Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian M37
State: North Carolina
THOR #16170
Hi Rook,
I bought a new 2018 Venetian M37 from CW Garner in July. I took a 7,000 mile maiden voyage cross country a week later and had what I consider normal teething issues with a new coach. The most major issue we had was a failure of the smart wheel clock spring, which left us without wipers, horn or cruise control. 4 days in Barstow, CA waiting on parts resolved the issue, along with an exploded AC compressor.

Other issues that cropped up on the way home were a cracked coolant tank, minor trim issues, a leaking full wall slide and the dreaded leaking bays. CW Garner just replaced all the bay floors and installed new larger seals from Thor last week which seems to have resolved the issue.

The slide leak persists, so we will be trekking to the Thor factory in February to have that repaired, along with some other minor issues (Andersen valve, leaking fridge water line, dash hvac temp knob broken). Feel free to reach out if you need anything since you're local.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When did Thor start doing a transferable warranty? Isn’t the factory warranty original owner only? How would you get the benefit of three months remaining?
Old 12-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #23

THOR #17604
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
When did Thor start doing a transferable warranty? Isn’t the factory warranty original owner only? How would you get the benefit of three months remaining?
Not sure *when* but here is from the Thor slide deck.

I called their Customer Service to confirm the transfer too. It follows the VIN/Serial - so there is nothing the consumer really needs to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor-warranty.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	21949  
Old 12-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #24
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rook View Post
Not sure *when* but here is from the Thor slide deck.

I called their Customer Service to confirm the transfer too. It follows the VIN/Serial - so there is nothing the consumer really needs to do.
Ok, that might be something on the Diesels. I do not believe the warranty on the gas units is transferable. I know the warranty on my Challenger specifically said original owner, or words to that effect.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I find it difficult to think that no others 'owners' down the line, whether the next month or many months later, would not have the same warranty that comes with the coach...

but, I'll also say that the factories, while they have their 'own' warranties, use many, many products, engines, transmissions, appliances, electronics, etc., within their coaches and those products themselves EACH come with their own warranties, many even exceeding the 'factory' warranty.

I've found that the factory warranty basically is reference to 'their' build of the coach, and much of the coach, itself, is already warrantied by each individual product, itself. The factory will certainly 'help' you during the first year, or during the warranty timeframe, to expedite those warranty issues, but afterwards you may still have many warranties that you have to handle claims for yourself.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forester 3051SF
THOR #17676
Quote:
Originally Posted by rook View Post
Hey all! So, we fired down!

Camping World agreed to fix some of the items, the others I will have to take to service to have warranty work done (still under factory warranty for another 3 months).

The GM of Camping World avoided us like the plague. When my wife requested for him to greet us, it became obvious he didn't want this deal to go through. However, the consignee was ready to be done (it sat on the lot for > 60 days).

Other than the GM being a turd, the deal went through smoothly. The techs at Camping World Garner were great, very friendly and helpful. However, now that I have had it a couple of days, it is obvious attention to detail has been missed -- not their fault, they have to turn and burn through these units.

The paint needs some TLC, I plan to give the unit a proper detail (there goes my day!).

We are taking it out on a little family vacation this weekend! Very excited about 2020!
Hi Rook,

The DW and I were in the area this week and went to look at your unit (of course they told us deal pending). Anyway, would you mind sharing what you actually paid? We like the layout and are keeping an eye out for a pre-owned one in the future.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #27

THOR #17676
Not sure why this is not moving to the top of the forum so bump.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #28

THOR #17604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROBJR813 View Post
Hi Rook,

The DW and I were in the area this week and went to look at your unit (of course they told us deal pending). Anyway, would you mind sharing what you actually paid? We like the layout and are keeping an eye out for a pre-owned one in the future.
Hey - If you are local and want to check it out again let me know. Now that I have had > 3 hours with the coach, I have obviously found more things with it (love and not so much love)

They were asking 219k. I used RVTrader to search across the US for the exact same floor plan. Luckily or unluckily, Thor stopped making the Venetian J40 -- literally was a model that lasted < 1 year. Maybe this is something Thor does with the Venetian?

Anyway, so I found a couple of *new* units for 209k - however when I pulled the build-sheets, there some obviously missing features in the less expensive units. Either way, I didn't know of CW or the cosigner would spend the time to look into that much detail. I also found *used* units in Flordia, again, they were asking 207-209k.

I wanted to work an OTD price, I had a trade, 34TSB TT. I also didn't want to walk out of there without a warranty.

The trade had negative equity, and CW wanted to sell me their warranty for $9800 -- and this didn't cover the engine/chassis and was only for 4 years.

Previously, when shopping for my TT, I researched warranty companies, so I knew the CW warranty was alright, same with cornerstone, etc. I also inquired about Wholesale Warranties. I decided to reach out to Wholesale again to get their quote. For 7 years, tip to tail warranty, it was $7800, it just does not cover the wear parts + exhaust.

Armed with these details, I went in offering, 200K for the coach w/ all the bits the cosigner left on the coach ( for example, roadmaster nighthawk - to pull the toad ).

I suspected CW inflated the cost of their warranty, so at the very end of the deal -- literally signing papers, I told them I wanted to self warranty, and to remove their warranty. As previously stated, I made sure the factory warranty was transferable, so I am good until 04/06/2020 (the only warranty Thor doesn't transfer is seals and adjustments to the cabinets).

Also, before signing papers, I went to CW's website to see what interest rates were, both my wife and I have excellent credit, our DTI is not an issue, so we should get the best rate.

However, CW attempted to throw an additional point of interest at us (more than likely to get a kickback from the bank). Again, armed with these details, we told them, there is no reason for us to have such a high interest rate... We were able to get an interest rate close to what we have on our home (not anymore as we just refinanced, but pretty damn close).

Alright, long story short we were OTD at 212K - Negative equity, bullshit fees, taxes (those could be lumped into the BS fees ), and repairs on our trade-in.

If you are just interested in coach, the coach sell price was ~200K OTD

Sorry for being long winded, maybe it will help someone in the future...
Old 12-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #29

THOR #17676
Thanks for the great reply, Rook!

We live in Kitty Hawk, but were in the area for Christmas as both of our families are in the Raleigh area.

Appreciate the details. I am negative on the Class C that I purchased through CW back in 2016. Made a lot of mistakes with that purchase.

I didn't realize they stopped making the J40 layout. That is by far the best one for a family (IMO) in the Venetian.

We are also looking at pre-owned Aria 4000s which is one level below the venetian in terms of price range. Not in a hurry either.

Thanks again for your reply.