Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #12268
Lemon law

Has anyone had to resort to legal action do to defective RV. We bought ours in July and it has been in the service shop at the dealer for 90% of the time. We have Thor involved but they aren't doing much. When it goes in for service it takes months to get what's wrong corrected and then I get it back with more things wrong.

I really need to know if this is normal.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It’s not unusual to have quite a few items needing repair. But I’d not consider it normal to have the machine stuck at the dealer for months at a time. I’d take it to Thor in Indiana (I know - you shouldn’t have to do that, but...) or I’d find an independent repair shop that actually values your business. There are some that can do warranty work. As a last resort, I’d just spend the money to have it fixed by an independent repair shop. Again, you shouldn’t have to do that but if it’s only a few hundred dollars it’s probably cheaper than driving to Indiana or hiring lawyers. The good news is that once you get the bugs out you’ll probably get years of good service from your coach.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
What issues are you having?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The Lemon Laws are pretty State specific: consult with your State Attorney General's Office about this issue.
Generally speaking: the chassis might be covered under a Lemon Law Statute; but eh Coach part isn't...
But I'm not a Lawyer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #5

THOR #11130
In reading through his complaint...the statement, "Thor isn't doing much" leads me to believe the issues are not big issues and the problem is more of a dealer service quality issue. For the most part, Thor is very pro-active with product issues. A list of specific issues would help.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: some more information would certainly help...

Having said this...

I had a pretty long "Punch-List" on my Outlaw...
The Dealership didn't get interested in fixing things, until I started talking LOUDLY in their store about a full refund.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
No it is not normal. Don’t waste your time going to Indiana. They are no better than CW. They may work on the rv while it’s there but the techs aren’t any better. You paid for an rv with a warranty and should not have to extend more money to fix it while under warranty because Thor doesn’t want to spend the money you paid for it to fix it. I’m done trying to deal with Thor. They don’t know what it means to be respectful or professional. I have hired an attorney.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've heard many good reports, from folks who went back to the factory for repairs. What happened with yours?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 AM   #9

THOR #6826
Lemon law

I respect jmcjaw2’s experience and decision making, but that level of frustration also isn’t “normal”. I suggest making an appointment with the general manager of your dealership to discuss your experience and ask for expedited service. If that doesn’t work I’d take it to another service center and try again. If it was me (which it was....) I’d make as many repairs as I could do myself and, unless it was something huge, just pay for the remaining repairs. I bought my RV to enjoy and relax and it’s not worth the frustration to try to force Thor into making good. And, in my experience Thor was very helpful and committed during my few calls to them when I was under warranty. Good luck and I hope you are able to finally enjoy. I have noticed that most of the many quality complaints on this forum are related to new coaches. I think that most folks do eventually get past the new coach bugs and are able to enjoy happy travels.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #10

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
state of cal is real straight forward , and they go to bat for you./ … I had to do it once,Fleetwood gave me a new motorhome..and up graded it to the next higher model...if it's been in for repairs for over 30 days, or repeted repairs for the same thing... lemon law steps in... on mine it was obvious that it wasn't getting fixed, reps from Fleetwood came out looked at it and said give him a new one...what you have going is it was purchaced in cal... I think???
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

THOR #11130
I think a lot of it has to do with the level of skill of the owner. He hasn't come back in and addressed examples of a few of the issues. Some people really go over the edge over a light not working or a plumbing flange under a sink needing a twist or two for tightening. I ran into an old crab-a** in Wakarusa that was wailing away at 7AM over the stupidest little things. The more the techs tried to appease him, the more arrogant he got. I finally stood up to him and asked him..."this is stupid stuff you're bringing up, why are you such an a**hole to everyone...these people are bending over backwards for you and all you can do is act like a jacka**". His wife told me a few minutes later outside..."he's like this about everything...it's so embarrassing, but if I say anything he gets worse". Some folks are really unhappy people and nothing anyone can do will help.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! They wouldn't even be happy, if you hung them with a brand-new rope!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 AM   #13

THOR #6826
It takes some effort to move gracefully through life and I don’t always succeed. But here’s to trying!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
2020 Thor Hurricane engine blew! Yeah Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadsbum View Post
Has anyone had to resort to legal action do to defective RV. We bought ours in July and it has been in the service shop at the dealer for 90% of the time. We have Thor involved but they aren't doing much. When it goes in for service it takes months to get what's wrong corrected and then I get it back with more things wrong.

