Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27 B
State: California
THOR #18443
RV handling

I am new to Motorhome living, have trailered in the past. I own a 2019 Thor 27' Windsport with a Ford F-53 chassis and I live in So. Calif with bad road conditions. I'm finding the coach a little hard to handle , i've been told a safe t steering stabilizer, new shocks, and a rear stablizer bar might help
Any suggestions ?

Old 01-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Do a front end alignment before doing anything else. Shoot for 5+ degrees positive caster.

That should significantly improve return to center handling which is what the springs in a Safe T Plus or a Roadmaster do.

David
Old 01-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Yes, do the alignment.
The other things are kind of placebo or half steps.

Some of us like sumo and other mods, some don't, some know they're just bumpstops or stiffeners, some swear by them as miracles.

Baby steps after reading many many posts and deciding what the poster said, and what they didn't.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't do many things at once. Do one mod, drive it for a bit and see how you like it then do another.

In addition: For F-53 chassis look up CHF (cheap handling fix).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Don't do many things at once. Do one mod, drive it for a bit and see how you like it then do another.

In addition: For F-53 chassis look up CHF (cheap handling fix).
Man, I missed it was a f53.
Op,
You can tell if its already been done by which hole is used.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #6

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Do a front end alignment before doing anything else. Shoot for 5+ degrees positive caster.

That should significantly improve return to center handling which is what the springs in a Safe T Plus or a Roadmaster do.

David

Does that +5 camber work on the 450 too
Old 01-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Does that +5 camber work on the 450 too

Ford E350 or 450:
5.1 on Driver's
5.3 on Passenger

That's what my alignment tech did
And that's what is recommended on several posts on various RV Forum sites
Old 01-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

Model: ACE 32,3
State: Florida
THOR #21600
Sumo Springs

Well new to RVing, and the first thing i noticed on our 2021 Thor A.C.E, once on the highway the rig did not handle well with steering and sway.
thanks to this Forum, i did some research, and eventually decided to install, sumo springs from and back and the saf-t-plus stabilizer.
Yall thank you so much for all the information you left here, after installing the above mentioned, the rig is totally different on the road.
thank you all
Old 01-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafmfx2 View Post
Well new to RVing, and the first thing i noticed on our 2021 Thor A.C.E, once on the highway the rig did not handle well with steering and sway.
thanks to this Forum, i did some research, and eventually decided to install, sumo springs from and back and the saf-t-plus stabilizer.
Yall thank you so much for all the information you left here, after installing the above mentioned, the rig is totally different on the road.
thank you all
Welcome to the forum. If you haven't done so you should load the coach, get it weighted, set the tire pressure and then get it aligned.

Again, welcome.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
TKM

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #6193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjnsn@gmail.com View Post
I am new to Motorhome living, have trailered in the past. I own a 2019 Thor 27' Windsport with a Ford F-53 chassis and I live in So. Calif with bad road conditions. I'm finding the coach a little hard to handle , i've been told a safe t steering stabilizer, new shocks, and a rear stablizer bar might help
Any suggestions ?
I have the Exact same chassis on my 2017 29M. I added, sumo springs on all 4 corners, a rear track bar, a front steering stabilizer and an alignment. Went from White Knuckle to one finger driving.
2017 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Alabama
THOR #22154
I have a 2018 ACE 29.3 with that chassis. After my drive to Florida, from Alabama, I put in a front and rear stabilizer bar and a steering stabilizer. All from roadmaster. Now I drive with one hand (sometimes). And my will drive again.
Note this is our down-size rig we full timed in. We had a 40 ft. diesel pusher on a freightliner chassis.

Matt
Old 02-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Is there a vedio can i do myself? I put in a front and rear stabilizer bar and a steering stabilizer. All from roadmaster.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #13

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #22154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Is there a vedio can i do myself? I put in a front and rear stabilizer bar and a steering stabilizer. All from roadmaster.
I believe there is. Look on etrailer for them. I hope you regularly do bench presses, as those things are heavy. I am a DYIer also, but I leave that type stuff to the pros.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:02 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
The CHF did a lot for my handling but the number one thing was to set my tire pressure correctly. When I got the rig it came with tire pressure set to MAX. After weighing and checking with the Goodyear site I dropped the pressure to 80PSI in the rear and 85PSI in the front and it made a world of difference.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:29 AM   #15
MLP

THOR #17478
A lot of things do improve the handling. Proper tire pressure in the first. Second is to make sure you are not dragging the tail. If so, air lift to fix it. That is what fixed our old class C. Then there is our Thor Palazzo 33.2. First long white knuckle drive from Los Vegas to Bakersfield. 47 mile per hour gusts and 38 mile per hour side winds. I have had front and rear Roadmaster anti sway bars, Safe-T-Steer, Koni shocks, and motion control units to control the air bag suspension. Now I can turn and not feel that I am going to flip! No getting pushed by semi trucks, and the wind does not bother it. I do slow down when the semi trucks do when the wind is strong, but I do not get pushed into the next lane.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjnsn@gmail.com View Post
Any suggestions ?
Let’s cut to the chase. You have same coach as me. Load all your stuff into it. Fill with fuel and 1/2 tank of fresh water. Go to a real truck shop. Get an alignment and front wheels balanced. While there, have them change both front and rear sway bars to the other set of holes (referred to on this site as the CHF). This will stiffen the ride/reducing sway. Add a saf t steering stabilizer. All in around $400. If you’re handy and have a place to do it, the CHF and stabilizer can be done at home. Forget Sumos and air bags and all that other stuff. Also get some Dynamat and stick it under the dog house. I’m going to put it under the floor in the wheel well area as well. Watch for bubbles in the interior wall paper under the windows. They have a problem with certain windows. And lastly , air pressure in tires. I’ve found that 95psi in front and 85 psi in rear duals works well and also carries the proper weight. Enjoy.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #21916
Well putting sumo springs on all 4 corners of our 2013 Hurrricane 34E Ford F53 made a huge differance in handling in our coach. We also added the rear trac bar that works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3592_edited_edited.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	28717  
Old 02-25-2021, 10:59 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
JimmyZ did that blue thing and the black spring come in the kit? is it hard to install
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:39 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #19392
Caster or Camber? +5° camber is excessive and will cause premature tire wear and IMHO could cause a crash. Caster I agree +5° Caster is good. Positive camber though is bad
Old 02-26-2021, 12:52 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsleeper View Post
Caster or Camber? +5° camber is excessive and will cause premature tire wear and IMHO could cause a crash. Caster I agree +5° Caster is good. Positive camber though is bad
It's CASTER.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote