Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
The heat from the duct is piped down into the basement from what I was told. You can have them crank it up, fill it up with water and it won't freeze. Just have them drain it out and winterize before you leave. Congrats on the purchase. Ultimately, you're not going to catch everything. I thought I had tore our Challenger apart before signing the papers, so far after the first 2 trips I have about a 12 to 14 item punchlist already started. It's just kind of comes with the territory.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #42

Model: Venetian B42
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5655
Thanks Oldgold and Jamiegeek.

Thanks for the checklist idea. I had seen one online earlier but forgot about it. They do have a very large service center so I guess putting the unit inside is the answer to the extreme weather outside. I have access to indoor storage but not climate controlled so while it will be out of the sun and weather it will not be kept warm during the winter.

My wife wants to take a trip in January with the kids down south. No one will complain about a few days off school in January. How big of an expense/PITA is the winterizing? I could see us doing and undoing several times each winter. Still working but have flexible schedule to allow long weekends anytime.

Can't tell you how excited we are to surprise the kids at Christmas with this new RV. They are going to go nuts until we can use it.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:33 AM   #43

THOR #5536
Winterizing really isn't that bad. Down here most of the time I just hook up an air compressor and blow out the lines. Using the pink stuff never really caught on with us. Although from what I've seen it would be fairly easy because there is a gravity fill on the curb side of the coach. Just empty all of your tanks. Drain the water lines and heater then dump in the antifreeze. There are dials on the street side water compartment to block off the water heater and to put into winterize mode before adding the antifreeze. Then pump it up into the coach. Only thing I have really figured out is the fridge with that water line. I think some people had posted to turn the water line off to the ice maker and let it keep dumping ice until it stops. Or just let it make pink ice slush cubes. I'm sure more experienced people will chime in. I haven't had to winterize this one yet, but it does appear easier than our old toyhauler.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:11 AM   #44
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
After a time or two, winterizing/dewinterizing is about a 15 min task... Either 'the pink stuff' (rv antifreeze) or blowing out lines...
I've tended to blow out lines (but still put antifreeze down drains) for 'milder' freezing temps, and use the antifreeze for 'deep freeze' (Michigan mid-winter).
Either method works.

For winter trips, I've dewinterized once far enough south at rest stop... And winterized on way back north...
I have a compressor on board, so again can use either method.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #45
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post

My wife wants to take a trip in January with the kids down south. No one will complain about a few days off school in January. How big of an expense/PITA is the winterizing? I could see us doing and undoing several times each winter. Still working but have flexible schedule to allow long weekends anytime.

Hoosier 26

First welcome to the forum.

As to winterizing, I tend to winterize my coach about 3 or 4 times every year. I do this because we take trips during the winter and temps here do get well below freezing while the coach is sitting in the driveway. For my Challenger it takes roughly 2.5 gallons of antifreeze for each winterization. The biggest PITA during the process is the ice maker. It takes time to circulate the anti-freeze through that small system. I can get 3 gallons of RV anti freeze from my local Lowes or Walmart for approx 10.00.

For a Challenger PDI make sure they point out the location of the Inverter, AGS, and low point drains. Take a DVD to the PDI so you can verify all AV equipment is connected correctly and functions.

The most important point I will make regarding the PDI is to record any defect found and have the dealer sign that list. Some fit and finish items such as scratches, discoloration of fabrics, chips etc... must be reported within 10 days of delivery or they will not be covered under warranty. Other items such as adjustments to doors, drawers etc... are only covered for the first 90 days of ownership.

Any additional questions feel free to ask.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #46
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Agree: The one trip we took during the winter I dewinterized just prior to leaving, and re-winterized again right when we got home. It really is a 15 minute task once you've done it a few times.

Have the dealer do it, or at least show you how. It is very likely your unit will have a port in the plumbing for winterizing--no need to dump pink stuff in the water tank (just leave that empty).

