Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Washington
THOR #10467
Strange back-up camera electical connection

I recently purchased a new 2017 Thor ACE 30.3 motor home and couldn't figure out why my back-up and lane change cameras were apparently not working. Just by chance, I discovered the "store/use" switch must be in the "use" position for the cameras to work. In other words, their power source is the coach batteries rather than the chassis battery. This makes absolutely no sense to me in that the cameras are only going to be needed when the coach is, of course, moving. So therefore one would think the chassis battery should be used. Does anyone have an explanation why this is not the case?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Because it's integrated into the dash radio which is an entertainment system for when the coach is parked, thus power is supplied by the coach batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbain1 View Post
I recently purchased a new 2017 Thor ACE 30.3 motor home and couldn't figure out why my back-up and lane change cameras were apparently not working. Just by chance, I discovered the "store/use" switch must be in the "use" position for the cameras to work. In other words, their power source is the coach batteries rather than the chassis battery. This makes absolutely no sense to me in that the cameras are only going to be needed when the coach is, of course, moving. So therefore one would think the chassis battery should be used. Does anyone have an explanation why this is not the case?
Welcome... from another Washingtonian! It doesn't make much sense to me either. When you park the rv and turn off the engine, the radio/screen system should turn off. Then, turn on when back in the rig starting the engine. I'll bet a person could re-wire to a hot ignition "ON" power source Pretty easily.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Welcome... from another Washingtonian! It doesn't make much sense to me either. When you park the rv and turn off the engine, the radio/screen system should turn off. Then, turn on when back in the rig starting the engine. I'll bet a person could re-wire to a hot ignition "ON" power source Pretty easily.
That way, when you wanted to listen to music in your coach through the built-in speakers while stopped, you would have to turn the ignition on.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10467
You're right I suppose that it's part of the entertainment system, but you would think they wouldn't have to integrate the back-up system to it, two unrelated entities! Thanks all of you for responding.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yeah, i agree with you.
They should have either not integrated it with the house system ONLY....or perhaps given an option form the helm to engage the house batteries.

I discovered mine the same way not long after buying. I got in to drive it to the storage lot just down the road. Had to pull over to get it going.

I also don't like that I have to go into the settings every time I store the unit to reconfigure the polarity for the camera to come on automatically when I change gears to R. That camera thing should just come on when i shift to R. Simple
Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
That way, when you wanted to listen to music in your coach through the built-in speakers while stopped, you would have to turn the ignition on.
Yes, understood. But, we also have a sound bar under our tv that has radio/aux input. We used to always listen to the in dash sytem in our old MH. You just need to be mindful of the useage.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Yes, understood. But, we also have a sound bar under our tv that has radio/aux input. We used to always listen to the in dash sytem in our old MH. You just need to be mindful of the useage.
Then why bother having separate chassis/house systems?
Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Gotta have something to start the motor with when it's a bare chassis?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
It might be handy to be able to see around your RV if you hear something in the night?
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote