Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #23818
A/C issues with new 21 Ace 32.4

Hey there!
We bought a new 2021 Thor Ace 32.4 motorcoach (pretty sure that one) in April and we are having A/C issues. We have only used it twice for camping and not in extreme heat. First off the front dash air sucks so bad: blows out warm to hot to room temperature and never cold while driving. Can't figure that out.
Also the A/C throughout the coach will randomly shut off as we are driving which is so miserable. We know it shuts off at 1/4 tank of gas and we had 3/4 full when it did it again.
We are dreading our 4th of July trip from CO to MN because of the crap A/C.
Anyone experience anything like this and found a fix?
We are calling the dealership as well as Ford tomorrow but have found better answers here than a dealership has ever given before .. thanks!

Old 06-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The only ac part that is ford is the compressor(usually) unless you own b or c class RV.
Go to an ac specific shop. If its a wire or a control I doubt a ford dealer can help you..and certainly not under warranty. If I'm wrong, someone will type that I'm wrong.
You say the ac cuts off, but I'm guessing you mean the generator cuts off.

My 24.1 dash air has a seperate button you must push to actually turn the ac on. It's on outside air other wise.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Make sure the dash ac temperature control is all the way in the blue, set the ac control to MAX COOL also while stopped turn the ac on, off, on etc listen to see if you can hear the compressor cycling. If it's not maybe you're low on freon
When you do your monthly run the generator and motor make sure the dash ac is on, those 3 things need to be exercised regularly

Generator shutting down while driving is a know issue, drove us crazy our first summer going to Las Vegas .
Check your oil if it's at or above the full line you have TOO much oil, needs to be below the full line.

Hope this helps, keep us updated.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:09 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltrisco View Post
Hey there!
First off the front dash air sucks so bad: blows out warm to hot to room temperature and never cold while driving. Can't figure that out.
I'd say get a good visual of the ducting - in the engine bay & under the dash. You'll be amazed at the installation quality . ~something may be loose or kinked.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
A while ago there were a couple of threads on generators shutting off while driving due to overheating. I believe the consensus was that the cooking air flow was restricted and several members reported the solution was to install a vent on the coach compartment door at the generator. Some even said Thor provided it. Hope you can solve this problem!
Old 06-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #6

THOR #23818
Thank you all for the responses! My hubby called Thor and they said have fun get in line - all rv places are booked through October so our summer vacations may be over.

I'm having him check all that was suggested - even trying to get a mobile RV guy to take a look.

So crappy since this thing is BRAND new!!
Old 06-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #7

THOR #6826
Quote:
Thank you all for the responses! My hubby called Thor and they said have fun get in line - all rv places are booked through October so our summer vacations may be over.

I'm having him check all that was suggested - even trying to get a mobile RV guy to take a look.

So crappy since this thing is BRAND new!!

Don’t give up just yet. See if you can find an independent RV repair shop near you - or go camp near one if you get an appointment. They often do better work than dealers since their business depends on it and they frequently keep some of their schedule open for last minute appointments, again because it’s good for business. Unlike the auto industry these shops often are authorized to do warranty work. Personally, I wouldn’t go to most dealers for even the simplest task. Their heart just isn’t in It. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:49 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Same here do not give up. I will never go to a dealer service unless desperate. A local rv tech will fix. Just Google call them all. We got a return call on a Sunday and had a fix on Monday
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #9

THOR #23818
You all are awesome thank you! He has called around and so far no luck! Fingers crossed the next call we have luck haha
Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
I have a mobile RV tech that comes to my house. He does all my extended warranty work. If I need work on my Ford E450 I will take to a truck repair shop that I have used and turn the receipt into my extended warranty.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #11

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Make sure not to run the a/c on high
It will freeze the coils and put out warm air
Old 06-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
Make sure not to run the a/c on high
It will freeze the coils and put out warm air
Not if it's working correctly. Most rooftop A/Cs need to ALWAYS run on high to have any chance of keeping the RV cool.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #13

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Ac

The last time I ran mine on high the coils iced over
I was told by Thor dealer service to never run on high if you must only for no more than 15 minutes or it will ice up
Old 06-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I was told by Thor dealer service to never run on high if you must only for no more than 15 minutes or it will ice up
They lied to you so they didn't have to fix/repair your A/C. Why would the A/C manufacturer engineer and produce a unit that wouldn't operate properly?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Connecticut
THOR #16412
Quote:
Hey there!
We bought a new 2021 Thor Ace 32.4 motorcoach (pretty sure that one) in April and we are having A/C issues. We have only used it twice for camping and not in extreme heat. First off the front dash air sucks so bad: blows out warm to hot to room temperature and never cold while driving. Can't figure that out.
Also the A/C throughout the coach will randomly shut off as we are driving which is so miserable. We know it shuts off at 1/4 tank of gas and we had 3/4 full when it did it again.
We are dreading our 4th of July trip from CO to MN because of the crap A/C.
Anyone experience anything like this and found a fix?
We are calling the dealership as well as Ford tomorrow but have found better answers here than a dealership has ever given before .. thanks!
Do you have both Coach AC's on or just 1? My generator is 30amp and I can only run one of the AC units while driving; I only run both when on 50amp shore power.

I find on my 2019 ACE 30.4 that on the dash AC you have to fiddle with it between 3/4 and full cold and press the button for the AC on and off and back on again. It's strange but works. I also wiggle my nose to be sure it all works as planned.

Best of luck solving this, and please post back when you have a solution so the rest of us can benefit.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:12 AM   #16

THOR #23818
Thank you all so much! We ended up finally getting ahold of our mobile guy and he said that a sensor was broken - about a 10min fix and we are up and running!
Old 06-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #17

THOR #20220
Excellent news! Since near montana do not forget kurts repair
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-25-2021, 09:34 PM   #18

THOR #6826
Quote:

Isn’t high or low just the fan speed? So on high it will just be drawing more “warm” air in over the coils than it does on low. And that should REDUCE icing.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:37 AM   #19

THOR #20220
High is fine. Ran mine today on high for 8 hours

Tags
ac unit