Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2021, 11:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #23965
key lock replacement

Hello oh this is me my first post here in the forums and I have an issue. I am the owner of a 1994 Thor Columbus 325, and I have lost my one and only ignition key. Does anyone know what hearing column is in my coach I believe it's a general motors. I am looking to replace the key lock complete with new key and Tumblr so that I can actually start my Thor motor Coach. If anyone can add some light on this situation I am all ears I'm hoping someone out there knows what steering column I have and how to replace the key lock which I have a good idea by pulling a steering wheel off how to replace the key lock just don't know if it's got the lock safe mechanism on it or if I can just replace it with any key lock that's a general motors or if it's not a general motors please fill me in there too. I will thank you in advance for any support that you have to offer signed my feet are sore from walking LOL

Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum.
Have a CM dealer take a look at it...
Good luck!
Old 06-26-2021, 11:42 PM   #3

THOR #23965
Thank you Bob , I appreciate the input. I had considered doing that but it sounds expensive to me. I'm hoping that I can find the needed info from the community that will allow me to do it myself, or at the very least, make an educated decision on what to do . None the less I truly appreciate you taking the time to lend a hand
Old 06-26-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Without a code for the right key: you're pretty much stuck with changing the ignition switch and door locks...
Sorry!
Old 06-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Good luck.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:23 AM   #6

THOR #23965
Thanks for that, I didn't think it would be as simple as I hoped. Moving forward, what should I take to the dealership and what dealership should I take it to??? It's a thor motorcoach. Would I go to a GM dealership or try to find a THOR dealership??
Old 06-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it's got a GM ignition switch in it: I'd try a dealershiip that sells heavy-duty Chevy trucks.
They might be able to look up the V.I.N., and find more info for you.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:48 AM   #8

THOR #23965
You've been most helpful Bob, thanks for the reply. I guess I'm off to find a dealership....as shivers run down my back.... I can smell the Benjimans flying from my wallet...
Old 06-27-2021, 01:02 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Just remember:
If a boat is, "a hole in the water into which one throws money.""
RVs hold that same relationship with the woods...
Old 06-27-2021, 01:03 AM   #10

THOR #23965
Well said my friend
Old 06-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #11

THOR #22687
We have 4 complete sets of keys to our Thor. I got the ignition keys from Ace Hardware for about $2.30 each. The keys to the Thor came from Trimark and they were about the same price.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:57 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post
We have 4 complete sets of keys to our Thor. I got the ignition keys from Ace Hardware for about $2.30 each. The keys to the Thor came from Trimark and they were about the same price.
Problem is he’s lost his one and only key so has no pattern to get a new one cut.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:16 AM   #13

THOR #23965
That is correct, I was hoping to remove the steering wheel and the entire key lock to the ignition and simply replace it with an entirely new tumbler and ignition housing. My question is do I have to get a coded key lock for my THOR to start???
Old 06-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #14

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
If the key is on the steering column then the key lock should connect to the actual ignition switch with a long rod (at least that's how an older car I had with a column ignition did it). My switch in the car was large with heavy duty copper contacts. If you get the key lock disconnected from that rod you may be able to manually push the rod down (maybe with visegrips) and it should spring back to the running position after it starts.

Maybe this isn't applicable at all but I thought I'd offer a suggestion. Good luck.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:55 AM   #15

THOR #23965
You are right about that woods, I have already been there. It's the actuator that breaks off in the steering column and you get the spinning key trick. I replaced the actuator and connected it to the rod and BAM....the key would start my rig again. This problem is of a different nature. I am trying to find out if I install a new key lock in the column, will I need to code it before it will start my rig. I lost my key and my buddy decided that he would drill out the tumbler and use a screwdriver to start the rig.... I wasn't present at the time or it wouldn't have happened. Sorry for the long reply... Can I remove the steering wheel and the key lock tumbler in its entirety and simply install a new GM ignition key lock in the existing housing and connect it to the wiring for the switch and VROOOM, off I Go or do I need a coded ignition set up to make her run. Thanks for your input woods it was a good fix, just the wrong problem...
Old 06-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #16

THOR #22687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Problem is he’s lost his one and only key so has no pattern to get a new one cut.
Yes, I understand that. That was more information for the future.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
If it is a GM or ford you can take the vin number to a dealer and the can bring it up on their computer . which will have a key code, than a new key can be cut fron this code
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #18

THOR #23965
Thank you Fhenn, I am assuming that the dealer can give me the cod or use that code to sell me an entire ignition key lock. I need the key along with the tumbler and all the guys that go into the steering column housing. I appreciate your input as well as everyone in the forum that has tried to help me through this mess. Thank you all
Old 07-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #19
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #9536
You need to take proof of ownership along with your drivers license. To any GM dealer. It doesn’t have to be a truck dealer.Than can look up the key code and cut you a new key. No necessary to replace the lock cylinder
Old 07-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #20

THOR #23965
I guess I failed to mention the fact that a Good Samaritan friend of mine offered to try to help me fix the key problem and in doing so he decided to drill a hole through the center of my lock so he could start it with a screwdriver.... yeah he's been watching too much TV..

Tags
ignition key, ignition tumbler, key lock instsllation, lost key, steering column