Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Chassis ground location?

I am converting over to lithium batteries. I am going to install the Victron BM but I havent found where the ground off the battery connects to the chassis so I can position the shunt. I crawled around underneath but couldnt find anything I could identify. The coach is a 2016 FW 35SK. Batteries under the step in this configuration. Will plug and play to BB 100 ah in parallel.

Thanks for any thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190212_154736.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	15781  

Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Did you try to trace the negative cable?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Did you try to trace the negative cable?
Yes and No. You see there are two ground cables coming off the battery on the left. Yes it is red but not hot. One of those two has got to go to the chassis ground but they get lost in cable management and zip ties. My have to just trial and error it unless there is a way to tell with a voltmeter, etc.

My hunch is the thicker black one with professional heat shrink. The other is a jumper from the right. The red one I believe was a camping world hack when they replaced the fryed inverter but..... that is a hunch. Wondering why the ground off the battery would make any other stops before the chassis ground.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Mine looks simular to yours. Go under RV and took on the frame (behind yhour batteries) for the big ground wire. That where I would hook mine up.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Wouldn't the BM shunt have to be between both of the negative battery cables and the battery terminal? The only cable that should be on the battery terminal itself would be the one that connects the 2 battery negative terminals together.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
Yes and No. You see there are two ground cables coming off the battery on the left. Yes it is red but not hot. One of those two has got to go to the chassis ground but they get lost in cable management and zip ties. My have to just trial and error it unless there is a way to tell with a voltmeter, etc.

My hunch is the thicker black one with professional heat shrink. The other is a jumper from the right. The red one I believe was a camping world hack when they replaced the fryed inverter but..... that is a hunch. Wondering why the ground off the battery would make any other stops before the chassis ground.
On my coach there are two battery bank grounds: one goes directly to the right chassis rail and the other goes to the inverter's negative terminal (separate from the inverter's chassis ground - 8ga bare wire).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 AM   #7

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Wouldn't the BM shunt have to be between both of the negative battery cables and the battery terminal? The only cable that should be on the battery terminal itself would be the one that connects the 2 battery negative terminals together.
Yes, that is my understanding. Remove the Neg from the chassis and insert shunt bar between them. Then put the inverter on the shut as well (but not on the same side as the battery mount so it can read it as well).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #8

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
On my coach there are two battery bank grounds: one goes directly to the right chassis rail and the other goes to the inverter's negative terminal (separate from the inverter's chassis ground - 8ga bare wire).
Yes, you would have to remove this and rebolt to the correct side of the shunt so it can read this as well.

My inverter is grounded to the buss bar next to the inverter / fuse box (I installed myself) but I have not looked to see where that buss bar is grounded at..... I will have to dig deeper when it warms up outside.

I know directly under this comparment is my generator and I seen that ground point but not sure if it had a 2nd wire attached to it or not.

I will be installing a shunt once Install my solar this spring.