Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2022, 01:40 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
these postings are eye opening, i would have never known the theft rate was so pronounced. I have notified everyone in my RV club that I belong to. Our security makes multiple trips an hr, just patrolling up and down the aisles. We members are constantly monitoring the RV park now, and you need a pass code card to enter and exit. This is our first defense!

Old 03-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #102

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
I'll be getting a replacement installed. One shop was telling me NOT to replace with an OEM Ford Catalytic Converter because it brings a better price than aftermarket 'Universal' pieces. He said that when they look under see 'Ford' it's like a diamond shining back.

OK. But my drive train is still under Ford warranty. I don't want to screw that up. So I'll just put the sexy Ford piece in again and then paint etc, try to fortify.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #103

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
5 Ways to Prevent Catalytic Converter Theft

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/l...verter-thieves

Insurance giant State Farm says it handled three times as many catalytic converter theft claims in 2021 as it did in 2020 — and more than 10 times as many as in 2019.

A replacement for a stolen catalytic converter can cost as much as $3,000 for the often-targeted Toyota Prius, says Colby Sandman, owner of Muffler Tech in Sacramento, California, who saw an uptick in thefts as the lockdowns took hold. Now, his shop replaces 15 to 20 stolen catalytic converters each day.
You know if you go into the numbers even deeper, you can draw a conclusion that may have no material weight; but could be relevant in your gut feelings.

i.e. The fact that we are approaching 3,000 thefts per month and no law enforcement agency, NICB, or insurance company is saying that painting a Cat Yellow or Orange is a complete waste of time is telling. As I stated earlier, I am sure some painted ones are stolen, but it is not like they reporting that we see just as any painted stolen or non painted stolen or some % of what may be expected (believed to be) to be painted equivalent to the some % of actual painted ones reported stolen.

By contrast, my insurance company Progressive, or at least the person I talked to on the phone that day, did tell me that some of the mechanical devices to deter are not preferred. I was told that the thieves tend to get annoyed and do more damage removing or trying to remove. The average claim to replace / repair when mechanical theft is used is higher than when nothing was used at all paint not withstanding.

With the above said, if every one were to go out and get theirs painted tonight, it would be interesting to see what happens. My guess is that some are still stolen but overall rate may drop to say 50%?

My 3 1/2 cents worth anyway
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #104

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It certainly can’t hurt to paint it and it sure is cheap enough. But since stealing it already is illegal and a painted one is not traceable even if the police catch the BG with it I can’t see that it offers much disincentive for the thief. I have a LEO friend that said he’s seen thieves wave at security cameras as they carry out converters and if cameras don’t dissuade them….. He also advised not to try to mechanically protect one for the reasons posted above. Said he’s seen wiring harnesses, brake lines and even frames cut by annoyed BGs. And someone on another thread here posted that they had an oil pan punctured. I was persuaded and have a NIB Catstrap I’ll sell at a discount if anyone wants it.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #105

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I remember the first wave of thefts in the Springfield area back in 2016. Then they moved to cargo trailers and when the easy picking was finished went back to converters. After that they started hitting storage units and we had a large one hit with power tools taken.

After the storage business ramped up their fence security then back to converters and unlocked cars.

Long story short they are still steeling converters 7 years later and no end in sight.

This seems ridiculous and makes you wonder what it will be next EV batteries? I know they have already stolen some but not like the converters. I am surprised they haven't hit the lithium batteries in RV's actually but not a large percentage yet.

Last gas shortage/hike they were drilling holes in fuel tanks, filling a can and letting the rest run on the ground.

Seems we have a societal problem that is ramping up the cost of ownership for RV's.