hinging and locking are what I'm noodling on.

What do you think? Any ideas? Of course, if I do it I'll post pictures.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:20 AM   #76

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Lock everything ! Double lock doors.
Park at your house a friend's.
With prices out of control & police thinking we are rich..it will get worse!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:21 AM   #77

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Roger that.
1) I lock everything including the 50 AMP power cable to the post, that alone is a few hundred dollars.
2) Ensure all compartments are locked
3) Ensure the main door is double locked.

A few months back i snaked a stainless steel cable in and around the converter to deter the assailant from cutting off my converter in 30 secs and making off with it. The cable should slow him down and a reciprocating saw blade might not cut cable as easily as a steel tube.

A) I will add additional cable, paint the converter fluorescent orange and engrave the VIN into the side of the converter.

From what it sounds like. we are on our own. If i can find my converter on the ground in the morning due to a tether denying a thief his $100 score, I would gladly go to my welding shop and have it rewelded on.

Happy Camping...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-25_6-50-46.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	36431  
Old 03-12-2022, 04:36 AM   #78

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Inside garage storage with simple safe camera. We live close enough to beat the LE and my favorite Remington 1100(carried in military) and wife's Browning A5 will keep them relaxed until LE arrive. I do like the idea of letting the air out of the bags too.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #79

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Inside garage storage with simple safe camera. We live close enough to beat the LE and my favorite Remington 1100(carried in military) and wife's Browning A5 will keep them relaxed until LE arrive. I do like the idea of letting the air out of the bags too.
Me as well. My driveway. My cameras. My Mossberg 88.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #80
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
In New York the scrap yard scans your license, or photo copies it.
The places that buy gold also do the same, but also have to take pics of the gold and upload the pics to police database.

I am sure the thieves have also found ways around this though.
And we all know scrap yards follow the law.