If you want the basics, read this post: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ific-2448.html
It is specific to my Axis but the concept is the same for all RV's, just the locations of where all the stuff is differs from RV to RV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #47

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
New Challenger

One item I would recommend checking out before you leave the dealer is the windshield wiper system. Operate the wipers at high speed while spraying with a hose. I have had first-hand experience with the wipers stopping, and at 65 mph on a two-lane road in a downpour was not a pleasant experience. I have seen many other posts from other Challenger owners that have experience the same problem. My problem has been resolved, and we are now very happy with our Challenger.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #48

THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by j37genie View Post
One item I would recommend checking out before you leave the dealer is the windshield wiper system. Operate the wipers at high speed while spraying with a hose. I have had first-hand experience with the wipers stopping, and at 65 mph on a two-lane road in a downpour was not a pleasant experience. I have seen many other posts from other Challenger owners that have experience the same problem. My problem has been resolved, and we are now very happy with our Challenger.

I wished I had seen this post before I walked off the lot. That happened to us 2 hours into the trip home from the dealer.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #49

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Hooiser 26 - WELCOME. Read here, read at IRV2 - Thor Owners and reread it all again. We have 28000 miles on our Challenger since April 2015. Some issues but mostly all good. History suggest you'll learn more from informed owners than you will ever learn from a salesman. Also, every time - and I mean every time - we've had a problem, Thor helped us figure out the issue. They've answered the phone every time - even on weekends. As I remind the DW, when you travel down the road in your house at 70 MPH - stuff comes loose and needs to fixed or tightened. Don't get to upset - just figure out how to fix it or tighten it.

One other recommendation I'm sold on - as you near the end of your warranty - make the trip to Thor factory service site in Elkhart, IN. BEST trip we ever made. The team there is beyond great - and you'll leave with all issues fixed or wait until they are done.

Congrats on the new coach - we spend about 7 months a year in ours. We love it.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:48 AM   #50

THOR #5536
Love our Challenger

Anybody ever have the sink fall out yet?
I was washing baby bottles and it just dropped. Sink was about half full on one side. The undermount glued on brackets they used are about the dumbest thing I have seen. We are off on an iffy second trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2658.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	765.6 KB
ID:	3172
Old 10-15-2016, 02:16 AM   #51

THOR #5655
Wow! Thanks for all that info. I am sure the RV community is the best. I have a while to wait and that will be hard. So for now we are buying bedding and kitchen stuff. My wife is busy checking for deals and melting the CC. Oh well.

My next project is to put together a tool kit without spending a fortune. Any ideas for essential tools or parts that I should not travel without would be great. I'm reasonably mechanical but by no means an engine mechanic.

Thanks again. You guys are great.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:53 AM   #52

State: California
THOR #3900
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Anybody ever have the sink fall out yet?
I was washing baby bottles and it just dropped. Sink was about half full on one side. The undermount glued on brackets they used are about the dumbest thing I have seen. We are off on an iffy second trip.

Attachment 3172

Oldgold---Yep our's did on our first long road trip. This was after it just coming out of the shop for them to look for a water leak that ruined all the lower cabinets. The sink is installed in such a way it is just a matter of time for it to start leaking then falling in. Our 2017 is back in the shop having the cabinets replaced and the new sink put in. Hopefully it will stay put this time.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #53

THOR #1020
Wow - I am going to check our sink. Not good!!
Old 10-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #54
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier 26 View Post
Wow! Thanks for all that info. I am sure the RV community is the best. I have a while to wait and that will be hard. So for now we are buying bedding and kitchen stuff. My wife is busy checking for deals and melting the CC. Oh well.

My next project is to put together a tool kit without spending a fortune. Any ideas for essential tools or parts that I should not travel without would be great. I'm reasonably mechanical but by no means an engine mechanic.

Thanks again. You guys are great.
Hoosier

Do you have the VIN for the unit you will be getting? My recommendation is that if the VIN is available, contact THOR and ask if they are willing to send you the diagrams (fresh and waste water, electrical (12 VDC and 120 VAC) and structural wall) prior to delivery of the coach. Also if they have it available ask for the build sheet which lists all components and component serial numbers. With the build sheet I was able to go on-line and download the operator's manual for almost every component on my coach and then assemble that into a digital library on my iPad.

As to tools and accessories the first things I recommend are, a good accurate tire pressure gauge (min 100 PSI), 50 amp surge protector, and water pressure regulator. I also carry spare fuses (various amperage ratings), plumbers tape (white and yellow), a tube of silicone caulk and a roll of electrical tape. My tool bag includes common hand tools as well as a hatchet for splitting firewood. For screwdrivers, inside the coach you will find every head screw imaginable to include straight, Phillips, torx and square head.

