Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2023, 04:02 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kansas
THOR #29602
travel in a Vegas with no toad

Hi folks, I am considering a Vegas and wondering if anyone travels in one with no toad and if it is sized that it can get in and out of parking lots and travel destinations?

Old 05-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Drive one.
Rent one.
Find out your abilities.

Talent allows an Axis/Vegas to park anywhere a dually truck can, then do 85mph on the freeway.

Lack of talent negates both.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:17 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #25895
We have a 2021 Vegas 24.1. We flat tow a Ford Edge and I still feel like it is a bit easier to drive/maneuver than when we towed a trailer (previous RV Lance 1995). Driving it without a toad almost feels like driving a wide pickup truck. Super easy.

We purchased it just for that reason (ease of driving). My wife wanted an RV she could take out on her own with her friends but not worry about trickier things like backing in RV spots or getting into gas stations. Also makes going to some of the older state parks that have short or narrow RV spots super easy.

There are still some issues though like parking lots with narrow parking spaces. I would not parallel or diagonal park in downtown locations. Just too wide or long. So in some situations we park on side streets.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:48 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBBOB View Post
Hi folks, I am considering a Vegas and wondering if anyone travels in one with no toad and if it is sized that it can get in and out of parking lots and travel destinations?
3 years Vegas.
25 plus states.
No toad.
All parks and rec.gov are great.
Family driveways work.
Our driveway works.
Street parking works.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:06 PM   #5

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Yes.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:48 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A lot of variables. Your travel/camping style might dictate the need for auxiliary transportation... or not. You had a truck/travel trailer before. Did you often use the truck for excursions? Or did you tend to stay put where you parked?

Regardless of MH size, we specifically use a toad because we're more nimble. We can leave the MH set up and jump in the Jeep for a few hours of short trips. We have no limits in narrow dirt roads... and the places we go there's a LOT of twisty, narrow dirt/gravel roads. And when we get back to camp, it's like coming home... no leveling, hooking up utilities, etc.

But that's just us... YOUR travel style may be quite different.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:37 AM   #7

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
State: California
THOR #22619
No Toad

Quote:
We have ebikes that have a 50 mile range, and find we can do most everything we want to with them. If we need more we will rent a car or Uber.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:35 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I did the first 4 or 5 years of motorhome travel with no toad. It became a chore not having a vehicle for short hops during extended stays. With a dinghy, day trips to the next town for additional recreational opportunities is a bonus.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #9

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #29286
We travelled in a Class B which was just over 20 feet. The Vegas is only about 5 feet longer so basically we can go where we always did with the Class B. This was one of the key features for us. Love it!
Old 05-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerShandy View Post
We travelled in a Class B which was just over 20 feet. The Vegas is only about 5 feet longer so basically we can go where we always did with the Class B. This was one of the key features for us. Love it!
This was the same logic we used to buy our 30ft RV

My brother's Class B was right at 25'. The RV we bought was only 5 feet longer. I actually drive and park my 30' RV more places than where my brother will park his 25'. When we go to same places he will marvel at how I parked so close to our destination where he may have parked across the street or down the street or in another parking lot.

We have a toad now, but just got it after 4 years of RV ownership. Our toad is not to drive when we get somewhere locally because of concern with moving the RV, rather it was because I found out my new Navigator was tow capable; so I just made it a toad if I ever wanted to take it some place; but yet stay in the RV. In my view, if I have the toad I will have parking problems

But at the end of the day, we love our 30' RV and can park it anywhere. I have even found place to park downtown Dallas at hotels because they always have places to park buses if you ask them.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-05-2023, 04:39 PM   #11

THOR #20220
In many places, we have called the local town and asked where to park our rv. 100% the town told us where to go.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #12

THOR #16721
It's more or less a mindset. When I go to the local post office I prefer to drive a car over my F-150 simply because the parking lot is small, there's little space to turn around, the car's turning radius is much tighter than the truck and the truck's additional length compounds the issue.

A class B van might fit in there... but there's no way a Vegas or any other motorhome could park or turn around. Also it's not just length - it's width and turn radius. It's why you always see motorhomes parked in left field at Walmart.

Funny thing is I PREFER to park further away if there's room - even with the car. If the weather's nice it's great exercise walking a little, and the bonus is avoiding door dings!
Old 05-05-2023, 06:27 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
In many places, we have called the local town and asked where to park our rv. 100% the town told us where to go.
In some cases while on the road we stop for dinner and if it is late enough we ask about parking overnight and get a no problem everytime. Finding a spot for the RV has never been an issue.

If you ask me where I believe is the #1 location for being hassled about parking would be a RV or Ford Dealership of all places
Old 05-05-2023, 07:22 PM   #14

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
It's more or less a mindset. When I go to the local post office I prefer to drive a car over my F-150 simply because the parking lot is small, there's little space to turn around, the car's turning radius is much tighter than the truck and the truck's additional length compounds the issue.

A class B van might fit in there... but there's no way a Vegas or any other motorhome could park or turn around. Also it's not just length - it's width and turn radius. It's why you always see motorhomes parked in left field at Walmart.

Funny thing is I PREFER to park further away if there's room - even with the car. If the weather's nice it's great exercise walking a little, and the bonus is avoiding door dings!

Hey hey my friend we park our Vegas in normal WALMART spots. We just take up 2 spots connected in front & back
Old 05-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #15

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
In some cases while on the road we stop for dinner and if it is late enough we ask about parking overnight and get a no problem everytime. Finding a spot for the RV has never been an issue.

If you ask me where I believe is the #1 location for being hassled about parking would be a RV or Ford Dealership of all places
Correct amen
Old 05-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
Hey hey my friend we park our Vegas in normal WALMART spots. We just take up 2 spots connected in front & back
I even do that in the truck sometimes... but I avoid taking up spaces closer to the store... I figure there's less able folks who can't walk as well as me, so I park "out" and enjoy the walk. I know in a few years when I'm not as capable, I'll appreciate those closer spots!
Old 05-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
I was at a Holiday Inn for 3 days / 2 nights for an event to which I was paid registered; but I did not check in hotel for room.

We took up 3 spaces at the far corner rear with trees / shade on driver side. Ran the generator whenever the AGS started it, and put out the levelers and slide late night and early morning if space was needed. It was kind of cold so I try to keep it in to help keep it warm.

We left the Holiday Inn parking lot no less than 4 times to go places, and came back and found the same spot all but once.

Personally, I think our RV gave the place atmosphere and ambiance and they were prolly sad to see us go
Old 05-10-2023, 06:42 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #12004
Vegas with a Vagas

Quote:
I own a 2018 Thor Vega and we went to Vegas in 2018 towing a car from Florida to California. Visited 34 National Parks and I was so glad that I towed my car. I was able to set up camp, get in my car and tour the areas and visit places that I could never get to had I just had my motorhome. My son took my MasterTow Trailer in 2022 and made the same trip. When in doubt TOW