Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
Thumbs down Kitchen Drawer Issues

2017 Thor Axis 24.1 top kitchen drawer will not close completely. I can find no reason for this [there is nothing is the drawer sticking up or has fallen behind]. Has anyone else encountered this problem??? This issue just started suddenly over night.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Check the bottom latch that keeps it closed; I bet it broke.

They mount the latch on the bottom of the front face and the corresponding receiver underneath the drawer (remove the drawer and you'll see it--remove the drawer by pushing down/up on the two black plastic pieces that appear on the rails when you extend the drawer out as far as it goes. One piece will be towards the bottom, slide it up. The other will be towards the top, slide it down and pull the drawer all the way out.)

They are held in with these latches (Amazon).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
had the same problem on my 22FE, one screw had come out of the latch causing it to move sideways a bit so the rawer would not close all the way. I also replaced the original slides on mine with new heaver ones from Home Depot. If the latch is not the problem check the slide for obstructions, that little black strip that holds the ball bearings can come apart..
Current coach: Itasca Navion IQ 24V
Former coach: Thor 22FE
RVwithDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Common problem. My Vegas was bought new in 2015. In the past 4 years I have replaced 4 of those latches. Jamie posted a god amazon link for you. A four pack for $12 is as cheap as you are going to find them. The last one I replaced I bought at a local RV service and that cost a little over $12 for ONE. Had to replace one while staying at Lazydays Resort in Tampa and that one cost me $16 again for ONE.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #5

THOR #6107
Would this be the case if the drawer will not even close? It is like the drawer is unlevel or something because it hits the wooden part and just will not close at all.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
by "wooden part" do you mean like the face of the cabinet or the side of the drawer opening ? Can you post a photo of what it looks like ? And have you tried removing the drawer to see if both slides are functioning correctly ? I noticed on my Thor that the back framework of the cabinet was not attached in any way to the floor which could allow the back part of the frame to twist forward and cause a drawer to bind if one was to come to a fast hard stop. I could move mine by hand..
Current coach: Itasca Navion IQ 24V
Former coach: Thor 22FE
RVwithDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #7

THOR #6107
Drawer reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
by "wooden part" do you mean like the face of the cabinet or the side of the drawer opening ? Can you post a photo of what it looks like ? And have you tried removing the drawer to see if both slides are functioning correctly ? I noticed on my Thor that the back framework of the cabinet was not attached in any way to the floor which could allow the back part of the frame to twist forward and cause a drawer to bind if one was to come to a fast hard stop. I could move mine by hand..
Thank you for this good information. I have not tried anything yet. I will take a picture and post. The wooden drawer frame is hitting the top frame not allowing the draw to close.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #8

THOR #6107
Drawer reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyStapler View Post
Would this be the case if the drawer will not even close? It is like the drawer is unlevel or something because it hits the wooden part and just will not close at all.

Thank you for this good information!!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

THOR #6107
Kitchen drawer issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

They mount the latch on the bottom of the front face and the corresponding receiver underneath the drawer (remove the drawer and you'll see it--remove the drawer by pushing down/up on the two black plastic pieces that appear on the rails when you extend the drawer out as far as it goes. One piece will be towards the bottom, slide it up. The other will be towards the top, slide it down and pull the drawer all the way out.)

Thank you for this good information. I am saving all the replies so I can start to investigate.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

THOR #6107
Kitchen Drawer Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Thank you for this very informative information!!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #11

THOR #6107
Kitchen drawer issues

Quote:
2017 Thor Axis 24.1 top kitchen drawer will not close completely. I can find no reason for this [there is nothing is the drawer sticking up or has fallen behind]. Has anyone else encountered this problem??? This issue just started suddenly over night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post

Thank you for this good information!!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
Quote:
Happened with one of our bedroom drawers. The latch was broken. Ours was still under warranty as we only had it for about 3 months. Dealer fixed it within an hour at no cost to us. I am sure it is something that "anyone" can fix if you can find out from your dealer "which" latch to order and then replace yourself.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #13

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:

Thor latches are cheap junk that break easily. I have replaced 3/4ths of mine. It could also be the crappy drawer slides they use also. Once again I have replaced more than half of mine and just found another bad one.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Model: château 24DD
State: Prince Edward Island
THOR #16029
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Thor latches are cheap junk that break easily. I have replaced 3/4ths of mine. It could also be the crappy drawer slides they use also. Once again I have replaced more than half of mine and just found another bad one.
Same here. Bought a bag of repl latches on Amazon. An easy fix.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Same here, bought a 4 pack of these CampN-Pair-Push-Catch-Replacement on Amazon.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3901
State: Tennessee
THOR #11611
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
What did replace the slides with? I’m going through this with my Aria 3901.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #17

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Plastic door latches. There's a snap that keeps it closed and breaks often. Call Thor's 800 tech line and they will send you a bunch. Easy to install with a screwdriver.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.2 - E-450
State: Virginia
THOR #5259
There are three possible causes of your drawer not being able to be closed:
1. Something you put in there is sticking up. Admittedly, this is the least likely cause because you probably emptied the drawer of its contents already.
2. The plastic mechanism under the drawer is broken. This is the most likely cause of the problem because those clips are kind of crappy.
3. The left or right track has twisted at the back against the wall. I have found that Thor only puts in one screw at the wall termination end of each track, instead of two or three, and the flimsy drawer track can twist. Straighten the track and add a screw or two.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 AM   #19

State: California
THOR #16919
You should probably pull the drawer out and release the drawer from the drawer glide track. There’s probably a black clip on each glide to release the drawer. Check and see if the glide hardware has broken loose somewhere. Mine had the ball bearings fall out. The drawer glide hardware are very cheap and don’t hold up. I replaced all of mine with glides I bought on Amazon. They softly close and have a spring to keep them shut which is an added benefit in a Motorhome.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #20

State: California
THOR #16919
My advice is to pull each drawer in your Motorhome and measure the size of the drawer glide hardware. Make an inventory of what sizes you need and then shop for some soft close drawer glides on Amazon or eBay. Like these...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E61D620-4B73-4D82-80A3-1423BDEEB0A1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	20883