I'm sure others have their thoughts but the above is what has worked for me over the years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #55

THOR #1020
Hoosier 26 - in your new coach you will never be sure of which screw head you'll find. A variety of cross, straight, hex or clutch heads. So I bought a 32 piece assortment from Home Depot. Here is a link: Klein Tools 32-Piece Standard Tip Bit Set-32526 - The Home Depot

Also a MUST have is a compressor for maintaining correct PSI. There are several but I like the Porter-Cable Oil Free. It has a number of features and is solid while storing easily. Here is a link: https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...FxEaAmN18P8HAQ

If you air your tires one time without a lockon chuck you'll immediately go buy one of these straight lockon on airline chucks. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are the gottas for me. I carry assorted sockets up to the largest used on the coach, torque wrench, pliers, vise grips, regular screw drivers, an electric drill - heck I even have a sabre saw.

Hope this helps.

PS: 2 adder items that aren't tools but monitors I believe are absolute necessities.

1. Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We've got fuel, oil and temperatures gauges but the one system that can fail and cause serious bodily harm are the tires. The TPMS is given for our thinking (we had a friend's motorhome totally destroyed by fire due to overheating tires).

Here is the one we put on: TST 507

2. Electrical surge protector. With all the electrical 'stuff' we have in our home on wheels, we have zero protection against spikes and low current flow. We put this one in - it is a built in and works. Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Shop around on both of these - they can vary as much as $100 from online sellers.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #56

THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Wow - I am going to check our sink. Not good!!

This is what they are "supporting" it with... there is only one bracket left out of 8 glue globs still attached and the really weird thing is there are only 4 brackets to be found anywhere. I'm guessing it already fell once at some point.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't glue/cement the entire top flange of the sink to the bottom of the corian top. Or say to hell with it and surface mount from the top. The sink in mine is a top mount sink being mounted as an undermount from what I see. I may just knock off the little bolt taps and drop it in from the top.

Name:	IMG_2660.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	3176

Name:	IMG_2662.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	3177
Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #57

THOR #5655
So much to learn

Again thanks to everyone that responded to my post. You have given such great feedback. Now I have some concrete things to do to get ready for delivery day. About two months to go and I can see that between work, normal family stuff and prepping for RV ownership that time will go by quickly. That's ok I always do better when I'm busy.

This sink thing has me concerned. Has anyone talked with a Thor Rep about this? Seems like it would be an easy fix if they just did it right from the original install. The pictures helped to understand what the issues are. I'll look at mine closely when I take delivery in December.

I appreciate the recommendations for tools and the air compressor. There is a Home Depot down the street from my office so I will check out several items and because I still have time Amazon is possible too.

I spoke with the Thor Regional Sales Manager who has driven all over in a Challenger. And he thinks the steering stabilizer and Sumosprings (sp?) are not needed with the new F53 Chassis to provide safety and ride quality. I noticed several people have made these upgrades from the beginning. Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #58

THOR #1020
Hoosier 26 - I put the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer on our coach not to improve the ride or handling but rather to help in the case of a front wheel blow out. After I watched the video in the link below, I thought it was well worth a few $s to help avoid the catastrophic results. I did the Cheap Handling Fix just to get a bit of an edge in strong cross winds. After our latest wind assault on I-40 just west of Albuquerque, I was glad I did.

IMO the 252" wheel base, 22.5" tires and with a bit of liquid in tanks the Challenger handles/rides super.

PS: I also forgot to mention - a little cheapy electrical multi-meter that you can use to check current and/or continuity should also be in start out tool bag.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #59

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Looks like driver is moving along at fairly good speed; although it's hard to say with any accuracy.

Would be nice to have scientific data on whether these devices help or not.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #60

THOR #5536
For the sink repair.. I would loosen the wing nuts all the way around slightly and get a good non mold kitchen grade adhesive caulk and shoot it between the sink and the counter all the way around. Then tighten back the wing nuts.

I've completely disassembled mine and have reglued the wing nut bases up and am about to glue the sink. I'm probably going to use bolts and a couple 2x4s like it was a new install to force the sink upward to glue it up. Then add the wing nuts back for extra security. I'll post some pics once it's done.

I love a new RV...