Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Ace 29.3 Black Water Tank Capacity

We have a 2016 Ace 29.3. There are only two of us. We NEVER come close to filling the Gray Water Tank BUT are only getting four or five days before the gauge on the Black Water Tank shows four dots. Maybe only two on the Gray. Can I only expect 4-5 days on the Black Water tank? What has your experience been with this particular model.

Please compare only this model because others have higher capacities.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
My 2017 29.3 black tank is only 26 gal vs. the grey 40 (I believe). Yes we have to really watch it a lot more than I would like, but not much one can do other than use parks restrooms a little bit more often. We also only get 4-5 days use. However on the other side I am not to sure as to the placement of the tank sensors. I was reading one post and it was mentioned that the bathroom sink fed into the black tank. That's something I plan on checking out.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #3

THOR #4032
It is true that the bathroom sink drains into the black water tank. I wish there was a way to determine whether the "sensors" are accurate. For example, if it goes from three dots to four does that mean the tank if full? If not, how much is left? Because of the limited capacity, I know for a fact I would not buy this model again. It appears 26 gallons isn't enough capacity if you are dry camping. Imagine what it would be like if you had two or three kids with you instead of only the two of us.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
It is true that the bathroom sink drains into the black water tank. I wish there was a way to determine whether the "sensors" are accurate. For example, if it goes from three dots to four does that mean the tank if full? If not, how much is left? Because of the limited capacity, I know for a fact I would not buy this model again. It appears 26 gallons isn't enough capacity if you are dry camping. Imagine what it would be like if you had two or three kids with you instead of only the two of us.
If you know where the tank is and have access to it (either by looking inside, or by crawling under) you can always simply tap on the tank to find the level.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I wouldn't count on the sensors being remotely accurate, most are totally useless, & all the cleaners, special concoctions, ice cubes, whatever just causes you more headaches & does nothing for the sensors. Basically they are/always have been junk. You just have to learn how long your rv can go on each tank before you have to dump.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I wouldn't count on the sensors being remotely accurate... Basically they are/always have been junk. .
Based upon what's going in them: don't you mean that they are crap?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If you really want to see the minutia of how they work, browse around the DIY Capacitive Tank Sensor thread. We pretty much reverse engineered the whole tank sensor system there.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I wouldn't count on the sensors being remotely accurate, most are totally useless, & all the cleaners, special concoctions, ice cubes, whatever just causes you more headaches & does nothing for the sensors. Basically they are/always have been junk. You just have to learn how long your rv can go on each tank before you have to dump.
How did you learn how long you can go with yours?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The bathroom grey will back up into the shower, the kitchen grey starts to smell in the kitchen sink, & the toilet starts to make a different sound when you flush, sounds like filling a long neck bottle once it starts filling the neck.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Four to five days is about how long I go before dumping and flushing the black tank. That is with only my wife and me. I could probably push longer, but why? The bathroom sink drains into the black tank in ours, which I think is stupid. Never had than in any other RV I had.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How sure are you guys of how much... stuff!, is in the tank?
I've heard from several folks, that those guages will only be right, until you flood them with... you know!

After that: you might as well use a stick to probe the tank for the actual depth...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
IMO its really not that big a deal to know exactly how much is in there. If you know you can safely go 4 to 5 days, then just dump every 5 days.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
..or four...
Better to leave a little room; than a little mess!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #14

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
IMO its really not that big a deal to know exactly how much is in there. If you know you can safely go 4 to 5 days, then just dump every 5 days.
Sometimes it is not convenient to just dump every 5 days if it isn't necessary.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #15

THOR #4032
Since we stopped using the bathroom sink whenever possible, the black tank is NOT filling quickly. Night four and still only one dot. But we are using the kitchen sink to wash our hands etc. and now it shows two dots. We have NEVER filled the gray water tank to full capacity. Has anyone been able to change the bathroom drain to go into the gray water tank? Details are appreciated.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Since we stopped using the bathroom sink whenever possible, the black tank is NOT filling quickly. Night four and still only one dot. But we are using the kitchen sink to wash our hands etc. and now it shows two dots. We have NEVER filled the gray water tank to full capacity. Has anyone been able to change the bathroom drain to go into the gray water tank? Details are appreciated.
As I said in another thread - depends on the rig... In mine - the drain pipe would have to go down under the hallway floor then UP to the gray tank... With the current laws of gravity, that isn't going to happen without adding a pump...
If you have straight shot - its just pvc pipe - saw, fittings, and cement.

Our gray has always filled long before the black... so I have even less desire to make a change. Though with hookups I usually leave the gray open until a day or so before dumping the black.
Unless you have one of those 'not straight falls' into the black from the toilet - a flashlight while flushing will give you a picture of how much crap (literally) is there.
We can typically go a full week without dumping the black... It has never filled completely - but DW insists..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We've filled the black tank twice: Once by accident (left the bathroom faucet dripping) and once simply due to use (also the bathroom faucet..not too much, er, waste). So we know how much it will hold.

Now that I have my DIY monitor working I found (in one trip) that the tank was far less full than we/I had thought (based on the std gauge showing 2/3 full and by looking down the toilet--hard to judge the height by looking down the toilet with a flash light).

Nonetheless I encourage people to wash their hands in the kitchen sink when we're on long trips to try to fill the grey (which never fills).
Old 09-12-2017, 03:00 AM   #18

THOR #4032
we agree. The use of the bathroom sink can really fill the black water tank in a hurry. Tomorrow will be day 7 that we have not had to dump by being very careful about that sink. When I do use it I do not turn the facet on full and do not let it run. I try to use the kitchen sink instead when possible.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #19

THOR #4032
It looks like we can go at least another day or two by being careful with the bathroom sink.... three dots showing on the black water tank today.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:36 AM   #20

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #7689
Quote:
It looks like we can go at least another day or two by being careful with the bathroom sink.... three dots showing on the black water tank today.
I was having the same problem so its good to hear that just switching to using the kitchen sink instead of the bathroom one solved your problem. I will do that on my next trip. Thanks...