I really need to know if this is normal.
I like to know also, My brand new Hurricane is sitting in Ford Dealership in PA since Dec 30th with blown engine 600 miles from my home in NC. 2300 miles on it! 1100 from dealer delivery! Since we bought it in Nov, we still don't have a fresh water tank, that's been on back order, plus we have all kinds of other things. You know they don't even vacuum sawdust from under bed or sofa??

Learned a lot about breaking down and having to deal with Nationwide's 3rd party Broke down service, wasn't fun! Was living hell!

My last one, 2016 Thor Vegas just had it's 4th windshield installed right before trade in! You think I would of Learned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thorbrokedown.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	22119  
Old 01-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcjaw2 View Post
No it is not normal. Don’t waste your time going to Indiana. They are no better than CW. They may work on the rv while it’s there but the techs aren’t any better. You paid for an rv with a warranty and should not have to extend more money to fix it while under warranty because Thor doesn’t want to spend the money you paid for it to fix it. I’m done trying to deal with Thor. They don’t know what it means to be respectful or professional. I have hired an attorney.
You don't need an attorney, you need a salesman.
Sell it today.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
I like to know also, My brand new Hurricane is sitting in Ford Dealership in PA since Dec 30th with blown engine 600 miles from my home in NC. 2300 miles on it! 1100 from dealer delivery! Since we bought it in Nov, we still don't have a fresh water tank, that's been on back order, plus we have all kinds of other things. You know they don't even vacuum sawdust from under bed or sofa??

Learned a lot about breaking down and having to deal with Nationwide's 3rd party Broke down service, wasn't fun! Was living hell!

My last one, 2016 Thor Vegas just had it's 4th windshield installed right before trade in! You think I would of Learned!
So does NC have a lemon law that covers RVs? The Florida Lemon Law covers the vehicle portion of an RV .

In 2003 I bought a brand new Chevrolet TrailBlazer from a dealer 80 miles away. As I got off the Interstate in my town and turned left at an intersection the rear end hopped and started making a terrible racket when the vehicle moved. I limped it 2 blocks to the local Buick dealership and left it in their after hours service bay. It got towed to the local Chevrolet dealership the next day for repair which took over a month to get a new rear axle installed but the regional service rep paid for a truck rental the entire time since we had reservations for a two week RV vacation with our travel trailer and needed a functioning tow vehicle.

So as much as you would like to blame Thor for your blown engine and lump it in with your other RV problems, it IS a Ford issue, and this things do happen on occasion. Find out your consumer rights, contact Ford, do your required documentation, and see what Ford is willing to do for you to keep you happy while the engine is fixed/replaced or the RV is bought back due to not being repaired withing the applicable consumer lemon law time frames.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:28 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You don't need an attorney, you need a salesman.
Sell it today.
The real question is: How's his lawsuit going 9 months later?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The real question is: How's his lawsuit going 9 months later?
His was a Doppler effect drive-by whine.
I didn't realize or I wouldn't have commented.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #19

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
Thor professional business practices are non existence. I filed a law suit. I’ll let you know how we make out.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #20

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the level of skill of the owner. He hasn't come back in and addressed examples of a few of the issues. Some people really go over the edge over a light not working or a plumbing flange under a sink needing a twist or two for tightening. I ran into an old crab-a** in Wakarusa that was wailing away at 7AM over the stupidest little things. The more the techs tried to appease him, the more arrogant he got. I finally stood up to him and asked him..."this is stupid stuff you're bringing up, why are you such an a**hole to everyone...these people are bending over backwards for you and all you can do is act like a jacka**". His wife told me a few minutes later outside..."he's like this about everything...it's so embarrassing, but if I say anything he gets worse". Some folks are really unhappy people and nothing anyone can do will help.
Amen