Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2023, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Alaska
THOR #7304
2023 Hurricane king pin issue

Just purchased a 2023 Hurricane 34R and took in for alignment the next day.
Shop said king pins were bad, weren't greased...showed me the movement. Dealer had no success trying to get Ford to replace...elevated to Thor corporate still having a difficult time.

Anyone have this problem? Solution?Click image for larger version

Name:	20230520_130211.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	42428

Old 06-17-2023, 09:02 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Nick View Post
Shop said king pins were bad, weren't greased...showed me the movement. Dealer had no success trying to get Ford to replace...elevated to Thor corporate still having a difficult time.

Anyone have this problem? Solution?Attachment 42428
It is a Ford F-53 chassis. Thor MC has nothing to do with the chassis. It is assembled by Detroit Chassis LLC in Detroit and modified by MORryde in Elkhart. Thor MC does not have the certification to do anything to the Ford Chassis. Take to a Ford Commercial Truck Dealer, as it is under a 3 year Ford warranty. The location finder is in the back of your Ford Chassis manual.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:34 PM   #3

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:

It's been said that if you put grease in the king pins the play goes away. Some people say filling pins with weight off of front end and others fill while on the ground. Either way try adding grease to the king pins. Any reason you are having a 2023 front end aligned? Good luck
Old 06-17-2023, 10:16 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
It's been said that if you put grease in the king pins the play goes away. Some people say filling pins with weight off of front end and others fill while on the ground. Either way try adding grease to the king pins. Any reason you are having a 2023 front end aligned? Good luck
To properly grease king pins the weight has to be off the pins. IE; front tires off ground. You need to contact the Ford Motor Coach people. No way king pins should be bad on a 2023 unit.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:24 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Exclamation

Quote:

I had the exact same problem on my 2018 ACE 30.3. I purchased last September with only 3900 miles. When I took it to camping world for the towbar installation on my TOAD. The RV was all over the place on the road. So, my next stop was to get an alignment. We happen to have an RV / Truck repair shop here in Cedar Rapids that will do alignments. When they put it on the rack, they found that the kingpin bushings were too loose to align. The kingpin bushings were not properly greased. When they showed me the play, I could see that there was no visible grease or even a "wet" looking spot that should have been apparent in properly greased bushings. Since my unit was well out of warrantee, I had no choice but to pay for the kingpin bushing replacement myself. While it was in the shop, I also had a Safe-t-steer installed. The combination of the Kingpin bushing fix and the Safe-t-steer made the RV much more manageable however, it can still be a handful to keep in the lane on windy days. So, I am proceeding on an incremental approach to deal with the remaining handling issues. I just did the Cheep Handling fix on both the front and rear sway bars. Just moving the to the other hole on the rear can be done without changing the geometry of the sway bar. The front sway bars either need the CHF brackets or longer links. Since you have a 2023 model you likely do not need to worry about the CHF since Ford is installing larger sway bars with the new V8 engine. Once I have evaluated the effect of the CHF, my next two things to look into are a rear track bar and Koni shocks. The shocks are last because I have not noticed any shock related handling issues.

In my opinion, which will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks when you hand them $10.00, this is something that should be covered under warrantee as long as you are still within the warrantee time and mileage limits.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:37 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
No excuses.
The shop you're at is not authorized to replace and they're not telling you the simple
'I'm not authorized'
For whatever reason they've thought up.

Tell your guy to try greasing first('ruined' is relative and I sincerely doubt the ruined diagnosis).
Then
You might/maybe/possibly have to travel to get to a Ford shop.
Plan ahead.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:30 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
My F-53 chassis was built in February 2019
My Hurricane 29m body was installed in June 2020
I purchased it (used) in November 2020 with 1400 miles
I drove it to Texas and back and the steering wandered terribly the whole way
I got back home and took it to an alignment shop, he said alignment was good but kingpins had no grease!
He greased them and when I left his shop it was like driving a different vehicle! A BIG improvement.
At that point the coach had a little over 6000 miles and kingpins were not “ruined”
I keep it greased myself now and at 26,000 miles all is still good.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Same experience here.
Chassis finished by Ford on 02/2020 and MH finished by Thor on 06/2020 (2021 model).
I drove it for one year and at the beginning of second year I went to lub the front axle and found out there was little old grease that came out and the steering wheel became way less heavy after the lub job.
Since then I'm doing that every year at the beginning of the season so ~6000 miles between jobs.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote