Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #20229
Levelers no longer working

Hello sorry for on submitting questions and not contributing to the forum. We are still new so I hope In time I can add some content. For now I have a question on the leveling system. We have a 31s windsport and have been traveling for the past week with no issues on the leveling system. A storm is rolling in and we need the leveling system however it’s not functioning. We are using the manual leveling since the automatic receives a “low voltage” error. This has been the workaround while on the trip. On a side note, I have replaced both house batteries and the crank battery during the trip.

When using the manual leveling option, you can hear a clicking sound as you press any of the front, rear, or side options. We’ve read there is a breaker reset. Can someone tell me where that is located?

Am I looking in the right direction?

Old 09-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Using the levelers requires your MH's engine be running and the parking brake set.

The breaker you are looking for is in your house battery compartment and is a 100 amp DC breaker with a red or yellow push button and if tripped, a visible red or yellow flag. Push the flag back in to reset it.

If it is not tripped, the problem could be the hydraulic motor itself or the motor solenoid.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #3

THOR #20229
Thank you for the reply 16Ace27. I’ve checked the fuses neither were tripped. It’s hard to capture the clicking sound When pressing the areas to level when the engines running.
I guess my next steps are to test if the motor or still annoyed or functioning. I’ll need to look that up as well thank you for your help
Old 09-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #4

THOR #20229
Something interesting, on the panel it displays the jacks are already down and when I hit the retract button it goes to the sequence to retract however at times out with an error displaying retract time out. When I hit enter the message return leveler for service is displayed
Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #16500
Make sure you check the fluid reservoir. When we purchased our coach, I spent the entire next day on the phone with techs in Indiana troubleshooting why the jacks would not retract so we could leave the RV park. Come to find out the hydraulic fluid was too low. Worked fine during the inspection, and when we arrived at the site, but would not retract again the next day. Tech told me to fill with transmission fluid and they have worked ever since.
Good Sam Club
valkosr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkosr View Post
Make sure you check the fluid reservoir. When we purchased our coach, I spent the entire next day on the phone with techs in Indiana troubleshooting why the jacks would not retract so we could leave the RV park. Come to find out the hydraulic fluid was too low. Worked fine during the inspection, and when we arrived at the site, but would not retract again the next day. Tech told me to fill with transmission fluid and they have worked ever since.

Related....apparently you’re supposed to change that fluid every three years. I did it on my one used coach with a siphon and a turkey baster. Mine took just under a gallon of ATF.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
If you're using synthetic transmission fluid as designed and recommended

There is absolutely no reason to change the fluid
Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
If you're using synthetic transmission fluid as designed and recommended

There is absolutely no reason to change the fluid

I would agree except that it’s on the maintenance schedule, it’s easy and only cost a few dollars. Also I have no confidence that they use synthetic when new. I did though. My old fluid looked only slightly discolored and clean.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

THOR #16500
I assume multi vehicle is the preferred type to use...

- Dexron VI (GM) / Mercon V (Ford) / ATF+4 (Chrysler)

-Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Transmission Fluid.

-Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Fluid.
Good Sam Club
Old 09-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
All the manuf recommend changing because atf attracts water and does not, in this case, get hot enough to burn it off.

Bill
Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if valkosr has been able to get his jacks working yet?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #12

THOR #16500
I got mine working a year ago. But apparently now its time to change the fluid. -Rich
Good Sam Club
Old 09-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #13

THOR #16500
So no need to spend extra for synthetic if water is the concern, but is there a preferred type Dexron, Mercon, ATF+4, etc.?
Good Sam Club
Old 09-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wonder if valkosr has been able to get his jacks working yet?
It was Ravenrx7 that was the op.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #15

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
The synthetic is what the manuf. recommend. I really don't think $1.00 per quart, when you need less than 1 gallon will hurt too bad. YEMV Look in YOUR book.

Bill
Old 09-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #16

THOR #6826
I used Dexron in my Fleetwood
Old 09-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #17

THOR #20229
Thank you valkosr, I checked the fluid levels and they are full. The positive side, the levelers are up, I'm trying to get them down so I can extend the slides and have more stability.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #18

THOR #794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenrx7 View Post
Thank you for the reply 16Ace27. I’ve checked the fuses neither were tripped. It’s hard to capture the clicking sound When pressing the areas to level when the engines running.
I guess my next steps are to test if the motor or still annoyed or functioning. I’ll need to look that up as well thank you for your help

I had a similar problem with my 2014 Windsport 34E. I called Lippert tech support (who were very good) and they walked me through the troubleshooting steps. With the engine running and brake set, and in manual mode, have your assistant try to command a jack down. With your voltmeter, measure the voltage at the motor terminals. If the voltage is about 13 volts and does not change then your motor is most likely bad. In my case, they overnighted me a new motor to the campground where I was staying. I was able to replace it in less than an hour.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenrx7 View Post
Hello sorry for on submitting questions and not contributing to the forum. We are still new so I hope In time I can add some content. For now I have a question on the leveling system. We have a 31s windsport and have been traveling for the past week with no issues on the leveling system. A storm is rolling in and we need the leveling system however it’s not functioning. We are using the manual leveling since the automatic receives a “low voltage” error. This has been the workaround while on the trip. On a side note, I have replaced both house batteries and the crank battery during the trip.

When using the manual leveling option, you can hear a clicking sound as you press any of the front, rear, or side options. We’ve read there is a breaker reset. Can someone tell me where that is located?

Am I looking in the right direction?
Is your system LCI? If so they have a great app MYLCI that you can download. It has product specs and owners guides that you can access on the fly. The troubleshooting info is helpful too. Here’s a link to electric leveling system guide...
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001751.pdf
Check the error code to see how to deal with it. Hey n my system the reset for the error code is hold down retract an enter at the same time. The low voltage warning is something I see often but only for a couple seconds then it disappears.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #20

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
The ones on my new Georgetown 30x3 throw the breaker on the pump every so often. No help from dealer or Lippert so I live with it.

Challenge was first time finding the breaker. It is next to the hydraulic pump.