Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magellan
State: Florida
THOR #6001
Love Bugs

We went to DW's sisters for 5 days in Lake Placid (Florida). With about 70 miles to go we got swarmed for the rest of the way. I tried using the wipers with allot of washer fluid which didn't help much, think it made it worse. Once there i cleaned the front up and brushed the love bugs which were many off of the radiator(s) fins. Realizing i would have the same experience for our return trip home i tried a different approach. I didn't use the wipers or washer for most of the way and just let em splat and some would slide off. When i did use the wiper towards the end i didn't use the washer as i didnt want washer fluid mixed with bug goo going down the side of the coach. Once home and unloaded it took me almost an hour to get 98% clean. I still have to do the radiators, get the front better, ac covers and a good look at everything. I did apply a coat of wax to the front cap without noticeable results before each trip. Guess its time to try some rejex.

I'm thinking i can get a screen kit and mount it to the cap supports under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104 2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	17016  

bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Screen over the radiator works well. You can wire tie it in and throw it away cheaply. Windex works wonders on those "glue eating" critters. Spray it on, let it soak a little, don't let it dry, then wash it off with a semi-stiff made for paint car washing brush. The sooner you attack them the better. Many of the rest stops (especially on the turnpike) have special spray stations you can drive through with wipers going that washes them off the windshield. I think they eat glue for dinner with a lifetime goal of becoming a permanent resident to a vehicle. If you leave them on too long, they can take paint off with their removal.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We had a million love bugs on Vegas from track to home (51 miles) Saturday. There were so many the front of unit smelled like aquarium with no water in it.

They were also on racecar windshield during runs Saturday before car lost wheel and ran tree over.

I learned a long time ago to use Rain X on glass and the green stuff in windshield washer. I also never use wipers unless absolutely needed. Only smears and makes things worse.

Do not let them bake too long, best to get off ASAP. I cleaned them that afternoon. Never forget coolers up front, radiator, trans cooler, etc. They will plug them up. I have had luck with just washing them out with sweeper nozzle.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

Model: 34J Windsport
State: Louisiana
THOR #15123
I thought I had seen a lot of Love Bugs on my MH...but Damn that a lot of Bugs. That would drive me crazy, until it was clean...

I spend two hours on front end of mine making sure its C L E A N...OCD I guess...
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
If you have any idea you'll be hitting those suckers, spray the front of the RV with Pam. They'll rinse right off. Use RainX on the windshield.

We had a rental car agency in Tampa for a number of years and used Pam on the front during love bug season. Works like a charm and won't hurt the finish.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbreaux View Post
I thought I had seen a lot of Love Bugs on my MH...but Damn that a lot of Bugs. That would drive me crazy, until it was clean...

I spend two hours on front end of mine making sure its C L E A N...OCD I guess...
That's not so bad. I've seen the front so bad you couldn't tell the color of the car.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Try the Guntersville Causeway on a motorcycle during Love Bug season. I still smell them when I think about it. Thankfully my helmet had a windshield, but when i got acrossed the causeway, I had to stop and wash my helmet.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Nothing to love about love bugs. Some news article said the population is decreasing overall, but you found an area where they still flourish. Nasty!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lovebugs.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	17025  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:40 AM   #9

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Wet dryer sheets will dissolve and remove the love bugs. The dryer sheets will, however, leave a residue that requires soapy water to remove. But, overall it’s a relatively easy way to clean off the nasty little buggers.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Today while getting ready to put the spring coat of wax on the MH I discovered a cleaner that removed the bugs in a hurry and also cleans the decals up nicely. However it did nothing to removing oxidation which was a disappointment. I have dealt with love bugs years ago and I think this would be worth a shot. Its called "Star Brite RV Guard". It also claims bugs won't stick once its applied.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556927530
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3022.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	17087  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #11
Bum

Model: Chateau 22B
THOR #14231
The residue from the love bugs will damage the paint so you should get them off as soon as possible. We live in Florida and have to keep a bucket of soapy water in the garage to wipe them off every day in May and September, if they are heavy I use Bugs B Gone, it melts them away and you can wash them off with your normal washing brush, been using it for years and it's also good on radiators and tar.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #12

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Wet dryer sheets will dissolve and remove the love bugs. The dryer sheets will, however, leave a residue that requires soapy water to remove. But, overall it’s a relatively easy way to clean off the nasty little buggers.
I second the dryer sheets but I attach them to a swiffer like unit so i can get up high. You definitely need to wash after using them.

Jeff
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

THOR #11672
Love Bugs

Easy cleaning. Run water over whatever you want to clean, windshield or body. Take USED DRYER SHEETS and rub off bugs. Works like a dream.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #14

Model: Venetian A40
THOR #12058
Norwex makes a scrubby cloth that is a miracle worker. It has a scrub like texture but is a pliable rag that I drape over an extended squeegee for anything out of reach.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #15

THOR #11672
Love Bugs

Thanks. I still think you should try the used dryer sheets. Comes right off without scrubbing and you could put on end of anything with long handle.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #16

THOR #13985
Two weeks ago went from Ft Myers to Sanford. Had to stop in LaBelle and Lake Placid to clean the windshield. Windshield was pre-treated with rain-x. HOT water and a wash mitt did the trick.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:00 AM   #17

Model: Tuscany
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1482
Our rig looked like the one on the photo after driving north from Ruskin FL for two hours. We stopped at a rest stop and they had a water spigot available. My Google Queen found a post suggesting baking soda (not powder) and water. Used my extendable brush and dipped in the water bucket then a sprinkled on some baking soda. Worked like a charm. Needed to rinse after using but the bugs and goo came off easy.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #18

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Schilling View Post
Our rig looked like the one on the photo after driving north from Ruskin FL for two hours. We stopped at a rest stop and they had a water spigot available. My Google Queen found a post suggesting baking soda (not powder) and water. Used my extendable brush and dipped in the water bucket then a sprinkled on some baking soda. Worked like a charm. Needed to rinse after using but the bugs and goo came off easy.

Just like forging iron...stick it while it's hot. The sooner you get them off...the better. I think they eat glue or pine sap just before the hit the freeway in search of their next life. "There's a motorhome...lets go to California".
Old 05-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Our trip down to Fort Wilderness a few weeks ago was love bug city. Fortunately, it seemed like north of Orlando (our route ) was much better than south or west of Orlando. We saw a few rigs at FW that were covered to the point where it was hard to tell what color the RV was.. I have no idea how the drivers could see where they were going.. You could barely see the steering wheel thru the windshield.

Been living in Fla for 24 years and this was the worst I can remember seeing. I heard the same from a lot of central Florida folks as well...

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #20

THOR #11130
They are horrible and the wave is moving further into North Florida and South Georgia. Same for the Gnats...they used to be just a coastal pest. They're taking over the inland now.