Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New York
THOR #6597
Leveling Jacks

Our 2017 Freedom Elite FE 30 did not come with any type of leveling jacks. The salesperson said that we didn't need them. We previously had a 35' TT with manual jacks. The salesperson said that because we have 4 tires on class C as opposed to the TT with 2 tires, no jacks were needed. Any suggestions either for or against having them installed

Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Jacks or not your coach needs to be level. Purchase some stackable leveling blocks and a good carpenters level at least 24 inches long.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
My last motorhome was a class C (2016 Coachman Leprechaun 319DS), and it did not come with leveling jacks. The coach was more stable than any previous travel trailer I had owned, but as I get older it gets to be more of a pain to manually level a unit. I did end up putting levelers on (HWH brand, with kick-down jacks due to the low clearance on the class C). It made the leveling process infinitely easier (and my wallet thousands of dollars lighter). They did, however, add a bit of weight to the coach, which reduced the already limited cargo carrying capacity.

Was I glad I did it? Yes. The problem, which is not unique to me, is that I ended up trading the class C in for my current Thor class A, and didn't really get any more in trade-in for having the levelers on them. I still haven't learned to stay away from the RV shows during the winter!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could also put some scissor jacks on your class C for less $$ than the power jacks. Granted you'd be using human power instead of hydraulic..

(I put some on our Axis--similar frame to a class C)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #5

THOR #6597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
My last motorhome was a class C (2016 Coachman Leprechaun 319DS), and it did not come with leveling jacks. The coach was more stable than any previous travel trailer I had owned, but as I get older it gets to be more of a pain to manually level a unit. I did end up putting levelers on (HWH brand, with kick-down jacks due to the low clearance on the class C). It made the leveling process infinitely easier (and my wallet thousands of dollars lighter). They did, however, add a bit of weight to the coach, which reduced the already limited cargo carrying capacity.

Was I glad I did it? Yes. The problem, which is not unique to me, is that I ended up trading the class C in for my current Thor class A, and didn't really get any more in trade-in for having the levelers on them. I still haven't learned to stay away from the RV shows during the winter!

We had our TT from July to October and upgraded to the Class C. My ultimate goal is to have a 40-45' class A. Afraid to go to Camping world to even shop for supplies. The $5.00 pack of toilet paper might wind up coming with a Thor Venetian for a "few extra bucks"
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #6

THOR #6597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Jacks or not your coach needs to be level. Purchase some stackable leveling blocks and a good carpenters level at least 24 inches long.

We used the "lego" type blocks the last time, but I didn't know if we still needed jacks.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandart
I didn't know if we still needed jacks.
You only need jacks (power or crank down stabilizing ones) if you are not satisfied with how stable you think the coach is when you're camping. Does it rock/wiggle when you walk around? Is that enough to wake someone if someone else happened to use the restroom at night? etc.

In our case I find that the E-350 chassis is pretty "wiggly" when parked. Putting the scissor jacks on really helped calm down some of that (I don't use the scissors to level, just to stabilize. We first use the lego blocks and then lower the jacks).
Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #8

THOR #6597
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You only need jacks (power or crank down stabilizing ones) if you are not satisfied with how stable you think the coach is when you're camping. Does it rock/wiggle when you walk around? Is that enough to wake someone if someone else happened to use the restroom at night? etc.

We have only spent 3 nights in it so far. Need to give it some time to see if we can tolerate the rocking.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3441
I just went with the Quadra - big foot leveling system, Great sales experience and even better installation, you won't be disappointed
Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I bookmarked their website. Sounds like a possible upgrade in the future.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We had HWH kick down levelers installed when our Vegas 25.2 was new. We like the stability as well as the leveling aspect.

We know we won't get much if any of our expense back, but we intend to keep our RV for a long time, and we have already enjoyed many nights in our first almost two years.

Many folks get along just fine leveling with blocks. For us, and the way we travel, it was worth the cost. Your results may vary...
Old 03-04-2017, 02:16 AM   #12

THOR #5196
If you are only wanting to stabilize the coach then scissor jacks would be the least expensive way to go. You can level the coach with blocks and then use the jacks to hold it steady.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #13

State: Idaho
THOR #6809
Question Vegas Levelers

Since the 24.1 Vegas is tilted forward, I purchased four scissor levelers. They have 4.5 inches of clearance when retracted and lots of holes (presumably for mounting. Would there be enough clearance to install them and head on down the road?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I have 4 scissor jacks installed on our 24.1. Look around here I've posted pics
Here they are
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=56257
Old 04-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Our class c Chateau 31W came standard with auto leveling, and now I would not have a rv without them. After years of TT and 5rs they always wiggled but with auto leveling it is nice and solid and easy.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #16

State: Idaho
THOR #6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I have 4 scissor jacks installed on our 24.1. Look around here I've posted pics
Here they are
Sizzer jacks - Thor Forums
Most do-able with a good welder. Thank you for the great pics.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #17

Model: Windsport. 35M
THOR #6199
When I had my Freedom Elite 29 FE, I did not have automatic levelers. I was told did not need them also. Without jacks, coach was not stable. Not all campgrounds or rest areas are level. Had to manually level to run refrigerator. Tried using jacks but they r a pain and add weight too. Our Windsport 35M came with them. What a difference. In my opinion auto levelers are worth the extra cost and weight. I would have put them on my 29FE if I had not bought the Windsport.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #18

THOR #5196
If you install the scissor jacks do your arms a favor and get the adapter that fits in a cordless drill!!! Super quick and easy, just need to remember a charger. You can get inexpensive cordless drills at Harbor Freight and leave it in the coach.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Each set of two jacks comes with a crank handle. I just sawed off the end of one to use with our cordless drill.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #20

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandart View Post
Our 2017 Freedom Elite FE 30 did not come with any type of leveling jacks. The salesperson said that we didn't need them. We previously had a 35' TT with manual jacks. The salesperson said that because we have 4 tires on class C as opposed to the TT with 2 tires, no jacks were needed. Any suggestions either for or against having them installed

My husband uses leaving blocks. And cocks the wheels. Works great.
We have freedom elite he 2017