Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Indiana
THOR #20004
Little 24.1 slideout

Hi all, just a couple questions on this little electric slide.
Does it need a travel lock? I used one on my previous full wall hydraulic slide but not sure I need one with the electric. No mention of it in the manual but there was a lock in the unit.
ALSO, and more importantly, there doesn’t seem to be any lockout for the room slide. Ignition doesn’t need to be on, emergency brake doesn’t need to be on. All you need is 12 volts. I don’t like that, stuff happens. You’ve got you table out and somebody starts playing with buttons and runs the slide in..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07A36258-B3AE-4430-BE65-D4CBFF700C7E.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	26733  

Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If it came with a lock: it wouldn't hurt anything to use it.
But I would imagine that the electric motors should provide plenty of resistance to any movement when they're not actually getting any power...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If someone was tall enough to reach that switch and strong enough to hold it pressed, and obtuse enough to not see within the 15 seconds or so of hearing the noise and seeing the side of the house move, the damage about to be done...
They need their ass kicked and never seen again. I don't think slide lock would prevent damage in this instance, and might cause more.

It would be very very easy easy to add a key switch like the overhead bed has.

A key switch on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Jameco-Valuep...2878012&sr=8-6

It would he even 3asier to tie the slide switch into the existing overhead bed keyed switch.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You could always put up a sign by it:
"If you mess with this switch: the consequences will be horrible!"
Old 10-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If someone was tall enough to reach that switch and strong enough to hold it pressed, and obtuse enough to not see within the 15 seconds or so of hearing the noise and seeing the side of the house move, the damage about to be done...
They need their ass kicked and never seen again. I don't think slide lock would prevent damage in this instance, and might cause more.

It would be very very easy easy to add a key switch like the overhead bed has.

A key switch on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Jameco-Valuep...2878012&sr=8-6

It would he even 3asier to tie the slide switch into the existing overhead bed keyed switch.
Thanks duck face. I am sure it’s unlikely that a mishap could occur. The close lock pictured is to prevent the slid from moving out while on the road..
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #6

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If it came with a lock: it wouldn't hurt anything to use it.
But I would imagine that the electric motors should provide plenty of resistance to any movement when they're not actually getting any power...
It will only hurt when I forget to take it out before extending the slide. I’m with you, I think electric slides are less like to move out very quickly. I did have an older MH where the 16’ slide did start moving out as I was traveling I-80 just west of SLC..Hydraulic hose burst.. That was a blast!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How far out did it move?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
In fairness, I did drive my 24.1 about 500 feet down route 66 with the slide out....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #9

THOR #20004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How far out did it move?
It was a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain that had the bays attached to the slide room when extended. Handy feature to keep you from having to duck under the slide to get at you bay doors. The slide was out all the way be the time I got it off the side of the highway. Problem was the bank of bays were flapping around on a hinged end while the other end had sheered the bolts.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodIndy View Post
Does it need a travel lock? I used one on my previous full wall hydraulic slide but not sure I need one with the electric. No mention of it in the manual but there was a lock in the unit.
ALSO, and more importantly, there doesn’t seem to be any lockout for the room slide. Ignition doesn’t need to be on, emergency brake doesn’t need to be on. All you need is 12 volts. I don’t like that, stuff happens. You’ve got you table out and somebody starts playing with buttons and runs the slide in..
No need to use the locking device unless you have a slide motor failure. The motors keep it locked in as you travel.

Your slide does have a lockout - you can't move it with the engine running.

You should never move a slide in or out without verifying the way is clear for the slide to move - that should be obvious to the operator and shouldn't need an overly complicated lockout implemented to prevent that from occurring.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:11 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just finishing up 6 seasons with ours and no slide lock used ever. There was one in the RV when delivered to us but I don't even know where that is now LOL buried in a storage bay somewhere.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:43 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Didn't you end up using it as a shim on top of your leveling blocks?
Old 10-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #13

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodIndy View Post
I know many will say, no need to use the slide lockout. I am looking at this for a different perspective. I ask, the what if question? 1) what is the pros and cons of not using 2) what if I get in an accident and the RV rolls? 3) can something occur with the power or controls that would enable the motors to engage or disengage, causing movement.

Since I do not know the answers to these questions, I use two lockouts, one of each end. Yep, ultra-conservative but when it comes to safety, I prefer to take the high road.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #14
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
On small slides they are not needed. My large, back of driver to bed in back, Thor Palazzo 33.2 I use two. A lot of stress on the motor gears going through corners. This slide has the dinette, counter with sink and cabinets, home fridge, pantry, and the washer and dryer. If it is long and heavy, use the slide lock(s). My bedroom is short and light. The way it is designed you could not use one on it.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
On small slides they are not needed. My large, back of driver to bed in back, Thor Palazzo 33.2 I use two. A lot of stress on the motor gears going through corners. This slide has the dinette, counter with sink and cabinets, home fridge, pantry, and the washer and dryer. If it is long and heavy, use the slide lock(s). My bedroom is short and light. The way it is designed you could not use one on it.
I have a 30 footer with a full slide on driver side with refrigerator, stove, sofa along with H2O heater. I have already replaced both motors (I narrowed down to bad encoder in motor) in my 2016. I have only used the slide 12 times. A lot of load bearing down on the slide, thus my reason for two slide locks.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:24 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Slide Lock

Quit using it after I realized that it put too much stress on the structure. Not needed.

Soon to be Ex-Californian
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote