Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
No, but I can't exactly say I'd know what the heck I was looking for and how to find it!
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...7&d=1543809584

Old 10-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #22

THOR #16919
On our Motorhome the grease boot on #8 in the diagram was cracked and dry with no grease when new. Probably due to the fact that the RV was on the lot in the hot Arizona weather for the better part of a year. All the other lubrication points took plenty of grease. If you hear popping and clunking underneath you in the cab then it could be time for a lube job. Metal on metal needs lubrication. I hope this solves your problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #23

THOR #16919
Quote:
My dealer won't even look at anything to do with the chassis, so I've got to make an appointment with a Ford Truck dealer for this AND my AC problem. Let us know what you find out. It could make it a lot easier to describe what they might be looking for.

Thanks!
Your RV Dealer is NOT who you want working on the cab and chassis. Ford is the correct place to take your RV for cab and chassis work. The cab, chassis, engine, driveline, suspension is all under factory warranty by Ford.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
When we had our 2017 axis it also had an occasional popping in the front end, it wasn't until I began the installation of our aftermarket front anti-sway bar that I found a nut missing from one of the end link attachments to the factory anti-sway bar. This caused the anti-sway bar to bind occasionally on the end link bolt, and it would pop when it became free.
The OEM end links are undersized on the E450 chassis
I added the Helwig anti-sway bar and was advised to include the Moog End Links which are much more robust than stock. They were $25 each, so it was cheap insurance.

The one on this Forum who advised me...broke a stock end link on a rough stretch of road after the Helwig anti-sway bar install.

PS-I've got two barely used (4,000 miles) OEM end links available for free. PM me if you want them.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The OEM end links are undersized on the E450 chassis
I added the Helwig anti-sway bar and was advised to include the Moog End Links which are much more robust than stock. They were $25 each, so it was cheap insurance.

The one on this Forum who advised me...broke a stock end link on a rough stretch of road after the Helwig anti-sway bar install.

PS-I've got two barely used (4,000 miles) OEM end links available for free. PM me if you want them.
That could have been me that you mentioned as I broke some links on my Vegas with that has the 350 chassis awhile back.
Just wanted to mention that if you have the Helwig sway bar check to make sure they the bar links are still tight after a trip. While under there recently checking brake pads, I noticed mine had loosen on both ends of the bar. i.e. the nuts had backed off a turn or two and these are flanged lock nuts. I have tighten them back with Loctite, but will most likely add some more lock nuts to as jam nuts. Seems to be a lot of stress on these links.

Anddddd............... loose links make popping sounds.

Also, where did you get your HD Moog links?
Thanks and happy trails
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #26

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
That could have been me that you mentioned as I broke some links on my Vegas with that has the 350 chassis awhile back.
Just wanted to mention that if you have the Helwig sway bar check to make sure they the bar links are still tight after a trip. While under there recently checking brake pads, I noticed mine had loosen on both ends of the bar. i.e. the nuts had backed off a turn or two and these are flanged lock nuts. I have tighten them back with Loctite, but will most likely add some more lock nuts to as jam nuts. Seems to be a lot of stress on these links.

Anddddd............... loose links make popping sounds.

Also, where did you get your HD Moog links?
Thanks and happy trails

Hwere you go...

Moog K750322 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit
Old 10-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
clanking noise

do you tow a vehicle, it might be the hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	21153  
Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #28

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
do you tow a vehicle, it might be the hitch
No, no tow. Definitely coming from suspension directly under us as we can sometimes feel it with our feet.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #29

THOR #16919
Quote:
In our Vegas, we get a VERY loud pop, which sometimes we can feel with our feet through the floorboard. Imagine someone hitting a 2x4 with a hammer right next to your head; that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Usually, this occurs only once and most often, right at the beginning of a trip. However, on our recent trip, we were forced to drive for about three miles on a very rough, washboard at times, gravel road. The popping was incredibly frequent on this road, but MUCH lower in volume. As soon as we returned to pavement, the popping stopped. This obviously points us to something in the suspension, but we've not heard anyone who has described such an issue.

We DO have Sumo Springs on our unit, but other than that, our suspension is stock.

Anyone else have anything like this?
Here’s a video that may help with the situation that you describe...
Old 10-29-2019, 11:23 PM   #30

THOR #16919
Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 AM   #31

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Thanks for the diagram. This will help! That video made me cringe, though. The guy was trying to do the right thing but had no idea what the parts were called. NOT a great way to reach an audience and fill them with confidence that you know what the hell you are doing. An ignorant person like myself would greatly appreciate if he knew the part names so I can learn them too!
Old 10-30-2019, 03:16 AM   #32

THOR #16919
Ya sorry about that video. I should’ve watched it through before attaching it. Regardless of what the name of the different parts though you need to get under there and inspect those areas. It’s always good to check them if you hear noise or at least when doing your oil and filter servicing. If those black rubber grease boots aren’t full then you’re going to have metal on metal. If you fill them until the grease sweeps out then that’s what you want. Just use a rag and wipe the excess off. I usually will use the greasy rag to rub on the metal linkages as well. If you don’t feel comfortable doing the lube yourself then have a service center or mechanic do it for you. Maybe you have a friend that has a grease gun who could do it for you. Use the diagram I put on here to find the areas to inspect. Good luck
Old 10-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #33

THOR #16919
Quote:
Here’s a video that may help with the situation that you describe...
I attached this video without previewing it beforehand. For that I am sorry. This video is horrible and an example of how NOT to produce an educational video. I would appreciate it if the administrators could delete this post from the thread or give me directions on how I could delete it.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #34

THOR #15054
Quote:
Ya sorry about that video. I should’ve watched it through before attaching it. Regardless of what the name of the different parts though you need to get under there and inspect those areas. It’s always good to check them if you hear noise or at least when doing your oil and filter servicing. If those black rubber grease boots aren’t full then you’re going to have metal on metal. If you fill them until the grease sweeps out then that’s what you want. Just use a rag and wipe the excess off. I usually will use the greasy rag to rub on the metal linkages as well. If you don’t feel comfortable doing the lube yourself then have a service center or mechanic do it for you. Maybe you have a friend that has a grease gun who could do it for you. Use the diagram I put on here to find the areas to inspect. Good luck
It's flipping 35 degrees and snowing and raining in Michigan right now! (I actually climbed under it yesterday, but it was a balmy 42 then!) I am not optimistic that the weather will get much better before we leave next Monday, but if not, I'll bring a grease gun with me and get it in Jacksonville when we arrive!!!

Thanks, again. It is much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:45 AM   #35

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
On our Motorhome the grease boot on #8 in the diagram was cracked and dry with no grease when new. Probably due to the fact that the RV was on the lot in the hot Arizona weather for the better part of a year. All the other lubrication points took plenty of grease. If you hear popping and clunking underneath you in the cab then it could be time for a lube job. Metal on metal needs lubrication. I hope this solves your problem.
Did the lack of grease cause a rubbing noise when going down the road when the suspension flexes?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:06 AM   #36

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Popping

Just to throw another idea out at you. Our rig is on a F-53 chassis but our "popping" noise started when we hit a hard bump on a SoCal highway. Long story short, found out that a weld on the right front brace area directly under the passenger's foot area broke. Many people opined that it was bushings, loose nuts, etc. Rig has 10000 miles on it by the way. Rewelded and the popping noise is gone.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #37

THOR #9721
Axis earl that’s a good idea to check! I’ll take a look there.

Curious, has anyone here replaced the drag linkage with a Motorcraft MDOE-35?

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/b...craft/mimdoe35
RV Travel Bug
Old 03-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #38

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
What is the point of the new drag link?
Old 03-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #39

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Did the lack of grease cause a rubbing noise when going down the road when the suspension flexes?
Lack of grease can cause noise. I first noticed it when I was turning to the left. Those grease areas are pretty easy to inspect and it would be a good idea to check or have them checked periodically. Mine just happened to be cracked so it wouldn't even hold grease. The other grease areas in the front suspension all took grease as well.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #40

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
What is the point of the new drag link?
My thought was that the new drag link would be designed differently than the stock one to prevent this condition happening again. I was curious if anyone tried it and if it made a difference.

Quote:
Lack of grease can cause noise. I first noticed it when I was turning to the left. Those grease areas are pretty easy to inspect and it would be a good idea to check or have them checked periodically. Mine just happened to be cracked so it wouldn't even hold grease. The other grease areas in the front suspension all took grease as well.
Yes, turning left I definitely notice it and it almost goes away when performing a right turn. Thanks for the insight!
RV Travel Bug